Notifications
Clear all

Digital Input

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jeff
Topic starter

I have a few questions about MONTAGE’s digital input.

1) When I setup Montage’s audio I/O (Steinberg ASIO driver) in my DAW, I see 6 possible outputs. 1&2 seems to be main outs, 3&4 seems to be the Montage’s digital input, 5&6 I’m not sure. Do I have it right? What’s 5&6?

2) I know the A/D input (via the TR connectors on the keyboard) has insert effects. Does the Digital Input have insert effects? I looked for this under Mixing and couldn’t figure it out. I could only apply Master effects to the digital input.

Posted : 31/10/2019 2:59 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Montage has 3 sets of inputs.

Main L&R input - this input will be routed ("hard coded" ) straight out to the Main L&R outputs
Assign L&R input - this input will be routed ("hard coded" ) straight out to the Assign L&R outputs (MODX doesn't have these, fyi)
Digital L&R input - this input you can treat as a digital form of an A/D input and select how it routes within Montage. It is not forced out one or the other output and can also be routed to "off" if you like.

I believe Main L&R are inputs 1&2. Digital L&R are inputs 3&4. Assign L&R are inputs 5&6. There's an old post that looks like it was deleted that had this spelled out.

... this is part of what is returned from the cache (entire thread is not cached):

Oct 23, 2017 - yamahasynth.com forums ... I need a step by step on how to use Yamaha master effects to audio coming in through USB Main ... playing through Montage on Main L&R Usb can be processed using ... Latest · Oldest ... An Audio Track routed to USB 5&6 will return audio to the MONTAGE Assignable L&R

... and if I dial in a different search term:

Oct 23, 2017 - yamahasynth.com forums ... I need a step by step on how to use Yamaha master effects to audio ... so that audio playing through Montage on Main L&R Usb can be processed using ... Latest · Oldest · Bad Mister Accepted Answer Pending Moderation. Yamaha. Main L&R is USB 1&2. Digital L&4 is USB 3&4

Posted : 31/10/2019 3:53 pm
 Jeff
Topic starter

Thanks Jason for confirming the destinations of the 6 outputs.

Does anyone know if the Digital Input has insert effects like the A/D input?

Posted : 31/10/2019 5:15 pm
Bad Mister

No, the Digital In does not have access to Insertion Effects. *Only* the 16 Synth Parts and the A/D In.
The Digital In has access to the System (Reverb, Variation) Effects, the Master Effect, the Master EQ, if you assign it with OUTPUT SELECT = Main L&R... if you send it to an assignable output it is removed from the System, Master Effects and MasterEQ.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 01/11/2019 3:58 am
 Jeff
Topic starter

Thank you Bad Mister. That clears it up.

I find it useful sometimes adding VSTis to Montage sounds. Kinda like adding VSTs to a performance, where the VST part is the Digital In. Nice being able to use a common reverb this way.

Posted : 01/11/2019 5:01 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

With two patch cables you could assign the VSTi to Montage's Assign L&R input then 1/4" TS patch over from Assign L&R outputs to A/D inputs. Then you could use the A/D insertion effects if you wanted and route the result out to Main L&R which would also use the System (you can alter the sends to dial in how much) and Main effects.

Posted : 01/11/2019 5:35 pm
 Jeff
Topic starter

That's actually an interesting idea Jason. Usually VSTi's have some decent effects built in and of course ability to add anything. But if one loved a particular Montage effect or wanted to offload the computer's CPU routing the VSTi out the assignable outputs and back into the A/D inputs would work for sure 🙂

Posted : 02/11/2019 2:44 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us