Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can Montage import Motif XF user samples/voices?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes

So, it was an old Motif XF library from SC-sounds. I don't think it had any arps bundled with the sample library, but I don't know for sure.

I loaded them in as "Voice" data into a library.
They are all single-part, multi key-bank samples.

As I updated above, I found that disabling the "Arp Play Only" setting on the element solved this issue. Am I able to _save_ this change to the loaded Performances, or do I need to export them through "User" space?

Thank you for your help!

Posted : 18/06/2020 7:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You can never change anything in a Library. The only option for a library is to load - which loads all Performances in bulk into a library slot. Or you can delete the library slot altogether. You cannot edit anything inside the library or delete Performances one-by-one.

If you want to "patch" some bad programming inside a Library Performance - you have two choices:

1) In-place (meaning don't get rid of the library) - make a copy of the Library Performance by pressing [STORE] and save a user copy of the Library. You can then edit parameters inside the user Performance. Note that when you [STORE] - the samples (Waveforms) will still reside in the Library and will not be copied to the user area. Instead, the User Performance you [STORE] a copy of will point to the original library - that's where the sample remains stored. You can get into trouble if you decide to delete the Library that contains the samples. If you do this and have User Performances pointing to a deleted library - then those User Performances will stop working.

However, this can be a valid quick-fix if you're not going to remove the Library.

2) You can do what you've mentioned - use the Library Import feature to make a CLONE of the Library Performance. Not just a copy of the parameters without the samples -- import will also duplicate the samples inside the Library to your user area. This Performance that is imported will be self-contained and will not be impacted if the Library used as the source for the import is deleted.

If you wanted to "fix" the Library to resave - then you would import ALL the Performances from the Library. Then, in your user area, edit those Performances you want to change (the Performances in your User area that have been imported from a Library). Then save a new Library - "fixed" library. Then erase the original library. Then load the "fixed" library.

Note you'd want to start this one off by first saving your user area and then clearing (initialize) just your user area. Note there are different types of initialization. Some erase your library and user area. Don't pick those. Just the user initialization.

3) ... alternatively, you could just load your Motif files differently. When loading X3A - you're able to land them directly into the user area instead of loading them into a library slot. So that may be preferred if you know you're going to want to edit things to clean up an X3A for enhanced/tweaked compatibility with Montage. Again, make sure to backup your user area first since loading legacy data (X3A as an example) into your user area will overwrite data in your user area.

Posted : 18/06/2020 11:40 pm
Bad Mister

3) ... alternatively, you could just load your Motif files differently. When loading X3A - you're able to land them directly into the user area instead of loading them into a library slot. So that may be preferred if you know you're going to want to edit things to clean up an X3A for enhanced/tweaked compatibility with Montage. Again, make sure to backup your user area first since loading legacy data (X3A as an example) into your user area will overwrite data in your user area.

Of the “two choices“ offered above, the third is actually the most efficient. Before committing something to Read Only Memory, it simply makes sense to prepare the data and get it exactly as you would like it. Also you may wish to stop and consider what other data you might wish to add to this User Bank, before publishing it to a Library File. XF data (544 programs) leaves 96 MONTAGE Performance slots open in the User Bank (640 programs). And considering all the new features, effects, and programming options to take advantage of... it simply makes sense.

The XF sounds use only 2 Assign Knobs and 6 Control Set (Source/Destinations)... they have no relationship with the 8 Common Assign and the Super Knob... tweaker’s heaven. You can do things you dare not have dreamed about on an XF. 16 Control Sets and 8 Assign Knobs per Part... with the ability to link some of them to the Super Knobs 8 Common Knobs... well, why wouldn’t you.

A previous Motif XF owner would be very familiar with the loading of a file replacing the internal memory. It worked similarly in the XF where loading an ALL data file (.X3A) replaced all user data — (but left your installed Waveform data alone). Saving your User area is standard operating procedure.

Loading a Motif XF ALL data file .X3A requires conversion (takes time) — placing it directly to a Library is an available option, call it a ‘temporary Library‘ - but probably should be only used when handpicking data for a permanent Library creation.

Eventually, you want to make a permanent MONTAGE Library File .X7L — it is more efficient, takes less time to Load than the .X3A conversion. You make a permanent Library by assembling the Motif XF data in the MONTAGE User Bank (updating it) then saving as a Library File.

In the case of an XF Library that features new Waveforms, you definitely want to convert them as VOICE when loading to the MONTAGE. This will create each as the ‘anchor’ Part of a Single Part Performance and ensures all of the Waveforms are correctly catalogued. Loading this to the USER area will allow you to begin to tweak the sounds, starting with Effects... spend time with them in the MONTAGE User area and convert them to a Library only when you’re ready (Save your work to a User File until you feel the data is ready for permanent Library status). Don’t rush yourself.

Extra Credit:
Article Series: MONTAGifying Motif XF

Posted : 21/06/2020 11:46 pm
 Mark

I’ve been reading through this thread and I have been experiencing an associated issue. I have a (.X3A) file. It loads successfully into the Montage USER section. All of the performance play successfully. File size is about 1meg. I save this USER section as a Library and successfully create the library file (.X7L). That file size is now about 2meg. I can re-load this library into the Montage successfully and it works. However when I load the file into the Melas Wave Editor, none of the wave samples appear. I thought generating a library file saved all the data associated with a performance including the waveforms. What am I missing? Thanks - Mark

Posted : 22/06/2020 3:35 am
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us