Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Correct way to load XF/XS banks into Montage without clutter and dummy performances

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Let's say I have an XF "all" file which I'm loading in as a library.
The file has 128 voices, 32 performances.

but when I import it to the Montage, either to "library" or to "user" with the Montage in factory default (0 of 640 user performances taken), the imported library or user bank will make 544 new performances in USER or LIBRARY. the 128 original ones are there, but I can't really figure out which.

How do I separate the wheat from the chaff? or how do I load only the 128 performances correctly?

also, is there a way to load in the XF performances too, or only XF voices?

Posted : 05/01/2017 8:18 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You have a few conflicting statements.

"The file has 128 voices, 32 performances."

and

"how do I load only the 128 performances correctly?"

I am thinking perhaps your first statement should read

"The file has 128 performances, 32 voices" --- is this correct?

Because when I do the math - an XF performance can have 4 voices so 128x4=512 plus 32 voices, 512+32=544.

I haven't done an import of an XF or XS file myself - but it looks like it breaks apart Motif performances into its voices and saves those voices as Montage performances.

Posted : 05/01/2017 9:16 pm
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,

sorry, that's not what I mean.

this "all" file has 128 voices, and additionally, has 32 performances (which combine some of the 128 voices together).

so in Montage terms, it will have 128+32=160 performances.

when I get 544 performances when I import one of these ALL files, most of the "new" performances are duplicates of the Montage factory data.

Posted : 05/01/2017 9:29 pm
Hans-Peter

Just quick: First of all, MONTAGE doesn't load MOTIF XF Performances - just Voices.
To load just one Voice bank containing 128 MOTIF XF Voices you can load this ".X3A" to one of the Library memories. From there you have the option "Library Import". It's fast and easy.

Attached files

Posted : 06/01/2017 6:55 am
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thank you all. BUT, this is not my problem.

Let's take another one for example. I'm trying to load "Chicks Mark V" for the XF.
Loading this EITHER to LIBRARY OR USER will yield 544 performances! out of which only 10-20 are actually Chick's Mark V.
all the rest are duplicates of what's already in the Montage.
It doesn't matter if I import to USER or to LIBRARY.

Posted : 06/01/2017 7:39 am
Hans-Peter

Eyal wrote:
Let's take another one for example. I'm trying to load "Chicks Mark V" for the XF.
Loading this EITHER to LIBRARY OR USER will yield 544 performances!

Of course it will. But this is NOT a problem!

1) Load the file into the Library memory
2) Use the "Library Import" to import just the 10-20 Performances (formerly Voices) to your empty User memory (be sure to load all Voices, based on User Waveforms at once to avoid Waveform duplicates)
3) Save this new User memory either as User or Library file
4) Reload it to User or Library memory
5) Done 😉

Posted : 06/01/2017 7:52 am
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member
Topic starter

This is really impossible.
If I load a file with 128 voices (XF term) and the voices are load to the Montage as 128 performances, which are hidden between 544 performances - how can I know which are the 128 performances that I need?

Again, as I said...
before loading one of those XF files, I have 0 USER performances. once I do, I have 544. how can I find the 128 I actually loaded??

Posted : 06/01/2017 1:38 pm
Hans-Peter

Eyal wrote:

This is really impossible.
If I load a file with 128 voices (XF term) and the voices are load to the Montage as 128 performances, which are hidden between 544 performances - how can I know which are the 128 performances that I need?

How can I know??? 😉

Well, in my example (taken from yours by the way) we had just 10-20 Voices to import.

When you load a MOTIF XF file it loads all 4 USER banks with 128 Voices each. This is a fact and can't be avoided. So one should find his own workaround which COULD be ...

• making a list of the needed Voices by names
• preparing a file in MOTIF XF (if it's still available) which contains just the needed Voices while all others are set to INIT VOICE
• etc. etc. ...

Posted : 06/01/2017 4:08 pm
Eyal
 Eyal
Eminent Member
Topic starter

but this is not just a file I made in the Motif XF.

It's a professionally made library called Mystic Spheres (just one example).
http://easysounds.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Shop40690.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop40690/Products/016101D

I'm sure that on the Motif XF it doesn't load 544 voices in but only the 128 voices in the bank (loads normally to user bank 4).
It has only 128 voices.

I'd like to know how to load it properly into the Montage and have only the 128 voices in it and not 544 performances of which more than 400 are dups of Montage sounds... there must be a way.

I don't believe people are loading libraries and sort them through hundreds of sounds. there's no way that this is the way Yamaha meant for XF import to be.

Posted : 06/01/2017 4:31 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

FYI:

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/loading-motif-xf-voices-into-montage-in-a-memory-efficient-way

Excerpt:

1. Is there a way where I can load only the voices (and their associated waveform data) that I want?

As you know, there is no Voice mode in Montage. It has Compatibility with Motif XF Voices (which it loads as Single Part Performances), User Arpeggios, and Waveforms. It's writes the data in your .X3A or .X3V to 512 normal + 32 drum locations of the 640 Performance locations in the internal User area.

At all times, once a library is installed everything you need to make that Library play are available in the Montage.

But, no, to answer the question, it is not possible to selectively load data, it's a kind of "all data" import to internal User

Posted : 06/01/2017 5:19 pm
Bad Mister

I don't believe people are loading libraries and sort them through hundreds of sounds. there's no way that this is the way Yamaha meant for XF import to be.

Mystic Spheres:
128 new User-Voices (all versions
30 Demo-sequences – Format: Standard MIDI File (all versions)
60 MB new Synth Waveforms (only MOTIF XS / XF / ES)
16 Performances (only MOTIF XS / XF / ES)

In order that you have the 60MB of custom Waveform data available at all times, the way to load the 128 new User Voices contained in this Library, you must install the data as Montage Library. Indeed, this will load 544 slots of the 640 in one of Montages eight Library locations.

The old system of putting Waveforms and Samples to the Flash Board while placing the Voice parameters to the User 4 Bank, no longer is applicable in the Montage. That is not how it will work.

Install the data to a Library. Montage will convert the XF data to 544 Single Part Performances, establishing all the links between the data and the Waveform locations. You would then, use the "IMPORT LIBRARY" function to SELECT, the 128 that represent the new data by placing a check mark next to their name on the list, and importanting them to the current USER BANK.

The USER BANK in Montage (different from Motif series) has zero programs in it. You will be importing 128 programs to the USER BANK. The Montage will automatically update each so that all links between Waveform/Samples and the individual program are maintained and reprinted as required to make them sound properly.

Now SAVE the contents of your User Bank as a new Montage Library .X7L, and reinstall this new Library over the old.

FYI: Only the XF VOICE data, WAVEFORM data, and if there were ARPEGGIO data, will converted by Montage.
You may want to contact Peter Krischker (Easy Sounds) about whether there are plans for a Montage ready version of this Library. Which, if you think this is an unbelievable amount of work (really, it's not), will be well worth getting.

Conversion is complex, and handled rather well here (actually)... particularly when you realize the difference in architecture between the old Motif series and the new Montage.

Posted : 07/01/2017 1:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us