Notifications
Clear all

Cannot figure out performance Snow Flurries

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi for the performance Snow Flurries, I cannot figure out where the motion sequencing is happening thats moving the fm faders all over the place. I see each elements level is moving by itself. Ive searched what I think is everywhere but cannot find the assignment for this. I also see on 2nd LFO movement for the lfo speed and depth. I have no idea how that is working like that. What is going on here?

Posted : 01/12/2021 4:04 am
Bad Mister

Hi for the performance Snow Flurries, I cannot figure out where the motion sequencing is happening thats moving the fm faders all over the place. I see each elements level is moving by itself. Ive searched what I think is everywhere but cannot find the assignment for this. I also see on 2nd LFO movement for the lfo speed and depth. I have no idea how that is working like that. What is going on here?

This is the SmartMorph feature in action. Added in firmware version 3.50

Within the SmartMorph area of the FM-X engine, you can assign a Super Knob Link… this creates a basic Motion Sequence that can automate movement between any two points on the 32x32 Self Organizing Map… you can stop the automated movement and instead use your finger on the SmartMorph Map to manual morph the sound.

The Performance “Snow Flurries” occupies a single Part slot (Part 1), but it is a result of the A.I. technology combining the 8 FM-X Parts (still) occupying Parts 9-16. These represent the ‘source’ material — the result gets written to Part 1.

The source FM-X Parts are left in place as apart of the Performance, even though as you play the Performance, they are completely inactive. The reason being - you can continue to ask the SmartMorph feature to generate new and different variations from these same source FM sounds. Every time you execute an analysis (Learn) it will generate a new “map”. Also it is interesting from the standpoint that you can study what was used to create the current result (Part 1) and then continue to generate more variations based on the same 8 source programs.

This is a “machine learning” function used to generate new, unique FM-X sounds. The source FM-X programs are placed in Part 9 thru 16, and then are analyzed and randomly placed on the 32x32 grid (shown as the white pixels) all the pixel in between are an interpolation of the parameters to morph one sound into the other… as you move your finger across the “map” you are changing scores of parameters creating unique FM-X tones.

Any one of the 1024 pixels can be stored as an FM-X program — but what happens as you move around the grid, is something far beyond what you could fashion manually. The following article goes in depth (a must read), and then I include a link to the Behind the Manual discussion which will give you a good idea of just what this unique feature brings to the table.

Link — Mastering MONTAGE: SmartMorph

"What's neat about Smart Morph is it allows you to do modulations that you cannot do from the already extensive FM parameter menu that you can assign the Assignable Knobs and the Super Knob." — Dr. Manny Fernandez
Link — Behind the Synth - SmartMorph discussion

Posted : 01/12/2021 4:51 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Ah thank you. It is that smart morph. Cool. I totally forgot that as a possibility in the moment. Are we able to isolate which parameters get controlled under the movement for the smart morph? I know we can select which parameters are "sampled" to generate the map. But is it possible to also select parameters to be modulated under that screen movement?

Posted : 01/12/2021 10:18 am
Bad Mister

But is it possible to also select parameters to be modulated under that screen movement?

That’s covered in the first link above. “Mastering MONTAGE: SmartMorph”

There are a total of 35 parameters for the eight Operators, 35 for Common 1 parameters and 34 for Common 2 parameters that can be assigned to each of the colors. When the “Coloring” selection is set to “Auto” the parameter choices are done automatically. When choosing “Manual” you can freely choose the parameters for each color. Check out the selections available below:

Posted : 02/12/2021 11:51 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Depending on how much this feature is 'forgotten" may shape how much this approach is replicated in the future. It's one of those rare times when a feature was presented to make something multi-dimensional and difficult relatively simple to program. Have fun with the feature and share if you uncover something cool.

Posted : 02/12/2021 9:50 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us