Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Custom Arpeggios Length

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there. So hope everyone is safe from this COVID 19.
Is there a length limitation for custom arpeggios? My one has 4 bars but it plays only 2 bars when I assign it to a part.
Thanks in advance.
Stay safe!!!

Posted : 22/03/2020 8:37 am
Bad Mister

When you setup the “User Arp” on the convert screen’s “Put Track to Arpeggio” function, you must set the Length of the Arp Phrase by setting the “Start” and “End” points, “Measure”. Below is the Arp setup screen... this one shows a 4-Measure Arp phrase being readied for conversion.
Notice “Measure”, 1 thru 5. This parameter is set from the top of the Start measure to the top of the measure following completion... to complete four full measures, you set the End point to the top of measure 5.

Measure 1 — Measure 5 is how you would define 4 complete measure.
Same as a minute hand’s movement to create an hour is from the top (12 o’clock) of the Start to top (12 o’clock) of the next hour to complete 60 full minutes

Of course, we assume the data you are set to capture is actually the number of Measures you claim. For example, if you recorded only two measures, that will be the maximum Length of you can convert to Arp. In other word, to create a four measure Arp you need to actually create four measures of recorded data.

There is no Length limitation for Arps... logic and usefulness dictates their Length. You’ll find 1, 2, 4 and 8 measure preset Arp Phrases.

The limitation to worry about is the 16 unique note numbers limit. That limit is enforced. “Unique note numbers” means if you are recording a Drum Phrase for example, the drum Kit can consist of 16 drum/percussion sounds. The Kick drum might be C1 for example, the Snare drum might be D1, those are two unique note numbers... you can hit them scores of times in your Arp phrase but they equal 2 of the 16 “unique note numbers” that can be used to create an Arp.

All four of the Convert Tracks will be used to play a single Part. See the MONTAGE “LEARN” section of this site for more on Arpeggios and how they work.

16 unique notes does not mean 16 note-on events, it means 16 different Note numbers, with drums it means you can use a 16-piece drum kit.
On musical phrases it means: pay attention to what you are doing - most musical Arp phrases are in a single Key Signature... it’s logical if want to utilize the intelligence that adjust to chord input. Once you change chords or key signature you will find that notes will be missing because you have used more than the 16 unique note limit. Logic dictates the best way to use Arps when you understand this limit.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the question... stay safe!

Posted : 22/03/2020 1:04 pm
Topic starter

Thank you sir!!
I will do this.

Stay safe!!!

Posted : 22/03/2020 2:47 pm
Topic starter

I tried what you instructed me to do. But sadly it won't play the whole length. 🙁

Posted : 22/03/2020 3:59 pm
Bad Mister

Please describe what you did?
How did you create the data for the Arp Phrase... be detailed...

If you cannot do it with your own data, please see if you can follow the instructions in the following tutorial:

MONTAGE: Arpeggio Making 101 Part 1

Posted : 22/03/2020 6:52 pm
Topic starter

Hi there. Thank you for your time to reply me. Just got to know that arps have a 16 note limitation. Mine is more than 16.
Thank you very much for everything!!
Stay safe!!
??❤️❤️

Posted : 22/03/2020 11:59 pm
Topic starter

Do you think if the following phrase can be converted to an arp?

Attached files

Posted : 23/03/2020 12:20 am
Bad Mister

Nope. It is more than 16 unique Notes.

Before creating your own Arps, spend some time studying the factory Arps... they will give you an idea of what makes a good Arpeggio.
Appreciate that Arps are not like a Sequence. It has some similarities but some very important differences.

The phrase you attached is not a good candidate for an Arpeggio. Do you need to chord intelligently change the chord quality of this phrase?
If no, why even try to make it an Arp. If you just want this phrase to play put it in a Pattern or a Song. Then it will play exactly as written.
It is what we call a poor choice for an Arpeggio.

Posted : 23/03/2020 1:02 am
Topic starter

Thank you very much. So appreciate your response!!
😀

Posted : 23/03/2020 1:09 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sometimes I'm juggling too many notes for me to cover 16th note triplet runs along with all the other notes I have to play. One example is a harp flurry in one song that I have run through many octaves and I trigger it with a single button press. It generally matches your example in terms of note density and is also not chord intelligent. I employ arps because I just can't execute it all live together.

When I look at this - it's correct to say you have more than 16 notes so they can't all fit into a fixed note ARP. However, there may be some things you can still do.

Deconstructing this, I see it's made up of a 7-note "scale" that repeats the next octave lower for the next 7 notes. Then you have the same family of notes played in harmony a 3rd (minor or major) down from the upper note.

So every 7 notes actually covers 9 total notes including the maj/min 3rd harmonic interval.

If you extend this to 2 such 7-note groupings - this is the limit (including the harmonic intervals). So the 1st 14 notes (and harmonic interval) can be entirely covered within a single ARP. That's 16 notes exactly.

Then you can repeat this same arp an octave down using ARP octave range. That's one way. Although you could trigger the ARP twice manually - and not use fixed - but use "org note" - that would be pretty difficult to time because 14 notes do not fall on the beat. So I wouldn't recommend that as an alternative - although technically it's there.

The suggested way - to repeat the 16 notes down an octave would also mean that the time signature would best align up with the 7-note nature of the repeating pattern. You may need to play with time signatures to make this work. The downside of this method would be that the 2nd repeat of the pattern would add 2 extra notes to the end of the phrase. That 8th note rest on the upbeat of measure 2 would have 2 16th note triplet notes instead of a rest.

Not sure if this is acceptable or not - to get two more notes than you asked for.

Posted : 23/03/2020 5:59 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us