Clear all

Anyone own a Genos?

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yes I know this is the Montage Synth section but I wanted the opinion of a fellow Montage owner who also owns a Genos.

As I already have 7 synths, I though if I did buy another keyboard it might be something like the new Genos2, but have no experience of this sort of keyboard.

It would be nice to hear opinions of people who own a Genos and also a Montage/MODX to see what their experience of using the Genos is ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted : 16/11/2023 4:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

A plug for Paul's blog who may chime in later here.

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/category/genos/

I think it may be too early to really tell - but most Genos 1st generation owners who are looking at the paper specs conclude (without trying the Genos2) that the improvements are not revolutionary and/or enticing enough to trade up at a cost. On the other hand, now is probably a great time to get a Genos, first generation, if an arranger keyboard is something you want/need.

Posted : 16/11/2023 4:36 pm
Prominent Member

As I already have 7 synths, I though if I did buy another keyboard it might be something like the new Genos2, but have no experience of this sort of keyboard.

A lot depends on what you want to use it for.

The Genos models are more arranger/workstation category whereas Montage/Modx are synthesizers.

Are you looking for somehing to gig with?

Or is it more for studio work? Do you want to do arranging? Composing? Sequencing? Mixing? Creating your own digital or analog sounds? Primarily interested in drum sounds and capabilities?

Posted : 16/11/2023 4:44 pm
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies, hereโ€™s a brief description of me ๐Ÿ™‚

Iโ€™m a retired software developer with somewhat of an obsession for synths and keyboards (I retired 2 years ago when I was 60). I donโ€™t play in a band and I donโ€™t record anything, I just play โ€œliveโ€ to myself.

I rely on arps and sequences that Iโ€™ve set up and I then play as many synths as possible at once to make some kind of tune/noise which I make up as I go along. I liken this to the old fashioned plate spinners that you used to see at circuses ๐Ÿ˜€

I love the whole process of making sound, playing about with sound and creating new sounds but Iโ€™m wondering if Iโ€™d benefit from an arranger type keyboard to give myself something new to play around with.

Hope this all makes sense ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted : 16/11/2023 5:48 pm
 Paul

Thanks for plugging the site, guys! Wonder when Yamaha will fly me out to a launch as an influencer? ๐Ÿ˜€

Yep, I own and play both MODX (close enough to Montage?) and Genos1. Andrew is spot on. We all can hear Bad Mister (Phil) asking, "What do you want to do with your music?" What are your goals? Your process? I always ask myself, "What can I do tomorrow with new keyboard XYZ that I cannot do today?" If my answer is weak, then I dive further into my 'boards and try to learn more.

As to Genos2 specifically, I'm still studying it. Jason summarized the evolving conventional wisdom quite succinctly.

I gig with MODX and play Genos at home. It's a weight/size thing as literally everything is herniated. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I do enjoy the FSX keybed and I use the auto-accompaniment and record features to knock out guide demos for our church group. I don't do one-man-band. The Genos woodwind sounds are killer and SArt is sooo more intuitive than XA.

That's a quick take -- pj

Posted : 16/11/2023 5:49 pm
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Cheers Paul. I think we both answered at the same time there! (I was probably 1 minute before you posted)

I will check out your blog

Posted : 16/11/2023 5:55 pm
 Paul

Hi John --

Your response came in while I was hitting Reply.

I would recommend getting your feet wet with an arranger keyboard. (I'm retired from CS, too.) With more time on your hands, why not wear out your welcome at a brick and mortar retailer? I don't make impulse purchases anymore -- and $5,700 is hardly in the impulse purchase zone. ๐Ÿ˜€

Finding a Genos to play in North America is a challenge. There are a few small dealers who specialize in arranger keyboards. I used to drive from Boston down to AudioProCT in Connecticut to try things out. Made a day of it including a stop at Sand's Deli -- the best freakin' deli in the Hartford area. :p

There are also much cheaper Yamaha arranger keyboards. Even the lowly PSR-SX600 ($1,100 MAP) might be enough to get a taste without dropping big bucks.

Wishing you the best -- pj

Posted : 16/11/2023 5:57 pm
 John
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks. Iโ€™m in the UK and have previously visited Gear4Music in York to have a play around with synths. BonnersMusic have a few stores, the nearest to me being Milton Keynes so I suppose I could go there instead. It seems like none of these places have any stock at the moment so I have the time to investigate on the internet before visiting these places.

Posted : 16/11/2023 6:02 pm
 Paul

Ahhh, lucky you, John. North America is an arranger keyboard desert.

Posted : 16/11/2023 6:17 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I see Genos 2 in stock at select Guitar Centers. Hollywood, CA. Didn't find any (at GC) in or around NYC (including surrounding states).

Dallas AND nearby Arlington Texas both have stock. Which is unique because around here out of a long list of stores only one has the Genos 2. Mainly it seems that if you're lucky one store will have it (and only one per wide area).

If in NA and willing to take a road trip - they can be found. Of course GC isn't the only game in town - just the most ubiquitous around here.

Posted : 16/11/2023 7:06 pm
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us