Notifications
Clear all

Control Montage 6 Using External Keyboard Controller

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello

Can I control the Montage 6 voice and all layer (for example piano + pad + strings) using external keyboard controller by 5 midi connection??

So I can control many voices at the same time from external keyboard controller (the signal only from midi channel 1) and I can still control the faders, knob, superknob, etc on the Montage 6 to change many parameters.

Is it possible?

Posted : 08/10/2017 7:52 pm
Bad Mister

Can I control the Montage 6 voice and all layer (for example piano + pad + strings) using external keyboard controller by 5 midi connection??

There are no Voices (each individual program within a Performance is called a “PART”. Yes you can control up to eight Parts layered with external keyboard controller.

So I can control many voices at the same time from external keyboard controller (the signal only from midi channel 1) and I can still control the faders, knob, superknob, etc on the Montage 6 to change many parameters.

Is it possible?

Yes.
Press [UTILITY]
Touch “Settings” > “MIDI I/O”
Set MIDI I/O = MIDI (green)

Touch “Advanced”
Set MIDI I/O Mode = Single
Set the MIDI CHANNEL = 1

Posted : 08/10/2017 10:54 pm
Topic starter

Thankyou very much

Btw
What's the significant difference between Motif XF and the Montage?
Why is the Motif called "workstation" and the Montage is called "synthesizer" ?

Pardon this newbie 🙂

Posted : 12/10/2017 3:01 am
Bad Mister

The Motif XF was designed around the concept of a Sampler+Sequencer integrated into a Synthesizer and was called a Music Production Synthesizer (commonly called a “workstation”). Based entirely on a sample playback engine, you could create sounds from scratch, including sampling your own data. Sampling included making your own instruments to recording linear audio, to manipulating loops. The ISS or Integrated Sampling Sequencer let you record audio (sampler) but not to a hard disk but Flash... your recording would be placed in an entity called a Voice; a Note-on event was created precisely at punch in, the duration of the Note was precisely to punch out... your audio sample could therefore be synchronized with playback of the Sequencer.

The XF had three main modes plus a Master Mode. Voice mode and Performance modes allowed you to play one sound and up to four sounds simultaneously. The Sequencer Mode (Song/Pattern) placed the MIDI recorder between the Keyboard and the Tone Generator allowing you to record tracks in sequence, one after the other. Master mode let you transmit on as many as 8 Zones. A Zone could be internal and/or external.

The MONTAGE is a different concept. It is not built around a sampler, nor does it have a traditional Sequencer, but it is like harnessing the sonic power of eight Motif XFs. Instead of transmitting to the tone generator through a MIDI Sequencer as Motif XF did (when in Song/Pattern Mixing Mode) MONTAGE takes a different approach.

When you wanted to layer multiple sounds while in the XFs Mixing Mode, because the keyboard transmitted via a single TRACK to the Tone Generator, you placed multiple Parts on the same Receive Channel. Now they all played together, moved together, did everything together, or you could have a Part ignore a controller.

In MONTAGE to layer multiple sounds no Sequencer is used, you transmit to multiple Parts directly from the keyboard. Each Part is autonomous in its relationship with the Keyboard. You address each Part as a separate synth with its own set of parameters. Instead of being limited to 8 Oscillators per sound as in an XF Voice, a playable sound in MONTAGE can be 8 Elements time 8 Parts (Drums have 73 Elements but that’s Drums)... you literally can create sounds with the sonic power if eight Motif XFs.

It’s scary good, plus it is completely compatible with Motif ES, XS, XF, Voice, Waveform and Arpeggio Data. And MOXF because it is compatible with Motif XF. Then add the Fm-X engine with its ability to import DX/TX data... this adds a pure synthesis engine. MONTAGE allows external audio to be a Modulation and/or clock Source.

Because most folks (of course there are still those who do not) use computers for MIDI sequencing, and audio recording, unburdening the firmware of the Integrated Sampling Sequencer opened the door wide for a new concept synth, the Motion Control Synth Engine.

Full 32 Bus audio via usb means MONTAGE is prepared to take advantage of music production with a simple connection to your computer.

MONTAGE is all about sound, sound design, playing and performing, Music Production for how Music is being made now and going forward. If you are using a computer DAW you hardly need all that again in your keyboard.

At great expense, we changed the name from Motif to MONTAGE to call attention to this difference. It is like bigger than current MIDI, it is like playing eight synths when you activate KBD CTRL on a Part. 8 Assign Knobs linkable to the Super Knob, each of the 16Parts has its own 8 Assign Knobs, Part Assign Knobs can be linked to the Super Knob’s 8 Assign Knobs... the Control Assign Matrix is huge, flexible... people ask about the Super Knob, but I think people are starting to see/hear that it’s not a gimmick, it’s a multi-dimensional controller worthy of the 21st century’s first great synthesizer.

Thanks for the question.

Posted : 12/10/2017 4:03 pm

can we record more than one performance in our DAW ?

Posted : 26/10/2017 7:24 am
Sladjan

You can record up to 16 parts at once. The number of performances you can record at once depends on how my parts they have.

Posted : 26/10/2017 8:12 am
Bad Mister

can we record more than one performance in our DAW ?

I know that this is a challenging subject for many, and the short answer is, there is no short answer.

You can record an unlimited number of Performances to your DAW... as audio this is easy... open an audio track and record.
You can record an unlimited number of MIDI Tracks to your DAW but you can only playback 16 Parts without using a DAW FREEZE function or transferring/rendering some of those Tracks to audio. The MONTAGE is 16 Part Multi-timbral.

If you don’t grok the idea of how MULTI PART Performances work, you might ask a question about recording “more than one Performance” in your DAW. One of the things you can do in a MultiPart Performance that is new and different is you can address multiple Parts simultaneously across multiple MIDI channels. What this causes is a situation where each Performance is a separate instance of MONTAGE.

Rendering of audio becomes a part of your workflow... the MONTAGE can be used exactly like a Motif XF, where you basically use 16 Single Parts, Simply start with the INIT MULTI setup... it is very much like an Init MIXING in the XF. 16 Parts each on its own MIDI channel, to 16 MIDI Tracks...
OR
...you can build these Multi Part Performances where the MONTAGE becomes one large synth. In this case each setup can be a massive arrangement of interacting Parts... recording these MultiPart entities is quite a different workflow.

You can’t recall two Multi Part Performances at once.
You CAN merge multiple Multi Part Performances into one Performance.
The significance of those two statements if not understood will be a problem.

When you merge a 3 Part Performance with a 4 Part Performance, it is NOT two Performances... it becomes ONE 7 Part Performance.
This not just semantics.
In addressing a Multi Part Performance you are addressing each Part directly - the Assign Knob assignment speak directly to the Part by number - the Common Assign Knobs and Super Knob address the sounds directly based on their location within the Performance.

Because you are doing things like cross fading between MIDI Channels it’s quite a bit different from when you stack stuff on the same channel...to get them to sound together.
What a lot of people don’t see is that instead of reaching multiple Parts by setting the MIDI Receive channel, MONTAGE does not do this. You are individually addressing Parts directly...

Posted : 26/10/2017 8:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us