Notifications
Clear all

CFX piano?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

hello, sorry my english is very bad...

i buy a montage 8 from thomann, b stock, no testing before, now i have problems with the piano cfx sound.

i also have cp 40 and cp 5 stagepiano, nice, clean, rich/full, warm piano sound, but i dont have on the montage 8, i hear bad resonances, overtones, ringing, bad samples?

i play only with headphones, Beyerdynamic dt 990/770, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X.

firmware is 1.51, now i load the sound CP1 Library for motif/moxf, normal its not possible this is so much better sound as intern montage CFX sample?

sometimes i play on a clp 535, cfx sample also, but this is a nice clean sound, so much better than i hear in the montage.

Posted : 17/07/2017 1:09 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Andreas - nothing wrong with your English! There are 9 CFX Presets on the Montage (with pads etc:) so do you get the same sort of distortion with all of them? Or just the CFX Concert? It is not possible to make any changes to Presets, so on the face of it you seem to have a corrupt sample. Perhaps why it was a 'B' model in the first place? Although Thomann should have told you if they knew of the fault. Mind you, I find many of the Yamaha Presets disappointingly 'flat' - I think this is deliberate on Yamaha's part to encourage experiment with the effects. But I've found nothing like you describe ... if it is only the one CFX Preset affected, you may be able to edit out the additions on another CFX Preset, and store the result as a User CFX?

Posted : 17/07/2017 1:50 pm
Topic starter

all CFX presets, when i play with normal curve sounds muffled, when i go to curve soft....some overtones, ringing, bad resonance effects (not all keys).

example, i read the montage forum, last year one user talks about the problem with cfx popstudiogrand, so now juli 2017, and i hear the same issue on my montage.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/pianos-not-loading-correctly,-kbd-ctrl-issues,-and-more#reply-11543

in the tests (bonedo,megsynth) and in forum many user say this cfx sound in montage is so beautiful, i dont understand this, cfx in clp series/cp 4 is nicer and clean, no issue.

other sounds in montage very good, i will not send back the synth, but i will find a nice piano sound.

i load the user cfx performance from "Moessieurs", better settings but for me not like the "cfx montage hype", performance "MyCFX PopStudioGrand" the same problem in the higer register.

sorry for my bad english, thanks for all answers.

Posted : 17/07/2017 2:37 pm
Stefan

Just a couple of possible causes:

• The CFX Pianos can be customized using the super knob, turn them to edit the effects. I found them to sound a bit flat in the default setting
  • Are you listening to the Montage in mono: I found that listening in mono can have that effect. It is like a comb filter is kicking in there. Can you try a good headphone?

Posted : 17/07/2017 3:30 pm
Topic starter

which headphones for montage 8?

i have 3, Beyerdynamic dt 990/770 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, all in the same price class....beautiful sound on my cp40, cp 5, moxf6.

with headphones i listening in stereo, i use the super knob, turn all effects off.....eq, but i think its the cfx sample, not the same (Clp/Cp4), 3 class behind, for my ears.

so sad, i cant have a beautiful piano sound with a high class 3000 euro product.

the free CP1 library (motif/moxf) better to me, but also a issue "sample" in element 4 (key D)

Posted : 17/07/2017 3:56 pm
Stefan

Okay, was just checking. On my Montage it just sounds beautiful. On par with my Nord Piano 2. And certainly way better than on my MOXF6.

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:05 pm
Topic starter

which headphones do you use?

you dont have the problem with preset "cfx popstudiogrand" in the higher register?

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/pianos-not-loading-correctly,-kbd-ctrl-issues,-and-more#reply-11543

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:15 pm
Stefan

I use some Bose, don't know the model right now.

I do have the PopStudioGrand issue. That's a programming thing. That's normal (although of course not perfect). My understanding is that to compress it to 1 part they had to reduce the number of used elements to 8. So some sacrifice had to be made. You can fix it to a softer sound. Or use a different CFX performance - that's what I do.

I was talking about the CFX concert, which is the reference one when talking about sample quality. That has very nice quality for me.

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:31 pm
Topic starter

you also play nord, when they have a issue, fixed with update....why a concern like yamaha cannot do this for the user from high class products?

the cfx preset in the montage is "the marketing sound", normal all 9 cfx presets must be perfect (programming), but maybe i am the idiot.

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:48 pm
Stefan

Actually they did fix a lot of issues and added a lot of new features with all the updates they released so far (I started with the first firmware version). Very happy with some new effects and a lot of usability things. I agree that that special performance could be better, but it is not a very important issue for me. And I guess from seeing the last updates, they would rather release a new sound than change the old one. That's what they did with other firmware updates. The policy being that they don't want to touch existing sounds, because someone might rely on exactly the issue they want to fix. I totally agree with that policy...

The sample quality would be a much more important issue. And I don't have that issue. Also I am actually not sure, if they could fix the samples at all - if they are even part of the firmware update. And if they could, if they would is a different question. Same thing as above...

Posted : 17/07/2017 4:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Is it possible to capture an audio recording of the issue? I didn't see one in the previous thread either.

Posted : 19/07/2017 8:10 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us