Cubase AI8 basic setup request

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Gilles
Topic starter

Hello

I've made my setting exactly like the "Cubase getting started guide" does:

From the Cubase preference page: Midi filter: I've unchecked the SysEx option for both:Record and thru as the Montage need to send SysEx message especially with the SuperKnob

The Midi file page has been setup like the guide.

Here's what I look strange now:

I've seen that's the midi activity windows (just on the right on the click and tempo bar) is always blinking....even if not notes has ben played, and If I turn off the "rec button" one the midi track off, the midi activity window stop to blinking

I think this is a problem...

Thanks again for your help

Gilles

[img]

Attached files

Posted : 05/11/2016 5:11 pm
Bad Mister

I've seen that's the midi activity windows (just on the right on the click and tempo bar) is always blinking....even if not notes has ben played, and If I turn off the "rec button" one the midi track off, the midi activity window stop to blinking

I think this is a problem...

It is not a problem. Yamaha (being one of the original MIDI Manufacturer's) tends to follow the rules pretty strictly. What causes the MIDI Activity indicator to constantly blink is the fact that the Montage is connected. As long as the Montage is connected and that connection is not interrupted - you get a message every 200-300ms verifying that connection - that is the activity. This is a safety check, in large systems troubleshooting can be greatly improved when you have a module down you can identify which it is using Active Sensing.

This is called ACTIVE SENSING (FE), Montage also has a clock MIDI CLOCK (F8). These two messages can be constantly streaming from most Yamaha products with MIDI and an internal clock. The Active Sensing is a safety check, the Clock can be used to control other devices.

If you would rather not have the Active Sensing blinking on your Cubase transport, you can do what most user do... turn it on only when you need to troubleshoot your system, next time you are sitting there wondering if your Montage is connected, you can activate the MIDI ACTIVITY meter and verify you have a steady connection.

Otherwise you can set what is on your Transport bar by right clicking on the Activity Meter and deactivating those functions you would not like to see. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the blinking MIDI Activity light... it is indicating that your Montage is connected and active via MIDI. Defeating the REC function means (MIDI activity stops) means it is not active - not being detected by that track. Make sense?

If this is disturbing by all means deactivate MIDI ACTIVITY. You have a MIDI meter on each MIDI Track so, it is hardly necessary to have this blinking at you all the time. Once you customize Cubase to your liking, you will find it works WITH YOU by remembering your settings!

Hope that helps.

Posted : 05/11/2016 6:08 pm
Gilles
Topic starter

Hello Phil,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

It's really helpful πŸ˜‰

I'm really glad to read that 's normal.

I take my time for learning each tutorial but as a new user of Cubase (Ai) that's typically the kind of question that I should have.

Hope that my english is not to hard to read and to understand ! πŸ™

Thank you Phil for your availability and your help

Gilles

Posted : 06/11/2016 2:55 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us