Notifications
Clear all

Changing preset/user bank layout

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Jay
Topic starter

I noticed when I installed a couple of library banks that they show up below the list of user banks. So when I turn the keyboard on it starts at the preset bank then if I want to go to one of the library banks I have to scroll through all the user banks first. Is there a way to switch around the order the banks appear in? Or is that hardwired into the programming?

Posted : 19/02/2021 6:30 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

It's pretty much hard wired. At least that "All" is first, then "Favorite", then "Preset", then "MOTIF XF" (for Montage), then "User", then your libraries.

When you press [CATEGORY SEARCH] it will generally default to the last bank you accessed. The first time after power-on it defaults to "All". If you press and hold the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button - it will show you the "All" bank. If you press the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button again - it will scroll through the banks in order. So press the button 5-6 (6 times for Montage) times to get to your 1st Library slot assuming you start with "All". Or press-and-hold the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button first to force "All" then press the button 5 times after that to get to your first Library slot.

For me - I'm not a fan that the interface got rid of "random access" to banks. As before where you could press a button that mapped to a specific bank - then a button to select a letter - then a button that gave you a number and the 3 button presses would get you one specific Performance. I guess 4 buttons in all if you include touching a button to select the mode in the past.

In order to conform with the lack of this kind of access - I use Live Set as the random access replacement. When the Live Set screen is showing, the buttons to the right of the touchscreen (on Montage) map out to slots in the Live Set 4/4 grid (left "half" of the buttons), select a page (right "half" of the buttons - this is random access, not up/down - better) and the Mute/Solo buttons allow for moving by page (up/down) or the bank selection (up/down).

By this system, I have random access to 256 different Performances meaning I don't have to rely on the "state" of something. I can press buttons and always get to the right Performance. The only "state" that's important is that the correct bank is selected for the Live Set. I don't fool with this - it's always "User 1" and defaults to this. Also my keyboard defaults to power-on to the Live Set. During a Performance, I get back "random access" - but use Live Set. Not category search.

... this does require you to map live sets to "point" to Performances in your Library, User, or Preset areas. And you can pick any organization you want. It just requires a lot of work if you do indeed want to map hundreds of Performances out of all areas of your memory. This is NOT what I do. I pick and choose what I use on the gig - and try to not necessarily have one Performance per song -- I try to reuse what I can so I have something that covers multiple tunes. Taking this approach, I do not have many pages of Performances mapped in Live Set. I have lots of room left using just one bank.

Posted : 19/02/2021 9:41 pm
 Jay
Topic starter

Live set is what my power on defaults to as well and that's the mode that I'm talking about. The bank select arrow on the left of the screen starts at the preset..but next are all the user banks....then the library banks. I just wish I could move the library banks up so that when I turn the power on, the menu would go preset, then the libraries, THEN the user banks. But alas I guess I'm just out of luck on that. A minor annoyance more than anything but I can live with it. I will try to delve a little more into what you do.

Posted : 19/02/2021 10:38 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Live Set bank - OK. This goes Preset, User, Library. That said, the default bank on power-on is configurable under [UTILITY] "Settings" -> "System". I have mine configured to "User 1" page 1, slot 1. With this setting, the Montage always powers on with my user Live Set at the ready and a tune I often begin with is pre-selected.

If I hold down the [LIVE SET] button, it will snap back to this default setting (user bank). If I press the [LIVE SET] button a second time while in User - it will go to my first library, then second ... then eventually wrap around to Presets last. I never touch this since I am always just using "User 1" bank.

I think if you go in and set your default Live Set bank/page/slot - you'll get pretty far along your goal.

Posted : 19/02/2021 10:48 pm
 Jay
Topic starter

Ok I see what you're saying. Just pressing the live set button scrolls through each set of banks with a single button press which is much faster than having to click the menu arrow a hundred times. I didn't know that. That's pretty handy. It was annoying me because I haven't yet created any user banks so they're all empty. The live set button is a real timesaver. When I start inputting user bank information then I will start thinking of changing the power on default but for now everything is hunky dory. And thank you Jason.

Posted : 19/02/2021 11:49 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us