Clear all

Arp Problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I have a Performance consisting of: Part 1 - Drums, Part 2 - Bass, Part 3 - Steel Drums.

Parts 1 and 2 are set Arp Hold On. I trigger them by holding various chords with my left hand. They are set to respond to the left half of the keyboard.

Part 3 is set Arp On (not Hold). I play the melody (Sitting Here In Limbo, in case it's of interest) with my right hand, and a Steel Drum arp supplies the repeated mallet strikes. Part 3 responds to the right half of the keyboard.

The problem I'm having is that when I'm holding a chord down with my left hand, the Part 3 arp does not play.

I've discovered that the Part 3 arp will play if I just hit chords momentarily with my left hand. But I'm more used to holding the chord down until I'm ready to play the next one, and would prefer to keep doing things that way.

I'm hoping someone can tell me what's going on and whether there is a way to fix it so that it works the way I want it to.

Posted : 21/07/2016 1:08 am
Bad Mister

Not enough information to give you a definitive answer. There are two Note Limit regions you need to set.
1) Part Note Limits which control what notes sound from a Part
2) Arp Note Limits which control what notes control/trigger the Arp

Sounds like you have the Arp Note Limits set improperly.

Here's the difference

PART NOTE LIMIT: press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT n]
Touch "Part Settings" > "General" > set the Note Limit for Part. You need to set limit the Steel Drum to the right side of the keyboard,

ARP NOTE LIMIT: press [EDIT]
Press [PART SELECT n]
Touch "Arpeggio" > "Common" > set the range of notes you want to control the arps.

For the drums the arp Note Limit could be across the full keyboard.
But for the bass you do not want your right hand sound (Steel Drums) interfering with the instructions you are giving the bass. Especially if the bass is a mono sound. Figure out the Arp Note Limit by keeping the Steel Drum from interfering with the notes controlling the bass and vice versa.

I can only guess at how you set these important Note Limit parameters but if you check them you will undoubtedly find the conflict.
Hope that helps get you started.

Posted : 21/07/2016 2:21 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Thanks, Bad Mister. That was the problem.

I had the ARP NOTE LIMIT for the steel drums set to include the entire keyboard. Meanwhile, the PART NOTE LIMIT for them was set to the right half of the keyboard. So apparently, when I held down a chord with my left hand, the arp for the steel drums was actually playing, but it was playing the notes I was holding with my left hand, which were below the PART NOTE LIMIT, so no sound was produced.

I fixed the ARP NOTE LIMIT to be only the right side of the keyboard, and the problem went away.

I also have a dim memory that I had a similar problem on the XF7 years ago, and you helped me with it back then. But there's so much stuff to keep track of in this world of digital synthesizers that I'm not surprised that some of it falls out of my head now and then…

Posted : 22/07/2016 3:23 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us