Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Can the Montage Be Locked? Password, Passcode, PIN?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

SECURITY

Is there a way to "lock" the montage touch sceen or the system in general to prevent undesired tampering or usage by others? I'm aware of the new screen lock feature (pressing shift and common I think it is) but this does not prevent someone who knows how to unlock the system via the same feature from undesired tampering or usage. I play in a number of multi-group performances. I don't want the instrument used without my permission under the assumption that it is available simply because it is on the stage. I think it's kind of tacky or borderline rude to come up with power-chord in hand when our set is up. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Pass Codes, PIN#?

Posted : 09/05/2019 5:04 pm
Bad Mister

I like the power cord idea... lol.
There is not such a password or lock; the best thing you can do is keep a USB stick with a .X7U with your data on it. You can ensure everything is in place by simply restoring your User Memory.

Unless someone comes on stage and Initialized your instrument (how rude) youโ€™ll be back in business assured all settings are as they should be. And if in the unlikely event someone does Initialize all your data, keep a .X7A (Backup All data file) on the same USB stick.

While the .X7U File will restore your User Bank in less than a minute, the .X7A File could take significantly longer (and would be used only in a severe emergency... like someone maliciously Initialized your instrument).

Posted : 09/05/2019 7:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

One of those keyboard socks with a sticky note request/reminder/threat should do it.

Posted : 09/05/2019 10:26 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks to you both. Great ideas.

Posted : 10/05/2019 7:01 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I like the power cord idea... lol.
There is not such a password or lock; the best thing you can do is keep a USB stick with a .X7U with your data on it. You can ensure everything is in place by simply restoring your User Memory.

Unless someone comes on stage and Initialized your instrument (how rude) youโ€™ll be back in business assured all settings are as they should be. And if in the unlikely event someone does Initialize all your data, keep a .X7A (Backup All data file) on the same USB stick.

While the .X7U File will restore your User Bank in less than a minute, the .X7A File could take significantly longer (and would be used only in a severe emergency... like someone maliciously Initialized your instrument).

Bad Mister,

Thanks ?

I backup my Montage using the backup file option. i.e. what I select from the drop down menu. When selecting this option am I backing up โ€œeverythingโ€? All my created user performances, Livesets, any Recorded Performances etc? I should add, Iโ€™m still a couple months new to the Montage, and this is the only backup I perform, on average about once or twice per week if any significant changes or additions have been made. Is it ok to just do the one โ€œbackupโ€ file?

Thanks

Posted : 08/07/2019 3:55 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

When you create a backup file, the filename will be (what you named it).X7A That X7A is a full backup of everything. The "A" stands for "All". If you took a backup file (X7A) from your instrument and loaded it into another - you'd have your full everything. Live Sets, Waveforms, Libraries, User stuff, microtunings, settings, user curves, etc.

The only thing it doesn't do is "backup" the firmware. So be sure the target keyboard matches the firmware level of the source keyboard to ensure preset material is all matching. It'd be something worth adding to the system to save off the firmware version in the X7A file and then have the system warn you if the firmware is older on the system you're loading a backup file than what the backup file uses.

Posted : 08/07/2019 7:09 pm
Peter

I had the same problem leaving my keyboard in a club where I was playing. I solved it by inserting a locking switch in the mains feed inside the case. It was operated by a key. The keyboard body was drilled at the rear to accomodate the switch
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lorlin-Key-Operated-Rotary-Switch-DPDT-2-Position-Random-Keys-CC06/362011924448?hash=item54499797e0:g:h4cAAOSwOMdZRXqU

Posted : 11/07/2019 9:22 am
Share:

ยฉ 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. ย ย  Terms of Useย |ย Privacy Policyย |ย Contact Us