Detailed fader/knob CC assignment question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

Hello,

From all my research, it looks like you can't assign MIDI CC's to Montage's faders, which is really unfortunate - you could do it on the Motif series, so this seems like a pretty major omission for guys who want to use it as a controller, or for B3 drawbars. Hopefully it will be addressed in an update.

In the meantime, I wonder if the following would be possible as a workaround. Since it looks like you can assign CCs to the knobs - and the Superknob can control them all at once - does the Superknob send the assigned MIDI CC's of all 8 knobs via MIDI or USB out? That would at least allow overall drawbar changes to morph between two different presets, and simply by just turning the Superknob rather than grabbing a bunch of faders. Could be a cool thing!

Also, do the faders at least transmit MIDI volume on each respective channel via MIDI/USB out, or do the faders only control internal sounds?

Thanks in advance - here's hoping someone can put in a request for MIDI CC assignable faders!!!

Jim

Posted : 02/09/2016 3:47 pm
Blake Angelos
Member Admin

Jim wrote:

Also, do the faders at least transmit MIDI volume on each respective channel via MIDI/USB out, or do the faders only control internal sounds?

Yes, they do transmit Volume (CC007) out MIDI.

First off: Do you have the Zone switch turned on in Montage? Under Utility/Settings/Advanced, Zone Switch Set to ON? Let's start there. To answer your question I quote Bad Mister:

"When transmitting on multiple MIDI channels, the Faders, 1-8 and 9-16, send cc007 Main Channel Volume Out via MIDI (fixed).

Each of eight active Zones can output Bank Select/Program Change, volume, pan on recall. You have eight assignable Knobs per Performance (they default to cc17-24 but are programmable on a per Performance basis). There are dedicated knobs assigned to Portamento Time (5), Cutoff (74), Resonance (71), Attack (73), Decay (75), Release (72), Reverb Send (91), Variation Send (94) and the other physical controllers are also assignable per Performance.

So if you are principally controlling an external device, it would be good idea to create a Performance, using the Master Zone functions, designed for your purpose."

There actually are a lot of options for Montage as a Master Controller. Each Performance can be it's own set up and can configure an entire set up when the Zone master is set to on.

Do you have a specific scenario that you'd like to add here?

Posted : 08/09/2016 10:23 pm
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

Hey Blake!

Thanks so much for the reply. First off, my Montage 7 just showed up today, so I hadn't had a chance to dig into this myself yet 😉

Anyway, what I'd like to do is assign my Montage faders to MIDI CC's to control drawbars in Logic's B3 plugin. I used to do this with Motif XS/XF, but it looks like I'm out of luck on the Montage for now, as it only allows custom CC assignments to the knobs. Man, this would be REALLY nice to have on the faders! As you noted, I will create a special Performance designed for controlling external gear.

If the Montage does indeed send MIDI CC7 per channel/fader, then I can create a workaround in Logic by remapping those messages to the CC's I want. That would at least get me going with the Montage, but hopefully custom assignments will follow in a later firmware.

Thanks again,

Jim
MD/keys for Michael W. Smith
www.jimdaneker.com

Posted : 08/09/2016 10:34 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us