Clear all

Are Motif Arpeggios included on the Montage

22 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Tommy
Eminent Member

Wait, What?!!?
Thanks to this bb's Jason, I just did download an entire Made-for-Montage Library file, with ALL the Motif XF Performances in it, and YES, they have the linked Arpeggios.

I believe this is the link Jason sent me, which I used to download them.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/downloads.html

Posted : 17/03/2018 2:57 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

With older firmware the count was 576 Performances that used ARPs. The point of my analysis was to demonstrate "none of them" is incorrect. Although I agree there were, with the older firmware analyzed, a low percentage.

Today - things are a bit different. Those who lament losing the XF Performances (you see this mentioned in the thread) now have access to all of the XF Performances to load as a library or pull-in as user Performances. Therefore any "ARPiage" that was afforded with Motif XF will be transplanted to Montage. The download is on the Montage support page (download section).

The ARPs are inside Montage. That's not a reason to get or hold on to a Motif.

Motif has a sequencer. Motif has a sampler. Motif has transport controls. There are a few other things -- those are reasons possibly to keep or seek a Motif depending on what your goals are.

Today's answer to sequencer is to use a DAW. Works for me - but not universally for all. Today's answer to the sampler is to use the PC (and soon to be release Sample Robot). Transport controls do not currently have a "replacement" without buying additional hardware.

Posted : 17/03/2018 3:39 am
studio460

Thanks for that clarification, Jason! So, I gather that when the Montage first came out, Motif arp performances-with-sound weren't resident on the board (or, they could be had, but required a laborious conversion process). Then, Montage's latest 2.0 firmware update added the ability to import Motif performances and sounds intact (sorry, I'm not too fluent in Yamaha's terms). And now, Yamaha has made the factory Motif sounds (including the arps with all of their performance data and associated sounds) available for all to freely download into their Montages. Great!

I'm slowly moving toward 100% DAW-recording in Logic Pro X, so I won't need the Motif's sequencer. I own a Kronos 2, so I have plenty of sampling capability there, in addition to the computer's ability to sample and manipulate sounds via products like Omnisphere and others. So, I guess there's a Montage somewhere still in my future! Thanks again for your help!

Posted : 17/03/2018 5:33 am
studio460

Thanks for your comment, and for re-posting the link, Tommy!

Posted : 17/03/2018 5:39 am
 Alex

Ok. So we can confirm that the Performance (MOXF style to be clear) present in the Montage, amount to about 500, I understand? This at least in previous versions to 2.0
So I will have about 500 Combi (let's call them so to speak) available already in the factory, scattered in the Live Sets and in the total 2,000 "Voices" of the Montage. It's correct?

In addition, from version 2.0 you can import all Motif Performance, and I wonder: even the most recent (and I think very well done) performances that are present in the MOXF? Because we read only those of Motif XF but not MOXF. Is there a way to import those too?
Thank you so much for the clarification on the questions reported.

Posted : 06/05/2018 4:43 pm
Bad Mister

To be clearer still, you need to get into the language of the product... and don't always seek to define it by old terms. It might seem a "thing to do" but to best understand what's on tap and how it works, forgive me if I frame it a different way.

If you understand the MOXF, we can use that knowledge to help you get what MONTAGE is about. The MOXF was the cost down version of the Motif XF. And while it didn't have the metal case or two flash slots, nor could it sample... it was compatible with all Motif XF Voices, Arpeggios, and Waveforms. This meant anything you could build in a Voice or Performance or Song/Pattern Mixing could be replicated in the MOXF. A major reason for it's universal popularity... it was, and still is, for all intents and purposes, the Motif XF in an affordable package... sans the top-of-the-line elegance (and sampler, FW expansion, Etc.)

The MONTAGE can load all Voices, Arpeggios and Waveforms made for the Motif XS/XF and the MOXF. This includes the ability to import Motif XF and/or MOXF Voices or Performances directly to MONTAGE. Just as all 7881 Motif XF Arpeggios are included among the MOXF's 7981... all of them appear among the the MONTAGE's 10,231 Arpeggio phrases.

There are no "Combi" and there are no "Voices" - those terms do not apply in MONTAGE.

A Performance can be any number of active Parts from one to sixteen. Coming from a MOXF background - each Part can contain the equivalent of a MOXF VOICE, that is, if you use it for an AWM2 sampled based PART. This means a Part could be an eight Element "Normal" sound, or a seventy-three Element "Drum Kit" sound. But in MONTAGE you can enlist as many as eight Parts to create a sound by linking them together under KBD CTRL. Activating this KBD CTRL allows you to play them as a single entity, as layers, as a complex split/layer, even Assign one or all eight to have its own Arpeggiator. Additional you have an 8 Operator FM-X synth that can occupy any Part slot... sounds can be be constructed using both in creative and interactive ways.

You can see how this can certainly include what you remember from the MOXF as a "Performance" (four Parts, four Arpeggiators, could be a layer or a split, or a complex split/layer.. Arps, drums, bass, etc.). The MONTAGE has expanded that idea with its 16 Part Performance, 8 simultaneously playable at once Concept.

You can see how MOXF Voice is Single Part MONTAGE Performance. A MOXF four Part Performance is easily recreated in the 8 simultaneous KBD CTRL setup with its eight Arps. A MOXF Mixing setup is what a Performance is in MONTAGE... but instead of all the slots being automatically filled, in MONTAGE, you get to decide how many Parts you wish to engage, and how.

Posted : 06/05/2018 5:26 pm
 Alex

You have been very clear Bad, and it is a pleasure to acquire information in this sense. Thank you.
My question, while understanding the substantial differences of "Names", just wanted to try to simplify and understand the substantial differences in terms of real "Presets".
But with this video found on the net, for example, I already found a clear answer to one of my questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOnQ5BwHI0

Posted : 06/05/2018 5:38 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us