Notifications
Clear all

Connecting Montage to a camera audio adapter

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I am trying to connect my Montage to an audio adapter to film myself on my Panasonic HD video camera and record audio at the same time. I have bought this adapter ;

https://www.swamp.net.au/comica-cvm-ax3-xlr-combo-jack-dual-channel-audio-mixer

and want some advise if this TRS to dual TS cable (attached photo) would be okay to connect to the headphone jack of Montage and into the adapter. Or would I be better off with two TRS to TRS cables going out the Left & right of Montage into the adapter?

Thank you.

Attached files

Posted : 09/04/2020 2:45 am
Bad Mister

What ever connection you make, make sure you are set to LINE when connecting the MONTAGE as audio source.
I personally do not like connecting the Phones as an Output... in a pinch I guess you can but that would be my last choice. Connect the MONTAGE Main L/R Outputs via either two 1/4” TS-to-1/4” TS (standard signal cables) or two 1/4” TRS-to-1/4” TRS (balanced cables).

One is not necessarily better or worse than the other — use TRS when cable runs are more than 15 or 20 feet. Reason: a regular TS cable (guitar/signal cable) becomes an excellent radio antennae once you get into very long cable runs. TRS cables will cancel the radio interference so are best when you have to run cables across a large area.

Extra Credit
Use the LINE setting for the MONTAGE, never Mic, and never PH (phantom).
Always start with the Output level of the MONTAGE at minimum. As you make all the connections and settings, then slowly raise the output of MONTAGE... if you get no audio level, reduce the volume to minimum, make adjustments, then slowly raise the volume, again.

What you want to avoid is (what most newbies do) turning everything all the way up, and then when they change a setting to finally discover what was wrong BLAM!!!! they have damaged their gear, or worse, their hearing. Volume is usually never the issue when you are not getting any signal.

Posted : 09/04/2020 1:23 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, Bad Mister!

Posted : 11/04/2020 2:22 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us