Bug in knob detection (solved)

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

I just noticed the automatic knob detection stopped working when doing knob assignments at the part level! Very annoying to have to search for the knobs in the list!

Posted : 11/09/2016 8:05 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

this problem only happens in one of my performaces so far. I have no idea why.

Posted : 18/09/2016 6:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure I've seen this issue yet.

I'm using v1.02 (not v1.20) firmware. Since i cannot downgrade - I'm digging into the release firmware first before upgrading -- or unless there is something I absolutely need that I cannot do with the older firmware. Yes - user arps was up there - but the threshold has not been crossed yet where I need to perform with the arp I was planning on generating.

It would be great if the problem could be reproduced by starting with an AWM2 initialized voice and adding some standard preset part or some other 1,2,3 procedure that can be duplicated.

Posted : 18/09/2016 6:34 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Bingo, tried on a preset today and the problem ist there. Open "Rezz Punch" and go to edit - control, activate the green little "auto detect" and move the knobs. Nothing happens! Knobs are not detected!

Posted : 19/09/2016 6:51 am
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Ok, I figured it out. You have to press the assign button next to the superknob. I think this was not mentioned in the superknob lessons.

Posted : 19/09/2016 9:24 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Good news - I think I see what you're seeing. Rezz Punch, by default, does not detect when you spin the assignable knobs.

However, I bet you that if you tried some of the other controls - auto detect would detect them.

Looking at the list - some of the sources have no buttons or dials to turn (like envelope follower and MS Lane). So these we would expect would never auto detect because they have no interface to detect.

However, the other detectable controls - try:

1) Pitch Bend
2) Modulation Wheel
3) The [ASSIGN 1] or [ASSIGN 2] button
4) Mash down on a key hard enough to make "aftertouch" get detected
5) Touch the ribbon area
6) If you have any foot controllers - activate them

You'll probably notice that all of the above work fine and it's just the knobs that are not detected.

Bad news - this isn't a problem.

Why? Well, the assignable knobs are not detected because they're not activated. The knobs which can be assignable knobs can also be other knobs - hard-coded knobs with functions printed above the knobs (1=Cutoff, 2=Resonance, etc.. if the [TONE] button is lit. or 1=Low, 2=Low Mid/Mid F, etc. if the [EQ/FX] button is lit, and 1=Swing, 2=Unit Multiply, etc.. if the [ARP/MS] button is lit). In order for these knobs to be assignable knobs, the [ASSIGN] button - which is to the right of the assignable knobs and to the left of the super-knob - must be activated.

Press the [ASSIGN] button and try again.

It's fun(damental) to learn these - and a great way to learn is to bump into behavior like this and leverage the forum.

Now going off on a "related tangent":

I sure wish the non-assign function of one row of these knobs was still tempo - and I'm sure the organ grinders would appreciate an extra fader to truly get all 9 bar control at once. The silkscreen around the 9th fader could be reverse (white background) and make this one an assignable fader vs. tied to part 1-8 control. Just an idea for Montage 2. Of course above the new fader - a knob which assumes tempo at least when [ARP/MS] is lit.

Posted : 19/09/2016 9:25 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

... looks like I was busy typing at the same time you already found the answer to the (non)issue. Good job - and no firmware necessary.

Posted : 19/09/2016 9:39 am
Bad Mister

Bad news - this isn't a problem.

How is this "Bad news"?

Posted : 19/09/2016 3:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Depends on your perspective. Gabi invested in a firmware change request for this non-issue. I guess I could've kept it positive:

1) Good news is I see the behavior I believe you're describing on my own keyboard
2) Good news is that your conclusions are flawed.

Instead, decided to be empathetic to his position and journey to get there. Different strokes.

By the way - I dig your approach, value all of your feedback and comments, and understand that contradictory opinions can all be correct.

Posted : 19/09/2016 4:29 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Bad MIster, I went over this again and nowhere in the first superknob lesson do I find the instruction that you have to press the assign button next to the superknob. I don't remember ever reading it in the subsequent lessons either. But it's very important and probably should be mentioned, especially since the lesson about the assignable knobs comes after all the superknob lessons and people have no idea about the knobs and all those buttons while they're trying to learn the superknob.

Posted : 21/09/2016 9:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us