Clear all

Change Scene via midi in Multi-mode on different ch then ch1

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I use Ableton to change the scenes (cc92) of some performances. They are in MIDI single mode. However, I have some performances that have zone enabled, so they are automatically in multi mode. In this mode it won't accept the cc92 message sent on midi ch 4. It will only accept it on ch1. Can this be done on another channel than ch1in Multi-mode?

Thanks!

Posted : 27/01/2020 11:42 am
Bad Mister

Hi,

I use Ableton to change the scenes (cc92) of some performances. They are in MIDI single mode. However, I have some performances that have zone enabled, so they are automatically in multi mode. In this mode it won't accept the cc92 message sent on midi ch 4. It will only accept it on ch1. Can this be done on another channel than ch1in Multi-mode?

Thanks!

Thanks for the question.

In [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > you can set the global message that will determine Scene changes. If you select a Control Change message, cc1-95, it naturally will be a ‘Channel Message’. The convention used in MONTAGE is that the message will be Output on MIDI Channel. Therefore, if you set ”SCENE CC” = 92, then when that message is sent and/or received on MIDI Channel 1 it will represent a Scene Change.
It divides the 128 values for cc92 into 8 sections (0-15, 16-31, 32-47, 48-63, 64-79, 80-95, 96-111, 112-127) for Scenes 1-8, respectively.

If, however, you set ”SCENE CC” = Off, then each Scene button will send/receive a “System Message”. To utilize this you must ensure your DAW can deal with System Exclusive messages. Depending on your DAW, System Exclusive messages can be routed to their own separate track. Because System Exclusive messages are system-wide, they are not restricted to being on any specific MIDI Channel. However, by convention, if your DAW does not separate these type messages to their own Track, they will, typically, merge it with Track 1/MIDI Ch1 data.

You will need to check the documentation of your DAW for the handling Sysex data. Keeping the Scene and Super Knob movements separate from your musical data, can be a preferred workflow. (If you think of these functions as ‘automation’ - it is convenient to be able to run the automation along with any track or group of tracks your desire). This will allow you to isolate the Scene changes and Super Knob movement (which affect all 16 MONTAGE PARTs) with any specific MIDI TRACK(s) by solo’ing it along with the music data it is effecting.

Posted : 27/01/2020 4:53 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM - does use of "omni mode" in Montage apply to the receive channel for "anchor" CC messages such as Scene CC? I'm wondering if turning on OMNI mode would have any affect on how Scene CC is handled by Montage.

BnH 7DH with data of 0 = OMNI Mode ON.

The data list doesn't detail any included or excluded messages other than a reference to SysEx and omni mode. And the MIDI spec does not necessarily nail down the ins/outs of omni mode enough to draw any conclusions.

Posted : 27/01/2020 7:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us