Notifications
Clear all

Dumb question about USB setup

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Mark
Topic starter

Hello, I installed the USB driver successfully, I connected the Montage to my Mac with no issues. I went to utility and set MIDI I/O to USB and quick setup to MIDI/DAW record. But Cubase doesn't see the Montage AND the USB setting I make in utility screen (MIDI I/O parameter) on Montage does not stay. If I leave the screen it reverts back to MIDI. How do I store it? If I hit the STORE button it asks if I want to save a new performance? I'm lost. Help

Posted : 17/10/2019 11:22 pm
Bad Mister

When setting up any external device to a computer, the devil’s in the details. Miss a detail, you miss the entire barn.

Which Driver? Name and number are important details... Yamaha Steinberg USB driver version x.xx.x
... Macintosh means Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.10.5
Go to System Preferences > find the icon for the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” double click and see what it reports.

When you make the USB setting on the MONTAGE, remember green means active...
Press [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “MIDI I/O” > if “MIDI I/O” has the “USB” option green, then USB is selected.
You don’t need to Store it, you set it and that’s how it stays.

If you have a successful connection to the computer the USB icon appears on the very top line of the screen appears bright blue.
If MIDI is selected a 5-pin MIDI icon appears.

In Cubase AI:
Go to STUDIO > STUDIO SETUP... > MIDI > MIDI PORT SETUP > in the column “In ‘All MIDI Inputs’” Place a Mark next to MONTAGE Port 1
In the REMOTE DEVICES folder > add “Mackie Control” and set MIDI IN and OUT to “MONTAGE-2 (Port 2)
In the VST AUDIO SYSTEM > select MONTAGE as your Audio Device

Posted : 17/10/2019 11:32 pm
 Mark
Topic starter

Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.10.5 for Mac macOS 10.14-OS X 10.11
MacBook Pro
Montage 3.00 OS

One weird thing... whenever I plug Montage USB cable directly into Mac I get Mac error message : "USB devices disabled: unplug the accessory using too much power." I get that error no matter which Mac USB port I plug Montage into

Also, the USB successful icon is not showing in Montage

Posted : 17/10/2019 11:50 pm
Bad Mister

What kind of ports are on your MacBookPro? USB-3
New Mac are adapter-city...
What accessory is drawing power from your Mac? Disconnect it?

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:36 am
 Mark
Topic starter

Yes usb 3 ports on the MacBook pro
I don't have any accessories other than mouse, keyboard, and Saffire audio interface, but I checked USB power and there is plenty of USB power available for another device
I've never had a USB device that caused this error. How much USB power does the Montage need?

Posted : 18/10/2019 12:48 am
Bad Mister

None.
MacBookPro? What mouse? What keyboard? Aren’t they built-in on a MacBookPro?
Contact Apple or Google that error message, or both.

Posted : 18/10/2019 1:34 am
 Mark
Topic starter

Ok thanks. Must be the cable because it does it when the Montage is off too!

Posted : 18/10/2019 2:38 am
 Mark
Topic starter

Yep, it was the cable. All is well now. Thanks, as always

Posted : 18/10/2019 2:45 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The cable you used previous was likely not certified. I'm not an expert on Macs, but if using USB-C then legacy cables need specific resistor values which dictate the max power draw and help identify the cable. Even expensive cables from reputable manufacturers purchased from official sources (sometimes paying more to buy from a local store) do not cost "that much" compared to the rest of the investment.

Not that good cables cannot go bad - but as technology advances, so do the demands on cables and associated tolerances.

Thanks for following up since this post backs up why "check your cable" is a typical suggestion as one of the first (and easiest) things to check.

Posted : 18/10/2019 6:13 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us