Clear all

Direct Performance Recorder

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Chin
Topic starter

I wonder whether it’s possible to do the following (if yes, how) :

1. Let say I have recorder 4 tracks of 16 bars. I mess up on track 3 at measure 10, I want to redo the recording just for that track and measure using punch in punch out. But how do I do this without erasing the other tracks?

2. Let say I recorded song 1 as intro and song 2 as verse 1. Is there a way to chain them together so that they play continuously within Montage?

My goal is to do as much as possible within Montage without going to the computers.

If it is not possible to do any of these, will future firmware updates cover these features?

Thanks

Posted : 27/03/2018 2:11 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

You cannot punch in a single track without overwriting all tracks at the same time.

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/tutorial-steps-for-recording-tracks

https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/performance-recorder-replacing-a-part-without-deleting-others

The recorder in Montage is not a sequencer, like in the Motif XF, where you would record one track at a time. It is a "Performance Recorder" that allows you to record all tracks of the Performance simultaneously.

All tracks go into record.
All tracks punch in together, all tracks punch out together.

I'm not sure that firmware updates are going to make a sequencer materialize. However, Yamaha is more aware of roadmap than I am.

The current solution (which is likely the solution for the lifetime of the product) is to take your performance recording and move it to a USB stick or use Montage Connect to transfer the recording to a PC.

Song Import: You may have saved song ideas using the internal MONTAGE Performance Recorder. When using the Connect plug-in, any song inside MONTAGE will appear in the "Song Import" window of MONTAGE Connect. The plug-in can view the contents of your instrument's SONG folder. To use, recall the Performance used in the song, select the song recorded, and then drag and drop it from the Song Import window right into the DAW Project Tracks window.

Then edit the track(s) you want to modify and optionally copy the edited recording back to Montage.

This represents a change in workflow from previous keyboards and is the current intended solution using Montage.

I know you said you were wanting to avoid using a PC - but doing so is swimming upstream.

There is not a feature that I am aware of on Montage to concatenate one song with another.

Depending on the content, you may be able to convert two files (assuming MIDI) to ARPs - then play each and record the ARP output with the recorder.

Posted : 27/03/2018 3:22 pm
Eminent Member

With the Montage, I hardly use the DAW, unless I need to. And when I need to it is really easy and fast...Now. When I first started it took me about a week to figure out 3 workflows.. to do anything I needed to. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and learn how to record midi, arps, and audio. The setup and integration is sweet and easy with 1 usb, I never used Cubase b4.... but it is pretty easy once you get it working, you can do anything you want quick and easy.

Learn how to work with DAW.... it is totally worth it. imho

Posted : 27/03/2018 6:06 pm
 Chin
Topic starter

Thank you Jason & Mitchell. I quite like the direct performance recorder which allows several parts to be recorded together. Just wished it has a few more features to allow more to be done within Montage first. Appreciate your advice.

Posted : 29/03/2018 5:13 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us