Clear all

ARE WE THERE YET?

23 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason - that's nothing if not thorough! It is such a shambles I'm staying out of it. I downloaded it from Stefan's link (Montage 8 only) yesterday, but have absolutely no intention of installing it until Yamaha have got their act together and confirmed it's OK via normal channels everywhere. I'm quite happy with v1.50, knowing its limitations - although the chance of a power-cut during start-up remains a worry!

Posted : 11/03/2017 10:36 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

If I had v1.50, I'd upgrade to v1.51 using any of the links provided (and there are several viable options presented in the forum by various users). I say this because for me it would be better to get "out from under" the bug in v1.50 than have any concern that part of the USA site does not list v1.51 while a direct link on the USA site does take you to v1.51.

That said, any reason you have for not upgrading is valid for your own keyboard(s).

It's really not going to take long for Yamaha to update the site.

Posted : 11/03/2017 10:46 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... I listed 3 other links in the Americas that are known to work. 5 in Europe that are known to work. I'm sure all 3 models (6/7/8) work as well in the listed Locales which makes 24 links. Probably all other geos not tested work as well - so the count is likely higher.

It's not clear from your report exactly what steps you took to do a backup. If you backed up after upgrading - then this was not adhering to the firmware upgrade instructions. Not clear if you used a stick containing your previous backup file(s) to do the upgrade [placing the .PGM file on this stick] - which would also have been a deviation. I'm left to speculate because the details of exactly what happened are not provided.

Posted : 11/03/2017 7:15 pm
Lawrence
Trusted Member

Jason wrote:

If in the USA - maybe download the Canadian version, eh?

Canadian version worked fine for me. :-=)

Posted : 11/03/2017 7:19 pm
Stefan

Rod wrote:

Hello Jason - that's nothing if not thorough! It is such a shambles I'm staying out of it. I downloaded it from Stefan's link (Montage 8 only) yesterday, but have absolutely no intention of installing it until Yamaha have got their act together and confirmed it's OK via normal channels everywhere. I'm quite happy with v1.50, knowing its limitations - although the chance of a power-cut during start-up remains a worry!

Hi Rod, I had my first gig today with 1.51. No problems. But of course it is valid to stay on 1.50 until you got confirmation. But to reassure you: I was using 1.50 since the first day it was available. I know that for various reasons it happened at least 3 times for me that it was switched off during the startup phase. Once was after I knew that was a potential problem... Needless to say that nothing happened. So the chance is probably low that anything happens at all. You need to pick a very small window for anything to happen...

Posted : 11/03/2017 10:17 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

I downloaded and installed the Canadian 1.51 on my Montage 7 yesterday. It all went fine. The readme file said that the install would wipe out all of my stuff, so I did a full backup first. But it turns out that everything was still there once I did the update.

I was slightly worried that the Canadian 1.51 would be taking up memory with a French version of all the user interface text, but that seems not to be the case since I don't see a language option anywhere in the settings.

Posted : 12/03/2017 10:23 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello - OK, the v1.51 update is now correctly listed on the Yamaha download site. Hooray! I'll get it done probably tomorrow as today looks a bit full up. 96.94Mb still looks a lot for a minor glitch that didn't always glitch anyway? But the only certain way to invisibly repair scuffed paint on your car door is to re-spray the whole car ... nice that so far there have only been positive reports about v1.51 (insofar as there have been no negative ones ... ). Press on!

Posted : 13/03/2017 6:56 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Rod wrote:
. 96.94Mb still looks a lot for a minor glitch that didn't always glitch anyway? But the only certain way to invisibly repair scuffed paint on your car door is to re-spray the whole car ...

It would be a very uncommon practice for a firmware update to target only a portion of the firmware storage. Firmware is typically stored inside the type of part that you begin by ERASING - then "fuse" the new data into the part. Therefore, one must - by nature of the beast - update the entire part even if the only change is to a single bit of data.

Do not look at the file size as an indication of how much has changed for this or any other product.

Also, some data in the firmware release is documentation.

Posted : 13/03/2017 10:18 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us