Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone using a home audio amp with home stereo speakers with their Montage?

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Anyone using a home audio amp with home stereo speakers with their Montage?

Instead of the "normal" powered speakers.

Posted : 23/01/2017 11:04 pm
david
Reputable Member

You can use anything that sounds good (would add coloration) but a top-shelf pair of studio monitors with sub is highly recommended. Something well respected/proven that has some headroom (reserve power) for ambiance reproduction without causing distortion in those big moments.

Posted : 23/01/2017 11:20 pm
Bad Mister

There maybe many people doing this... what you want to know is, what is the best way to do this?

You need to recognize that the INPUTS on your "home audio amp" are each rated for a specific input sensitivity. If you connect the OUTPUTS of a device and it does not match the INPUT that is expected, you can do damage to your gear, and get just terrible results.

Typically, "home audio amps" do not have LINE LEVEL (TRS) balanced inputs, nor do that have TS 1/4" inputs at all. (For good reason!) If you wish to use your amp and home stereo speakers, YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN... but you must get the proper device to 'prepare' the signal for the available INPUT on your home audio amp. (Don't just get a 1/4" to RCA cable... do some research and find out what the selected input is expecting, beyond the input jack size!

Typically, consumer level inputs of -10 would be found on the integrated amplifier in a home system. You would need to get a small format mixer or device (preferably with some kind of pad) that can take a Line Level signal and output a consumer level signal. The Montage Outputs can be set to Output levels of -6dB, 0dB, +6dB, +12dB so you do have some ability to scale back the output of the Montage - but check to make sure you selected INPUT on your home system can handle the signal.

Posted : 23/01/2017 11:22 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Yikes... so not that simple then...

Posted : 24/01/2017 3:47 am
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I am just trying to get a "cleaner", "more organized" look... for my home.

Speakers with speaker covers, less cords/wires, etc...

And I thought that floor-standing (maybe?) speakers would sound a little better...

Posted : 24/01/2017 4:01 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Here's a discussion on sound reinforcement for Montage with various suggestions and general guidance. This isn't the only other thread that covers the topic.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/speakers-of-choice-for-montage

Posted : 24/01/2017 5:48 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello G - it's beginning to seem you and I are much alike! I use a Sony mini-hifi system as a main amplifier/speaker set-up, plugged into a 4 channel mixer to balance the inputs (the Montage is on factory-set output). Works better (from my perceived sound viewpoint) than my powered monitors - which are admittedly less than the best. Montage seems more demanding than either my Tyros 3 or Korg M3 when it comes to reproducing the sounds it generates. Speaker placement is quite important, the main thing being to avoid corners and have them pointing straight at you where you normally sit. and not more than about 2 metres apart. Ideally at head height (sitting down) but I've not found that especially effective - though on the floor might be a step too far! They should sit on a soft surface (a rubber mat or a bit of carpet) rather than on a hard surface (a wooden shelf). It depends how critical you are yourself - I'm not - and there are dozens of other things like size and shape of room, windows, soft furnishings etc:. It sounds as if you have to convince a wife, as well! Not easy, man! I got round that one by converting a cubby-hole out in the barn - but I'm lucky enough to have a barn!

Posted : 24/01/2017 2:30 pm
david
Reputable Member

Your sound production system can serve (2) very distinct purposes. If you just want to have a jam session and to rock-out then you could hook up to your home stereo and or PA or floor monitors etc. However if you want a truly authentic stereo field, studio quality reproduction setup for recording then you need something much, much better. That would involve acoustic room treatments, strategically positioned high power monitors, clean powered sub etc. like have been mentioned already. These are totally different final audio products, perhaps both enjoyable but both extremely different.

Posted : 24/01/2017 4:16 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks everyone!

I guess it might help if I explain what I am using the Montage 8 for... 🙂

I am just using the Montage as a digital piano/synth - to play at home.

I don't record, or mix, or anything like that.

I am just looking for speakers/sound system to will portray a large, deep, rich, sound like you would hear if it was a "real" acoustic concert grand piano I was playing in the room (approx 14 ft. x 20 ft.) - along with the other synth sounds.

So the speakers are more for both me AND OTHERS IN THE ROOM LISTENING TO ME to hear... and not just for me directed at my ears only...

Posted : 24/01/2017 7:28 pm
david
Reputable Member

I see. Sounds like you just want to play in your room for entertainment but you'll pick up room ambiance, reflections and phasing problems and a separated stereo field from however your speakers are situated. You have lots of sound coloration with a mixer that you can tweak to taste. It will still sound good but probably not amazing depending on where the listener is in the room. With the Montage in a true stereo imaging situation with room treatments and a sub will sound outstanding. The more precise environmental controls the better result.

Posted : 24/01/2017 8:09 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Oh, and another thing, lol 🙂

I have the Montage not facing the wall of the room - but just the opposite - facing into the room with my back to the wall.

If that makes any sense...

Posted : 24/01/2017 8:52 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello G - makes perfect sense if you're playing to an audience. Are your speakers therefore behind you? On my set-up I have the Montage, a Tyros 3, and a Korg M3, arranged in a horse-shoe, with my chair in the middle so's I can play any of them. On the Montage the speakers are in front of me, on the Korg they're behind me, and on the Tyros they're on my left. Being a small room, I can't say I particularly notice, but in a large room like yours I'd be tempted to have them further apart and aimed two thirds of the way down the room - when I had a proper studio (about your room size) I found this arrangement worked best, with me sitting some 12 feet in front of the speakers, and the speakers about 10 feet apart (they were 12" Torques). Again, I think you'd benefit from using a small mixer to balance the outputs, and also to give the treble and bass a tweak - not all Montage sounds are equally portrayed, especially if your speakers cost less than the Montage did ...

Posted : 25/01/2017 9:50 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us