Clear all

Cubase Auto Update Tempo in Montage

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Kent
Topic starter

Hi,

The Montage is great and I love the direction it's going in with connection to the DAW.

I use the Montage more as a really advanced keyboard, and do not use or understand the sequencer/writing/recording parts as that I what I use Cubase for. I've tried, but it's just so much slower for me I prefer the DAW.

My problem is the Montage still seems to fight with this workflow. Many of the Montage sounds have arp/motion seq in them; however, they don't seem to slave to Cubase easily (kind of don't at all because I have to manually change a whole list of things every time I want to change a sound)

Is there some "Cubase as a Master" mode which will handle the majority of these settings. I understand that some settings require the "Quick Setup" menu but things like Tempo seem like such a basic thing, having the Montage automatically slave to the tempo of Cubase no matter which performance I choose. I feel like I'm missing some feature somewhere in the Montage to get this happening.

I've read https://yamahasynth.com/resources/montage-connect and https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/montage-connect-ii?utm_source=CEG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MP11791

I'm really just looking for the least amount of user click overhead. I want to in Cubase create a track, find/select a sound on Montage, record midi into cubase, playback, record audio into cubase, wash/rinse/repeat as I write a song

Posted : 03/06/2017 9:14 pm
Bad Mister

When setting up to do basic midi recording to Cubase... start with an INIT Multi
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Select "INIT"
Select "Multi/GM"

This will start you with a basic 16 Part setup.
Then you can setup to use the QUICK SETUP template for MIDI recording
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "Quick Setup"

MIDI RECORD ON DAW - Use this when you are recording standard MIDI data to the DAW. You will notice the following differences in the SIGNAL FLOW Local Control (that is the Keyboard going to MIDI OUT does not include the ARPEGGIATOR. Use this when you recording and no arpeggio data need to be documented. This Quick Setup template also take care of making setting so that the MONTAGE will slave to MIDI clock - we will need to setup Cubase to send MIDI Clock to the Montage MIDI Port 1 - in general, the DAW will be the master MIDI clock source. By setting up and using MIDI clock you expand your opportunities to add data at a latter time easily. When your music references Measures and Beats, you can ensure synchronization of the Motion Control engine (arpeggios, Motion Sequences, Tempo driven Effects and LFOs, etc.) even if adding this days or weeks later!
Important concept to understand here: Local Control is Off (connection between the Keyboard and Tone Generator is interrupted), key presses travel OUT via MIDI to an active MIDI Track in the DAW, where it can be documented and echoed back to the MONTAGE Arpeggiator and Tone Generator via MIDI IN.

In Cubase:
Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP... > MIDI CLOCK OUT > Destination = Montage 1

Now starting Cubase will cause the Montage to slave to the tempo as setup in your Project.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/resources/montage-and-cubase-setup-guide

Posted : 03/06/2017 10:41 pm
 Kent
Topic starter

Thanks much! Looks like this solved my problem!

Posted : 04/06/2017 8:12 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us