Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Calling up Performances via external midi device

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm having difficulty calling up performances from an external device. In this case, my external device is a Tyros 4. Up until buying my Montage, I've successfully been able to insert MSB/LSB/PC data either within a midi file or on a multi pad to call up performances on my Roland Fantom G8 (known as live sets). Great for hands free changes during live gigs and calling up my next song whilst only worrying about pressing buttons on my top keyboard. However, although I have created a few "performances" and have located the MSB/LSB/PC details when clicking on properties of my user performances, I have successfully got a midi file to call up the performance I want, but, this is where I'm lost now, 14 bars into one particular track/song I have inserted another set of MSB..PC criteria to change the Montage onto a different performance. It calls up the correct performance, the screen displays it, all the LEDs change accordingly but no sound is produced when the keys are pressed. I have to either tap the corresponding button on the Live Set page or advance and rewind the performance to allow Montage to make any sound. Not ideal. I have updated to version 1.60 today. This has also caused me headache because although I backed up my user file onto an external USB stick prior to updating the Montage, once the update completed, upon inserting the separate USB stick with my user file back up and attempting to load my user file back in, Montage rejects it as an illegal file. So I have lost a few months of Performances I had been building. Not a happy person at the moment. I'm thinking that the Montage isn't probably the synth for me. Probably a bit too advanced for my needs. But maybe some advice and help and my faith in Montage could be restored! Lol
Cheers

Posted : 09/09/2017 11:12 pm
Bad Mister

Please provide the information you are sending (be specific). Are you sending the Bank Select/PC to recall the Performance or are you sending the Bank Select/PC for the Live Set location? It is not clear from your post.

Posted : 10/09/2017 12:11 am
Topic starter

I'm sending MSB/LSB/PC change messages to call up User Performances (e.g. MSB 63 LSB 80 PC 1 to call up that specific user performance as is detailed when you click the properties of that performance). I'm not trying to call from a live set location. Can I do that?Where do I find the necessary PC numbers?

Edit:
I have since got this to work using the details shown in the User Performance Properties display (I had to insert the MSB/LSB/PC instructions on different points within a beat of a bar) however, there is an unacceptable period of sound dropout once the next Performance is called. Almost a bar of music plays before the new performance patches sound. Would this be rectified if I could call the performance from the Live Set location instead?
Cheers

Wayne

Posted : 10/09/2017 12:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Are you using arpeggios? Sounds like what may happen if an arpeggio needs to finish its cycle. Maybe motion sequence. Just a theory.

Live set information is documented in the "_nf" document which is included with each firmware updated ("New Features" aka "MONTAGE Supplementary Manual").

Live Set
You can now select a desired Live Set Slot by sending the appropriate program change message from an external device. The
Live Set Slots to be selected and the corresponding Bank Select MSBs/LSBs and Program Change Numbers are as follows.
MSB (HEX) LSB (HEX) Program No. Live Set Slot
62 3E 00 00 0 – 15 Page 1, Slot 1 – 16
... continue same MSB below - now just documenting LSB (decimal then hex) for rest
LSB (HEX) Program No. Live Set Slot
1 01 0 – 15 Page 2, Slot 1 – 16
2 02 0 – 15 Page 3, Slot 1 – 16
3 03 0 – 15 Page 4, Slot 1 – 16
4 04 0 – 15 Page 5, Slot 1 – 16
5 05 0 – 15 Page 6, Slot 1 – 16
6 06 0 – 15 Page 7, Slot 1 – 16
7 07 0 – 15 Page 8, Slot 1 – 16
8 08 0 – 15 Page 9, Slot 1 – 16
9 09 0 – 15 Page 10, Slot 1 – 16
10 0A 0 – 15 Page 11, Slot 1 – 16
11 0B 0 – 15 Page 12, Slot 1 – 16
12 0C 0 – 15 Page 13, Slot 1 – 16
13 0D 0 – 15 Page 14, Slot 1 – 16
14 0E 0 – 15 Page 15, Slot 1 – 16
15 0F 0 – 15 Page 16, Slot 1 – 16

Posted : 10/09/2017 2:09 pm
Topic starter

Forgive my ignorance but I have never had to use Hexidecimal data entry before. I've only just got my head round standard midi. My external device is a Tyros 4 so the midi data I have to enter is in standard 0-127 numeric format. I hoped to replace my excellent but extremely heavy Roland Fantom G8 with the sleek and light weight Yamaha Montage 7 but I fear this is going to prove too complicated and too much hassle. I'm probably too long in the tooth to start learning how to use Montage to its full potential. ☹️

Posted : 10/09/2017 5:35 pm
Bad Mister

Wayne wrote:

Forgive my ignorance but I have never had to use Hexidecimal data entry before. I've only just got my head round standard midi. My external device is a Tyros 4 so the midi data I have to enter is in standard 0-127 numeric format. I hoped to replace my excellent but extremely heavy Roland Fantom G8 with the sleek and light weight Yamaha Montage 7 but I fear this is going to prove too complicated and too much hassle. I'm probably too long in the tooth to start learning how to use Montage to its full potential. ☹️

And you don't have to start using Hexidecimal data entry now...

The Tyros4 will allow you to use standard decimal numbers to input Bank Select and Program Changes. I don't know how "long in the tooth" you are but I resemble that remark, and will measure teeth (proudly) with you at any time! 🙂

Now, let's speak plain English and setup your Bank Select and Program Change info.
What is very important in sending the data is the MSB/LSB must be received first by the device, followed by the Program Change event.

Yamaha sequencers ease the task of sending this three Part message by creating a "packed event", xxx-xxx-xx
So entering the 063-080-000 will select "CFX +FM EP"

Now, yes, you can have your Sequence recall a LIVE SET location using the proper MSB/LSB number and a PC through sixteen..
MSB 062
LSB 000
PC 000-015 to select the slot 1-16.

062-000-000 will select Page 1, slot 1
062-001-000 will select Page 2, slot 1

Posted : 10/09/2017 6:34 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

The first number in the data is decimal. Second is hex.

15 decimal = 0F hex
62 decimal = 3E hex

The table in the new features document (PDF) gives a better table version with the same information (was cut/paste from "nf" doc).

"Program Number" is how Yamaha likes to reference "PC" (Program Change). Typically the distinction is that Program Number starts with a 1 and PC starts with 0. At any rate - if you don't hear the right thing using a program number value - then subtract one (or add one) until you hear the right thing. Kind of a shotgun approach - but just be aware that PC may be documented as one less or one more than the receiving device is expecting.

Posted : 11/09/2017 12:16 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us