Notifications
Clear all

Buying a PA system for my Montage 8

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello guys,

I am looking at this speaker set to buy for my Montage. There is only a single line-level input, however. Is this good enough for the Montage or do I need to have two line level inputs on the powered speaker for the L & L/R outputs on the Montage?

Thank you.

https://djcity.com.au/product/ld-systems-mix62-g3-set-2-way-speaker-pair-with-mixer/

Posted : 17/03/2020 9:46 am
Bad Mister

The speaker does not have the type of pro Line level inputs you would plug your MONTAGE into. Frankly, these are speakers more for a small (DJ) system, not a professional keyboard... Consumer line level is typically -10dB and this system uses 1/8” mini-jacks for line level inputs, the RCA line level is suitable for DJ gear, turntables, etc.

Your MONTAGE Output will overwhelm the inputs on those speakers. and you’d need to use adapters (warning: if you find yourself buying adapters to simply plug in your device, you may have the wrong gear). The Combi jacks are clearly labeled “Mic” which means they are looking for inputs as low level as -50dB ... Do not plug the MONTAGE into an input where the input is set for a microphone (very weak signal)... you will likely distort that input if you plug into it directly.

If you think of signal flow like water in a pipe system then plugging-in the MONTAGE into the inputs available here would be like asking your friend to drink from a *fire hose*... it will simply overload them.. not a good match. The MONTAGE output is like the fire hose, and your speaker system inputs will be completely overloaded by the strength of the incoming signal. (Any water that spills will manifest itself as distortion, major league distortion!)

The specs also say these do not get that loud... (subjective)
are you looking to perform through these with other musicians? or are they for you when playing home alone?

70W RMS and 280W Peak is not what is considered robust (at all)
A 6.5” woofer will not move a lot of air (at all) - that is the size of a medium-sized bookshelf speaker (same size as Yamaha HS7 Home Studio Monitors — which are effective speakers for sitting within 4 or 5 feet maximum.

If you are playing with other musicians, you want to have power in reserve... and the ability to throw your signal across a club sized venue. Studio Monitors are considered “near field” speakers.... because they deliver high quality sound but over a short distance (they are not for entertaining a crowd).

I think if you were to get these for performing “live” you would be aiming too low.
15V Phantom Power? Really? Enough to power a small headset mic (I guess).

For live play with a band in clubs you should look for the following things:
10” woofer or 12” woofer
Power ratings for live play can vary but typical powered speaker rigs these days deliver 700W RMS (minimum) and over 1000W

If you are looking for Home Studio speakers, then get a quality pair of monitors built for this purpose.

I highly recommend going to a music store (one that services musicians, not just DJs) you want to be able to plug your MONTAGE directly into the device without having to adapt the 1/4” TRS Balanced Outputs of your MONTAGE into a single unbalanced 1/8” mini-Jack, or to an RCA input. (Yikes!)

For comparison - take a look at these offerings (for musicians playing live):
__ Yamaha D-series Powered Loudspeaker systems

Personal PA Systems featuring Powered mixer and two speakers: less expensive but convenient setup...
__ Yamaha StagePas systems
The 600i is like 340W per side and the 400i is 200W per side.

Studio Monitors
__ Studio Monitors (near field, powered)

Whatever you do — hear them before purchasing. Hope that helps with your decision making.

Posted : 17/03/2020 12:08 pm
Topic starter

Thank you for that clarification, Bad Mister! Crystal clear!

Posted : 17/03/2020 10:20 pm
Topic starter

Hello again,

I looked up the links that Bad Mister provided and now have this question. Can I hook up a Yamaha DBR10 with a Yamaha CBR10? Is that the correct way to configure the sound set-up or do I need to buy two DBR10's? How does a mixer fit in in all this? I have been looking at Yamaha MG12XU and thought that would be a good addition. So, contemplating on the two options: 1. with a mixer and 2. without a mixer, what should be the ideal configuration in each of those scenarios? The thing is I do not know what combination of equipment is best for a small size pub of around 50 people. I am looking to plug in a guitar and 3 mics plus the Montage. I hope Yamaha DBR10 can do justice to the capabilities of my Montage. Or do I need to aim higher?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted : 19/03/2020 2:46 am
Bad Mister

DBR have power built-in
CBR are passive speakers... so no, if you want a pair of powered speakers you need to get two DBRs

There is a basic mixer built into the DBR powered speakers. You could, for example, plug your MONTAGE Main Left into one box, and the Main Right into the other box. But if you wish to use additional inputs that include a guitar and 3 microphones, you definitely want to get a mixer.

A mixer’s role is to take a variety of different inputs and allow you prepare and combine the signals for output to your powered loudspeakers.

You have, thus far defined six inputs (two from the MONTAGE, one for the guitar, and three microphones).
While I always recommend getting more inputs than you need, you will need to decide on exactly how many additional channels you want to invest in.

You will need to describe (a bit better) about the guitar... plugging a guitar directly into the mixing console is being done more and more these days — especially with the development of all the speaker modeling effects for the guitar (If you have heard the Line 6 Helix you know what I’m talking about). But there was a time I wouldn’t have considered plugging the guitar into the band mixer directly... times change!

As you go up the powered speaker lineup, the more mixing capability is built in, but if you are already looking at six signal sources, you will want to invest in a mixer.

One of the most important rules of setting up a sound system is to aim the speakers at the audience.

Sounds so very basic but, trust me, you would not believe how often this rule is broken. I’ve seen bands put their speakers on poles and then raise the poles so the music is going over everybody’s head. Literally, aim the speakers at the audience. If they are seated — set your speakers ear level!

Remember, as musicians you will also need to hear yourselves. This either means setting the speakers behind you so, you too, can hear them or setup a stage monitoring system.

Posted : 19/03/2020 11:18 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister.

So if I buy two DBR10's and a Yamaha MG12XU mixer, would that be a compatible combination?

Thanks.

Posted : 20/03/2020 4:07 am
Bad Mister

Absolutely!

Posted : 20/03/2020 4:09 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us