Notifications
Clear all

Compatibile Performances

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Thomas
Topic starter

I have the MOXF and i am very interested in the Montage. I think the datas should be compatible with the Montage because they are with the Motif XF and the Motif XF with the Montage. Here is my question: Are just single Voices compatible with the Montage or also complete Performances from the MOXF/Motif? I spent a lot of time in creating Performances for concerts and it would be very nice if these over 100 performances would be compatible too.

Posted : 08/06/2016 5:39 pm

for XF, only Voices can be imported into Montage Performances. You can't import XF (MOXF) Performances. for MOXF, not sure if you have to first convert to an XF file or not to import the user voices you want to bring over?

Posted : 08/06/2016 7:50 pm
david
Reputable Member

Dang Thomas! Looks like you're playing for thousands in your avatar. I play for my cat who scratches me whenever I hit a wrong note. Bleeding profusely now.

Posted : 08/06/2016 9:18 pm
Lawrence
Trusted Member

Some snippets from Yamaha's website:

"Compatibility with the MOTIF XF

In terms of sounds, the MONTAGE is fully compatible with the Yamaha MOTIF XF synthesizer. In fact, the MONTAGE comes with all of the MOTIF XF’s 1,353 voices, 3,977 waveforms, and 7,881 arpeggio patterns. Furthermore, voices saved in the MOTIF XF can be imported directly into the MONTAGE. Likewise, patch libraries for the MOTIF XF, including third-party patch libraries, can be loaded into the MONTAGE and played.

When loading user samples based on original waveforms, the .X3A file extension should be used.The MONTAGE does not recognize the MOTIF XF’s Performance data.

Compatibility with Yamaha synthesizers other than the MOTIF XF
While the MONTAGE cannot directly read the voice data of Yamaha synthesizers other than the MOTIF XF, it can read such data via music editing software for Windows and Mac computers. The methods and requirements for doing so differ depending on the synthesizer model . . ."

Posted : 08/06/2016 11:43 pm
Bad Mister

I have the MOXF and i am very interested in the Montage. I think the datas should be compatible with the Montage because they are with the Motif XF and the Motif XF with the Montage. Here is my question: Are just single Voices compatible with the Montage or also complete Performances from the MOXF/Motif? I spent a lot of time in creating Performances for concerts and it would be very nice if these over 100 performances would be compatible too.

The Montage is not a Motif XF, nor is it a MOXF.

True, the MOXF, coming out several years after the Motif XF, can load some Motif XF data. But there is no direct file compatibility between MOXF and Montage, sorry. The Montage can convert Motif XF Voice data into a Montage single Part Performance. The Montage has no Voice mode, it has a different structure from either MOXF/Motif XF and therefore the Performance data of neither is directly compatible. (I'm not saying it is impossible, but currently, there is no "lookup table" to convert all that data to Montage).

The Montage has a totally different structure. Your MOXF Performances do not contain the Voice data, per se. It only "points to" locations where the Voice data is located. So a Performance "points to" a location... Say your custom Performance points to User 1, 001(A01), that's all your Performance contains, if you load a new Voice to that User 1 location, your custom Performance will now point to that newly loaded Voice....Because your Performance does not actually contain the Voice data, the Performance only "points to" the Voice location. As you'll see there are no Voices in Montage

Montage does not use the same scenario as MOXF/Motif XF, so your Performances will not translate directly to Montage. If you get Montage prepare to make new Performances with the new synth. My suggestion, there is so much new and exciting about Montage you will want to take advantage of this, if you really like your MOXF, keep it. It's just like you like it. Don't attempt to turn your Montage into your MOXF.

Posted : 09/06/2016 7:24 am
Thomas
Topic starter

Thanks David, Lawrence and Bad Mister!
Seems like i have to imprison myself in a room if i buy the montage so i can start createing all Performances new. Lets see how interesting the Montage becomes on the Stages in this world the next year. We'll see if there appear Montages, Motifs or maybe more Kronoses...?

Posted : 11/06/2016 2:19 pm
Bad Mister

Montages, hands down! 🙂

Posted : 11/06/2016 3:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us