Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can Montage do automatic divisi?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I recently learned that the Roland Jupiter 80 has the ability to set-up layered voices where the synth will do an automatic divisi -- splitting the notes in a chord among the two or more layered instruments rather than having each layer play all of the notes in the chord. I know some software synths (VSL, LASS) can do this, and I have a Tyros 5 that has a special ensemble mode to do this. Can the Montage do this?

Posted : 06/07/2017 9:54 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

There are some fancy ARPs that allow for telling Montage how many of the chord notes to play before stopping. So you could perhaps setup something where PART 1 played the 1st note, and PART2 played the 1st and 2nd. And PART 3 played 1st, 2nd, 3rd. And so on. Not exactly what you wanted - but in the ballpark. The issue is that for some of the more advanced ARP types - we do not have a way to invoke them. Technically, I'm not sure if a non-drum version of this ARP described is available - but the drums have something which can recognize and take action on number of keys pressed in Montage. For this ARP - it was said there is no provision to use that ARP and some things that can be done by presets do not have a facility to be edited/invoked by the programmer.

In general - there are many facets of Tyros that cannot be duplicated. The two products serve different end goals and having all the same features would muddy the difference between the two. Splitting the notes of chords would be useful for a lap pedal steel guitar as I could change the pitch bend range for multiple PARTs and have predictable pitch bend morphing similar to the lap pedal steel.

I was able to get the 2nd and 3rd note of a 3-note chord to play by using different ARPs on different PARTs (for 3rd note, MA_Down Oct1 ; for 2nd node, MA1_Synthlines; for 1st/bottom note, MA_Up Oct1).

The tempo had to be slowed down and I sometimes used 400% tempo. Change timing as real-time.

The basic thought here is that some ARPs start on the 3rd note you play - some on the second - some on the 1st. Then they go on to play other notes. If you "stretched" out the time the 1st note plays (with a slow enough tempo) then you could play a chord for as long as the ARP allows you before it plays the 2nd note. Using different ARPs for different PARTs - you can make each PART play a different note of the chord. You could also use scenes to change each PART's ARP configuration so that you can switch around the order the notes are played (which PART gets middle, which gets top, etc).

There are limitations - but this works for chords that both do not last (drone) forever and do not change too fast because the ARP, even when "real-time" has some need for recovery time so lighting fast stabs do not track well with this method considering tempo has to be slowed way down to allow for holding longer chords.

... I further edited this and set the "MA_Up Oct1" PART (which is playing the bottom note - root if a non-inverted chord) is set to play down two octaves (the ARP setting). I had a CP80 playing bass (root), a Clav in the middle (playing second note) and the All 9 Bars! organ up top playing the top note. If you play more than 3 note chords than the organ plays whatever the top note is - and notes between the 2nd and top note are "lost" for the chord. You can probably setup other ARPs milling around until you find one that starts on the 3rd note instead of what I used which uses the top note. This way you can support 4-note chords. I'm sure it can be done with what's already pre-programmed as ARPs using this method (not without some caveats).

As a proof of concept, it shows some interesting things can be done.

It would be interesting (it may exist) if I could find an ARP that's a Pad which only plays the 2nd note in a chord stack ... or only the 3rd, or 1st, or 3rd. That's basically what I'm attempting to use here. The clav part with the synth line moves first and determines how long the chord can last without the ARP starting to play something on its own.

... certainly not "automatic" - but with some programming - and if you're OK with having a limited amount of time to hold a chord before the chord starts to walk on its own - you can get something that accomplishes the goal of having individual PARTs play different notes within a chord.

If able to somehow load preset ARPs on the computer - retain all the "special sauce" (settings, etc) - and modify note lengths, you could come up with advanced user ARPs using the internal presets as a starting point. I'm not sure all of that is available - the user ARP feature has some primitive capabilities but not changing the sorting order that I'm aware of.

Posted : 07/07/2017 7:50 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us