Notifications
Clear all

Dynamic Microphone volume low

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 c
Topic starter

Hi this is such a crazy issue but the only way I could capture singing through the Montage line in at a normal level anywhere near -20 to -16db was by going into the audio settings and boosting the USB Main all the way up to +12 gain. I mean until I found that I was having to normalize the recording which was still quiet and boost boost boost which then caused other issues. Why is that? Does anyone else know another way.

Posted : 02/11/2023 12:38 pm
Bad Mister

Since you don’t mention it, perhaps the first thing to check is that you have set the AD IN to “Mic” (not “Line”). If this is the case be sure to lower the boost (+12dB) back to normal before testing signal through your system.

[UTILITY] —> “Settings” —> “Audio I/O” —> set the “Mic/Line” to “Mic

Dynamic Microphones work with a very small magnet attached to a movable diaphragm… as air molecules disturb the diaphragm, the magnet moves back and forth in a coil of copper wire which induces electrons to flow. The typical dynamic microphone outputs signal at between -60 and -50dBV (a very weak signal)… setting MIC/LINE to “Mic” provides pre-amplification and brings that weak signal up so you can use it. Set the selection to MIC and turn the GAIN of the pre amp to maximum.

A device like a CD player, or a synthesizer keyboard would be examples of LINE level signals.
-10dB is consumer Line Level.
0dB, +4dB and higher are examples of pro Line Level signals.
These devices do not need much help from the pre-amplifier, so set to Line and lower the GAIN.

You don’t mention what microphone you are using… nor its specs (look for its “Sensitivity”)
A Shure SM58 (popular handheld mic/spare hammer) for example, is -54.5dB output… and would require you set the input to “Mic” and you turn the Gain to maximum.

If indeed, you have already set it to Mic… and have already set the MIC GAIN to max… then the problem might be in your cabling (TS connector) or the microphone itself.

Tip: Also use your “outdoor voice”, often called your “Broadway voice” or “stage voice”… project and speak/sing directly toward the microphone. Vocal microphones should be held within inches of the performer’s nose or chin (this avoid plosives, ie popping “p’s”, etc.

Hope that helps.

Extra Credit: when your microphone is no longer attached return the MIC/LINE to the default, “Line” — leaving it set to Mic with no load attached will allow noise into your system.
If you use a mixer between your mic and the MONTAGE, the mixer acts as a pre-amp, and is considered a LINE Level signal.

Posted : 02/11/2023 1:19 pm
 c
Topic starter

Thanks. I had no idea about the line vs mic setting. I never noticed any noise. My mic is a cheapy Sony V-F100. -56 dB 100 - 10000 Hz 300 Ω Omnidirectional

ON a second note. Is there any way to get the audio when the DAW is set to Steinberg Asio (for Montage) to be captured easily in OBS streaming software. I have tried everything. Even though the DAW hears everything, OBS will not capture it for nothing. Then I used voicemeter to route the audio and OBS could hear the Montage (althoguh very quietly) but not my virtual instruments. There is something really different about the Steinberg driver from other Asio drivers. We need a very easy solution to capturing all audio. Would it just be better to get a focusrite or something?

Posted : 06/11/2023 4:01 pm
Bad Mister

My mic is a cheapy Sony V-F100. -56 dB 100 - 10000 Hz 300 Ω Omnidirectional

Yikes. I highly recommend NOT using an omnidirectional microphone for any purpose with your synthesizer. Avoid it at all costs when Vocoding

ON a second note. Is there any way to get the audio when the DAW is set to Steinberg Asio (for Montage) to be captured easily in OBS streaming software. I have tried everything. Even though the DAW hears everything, OBS will not capture it for nothing. Then I used voicemeter to route the audio and OBS could hear the Montage (althoguh very quietly) but not my virtual instruments. There is something really different about the Steinberg driver from other Asio drivers. We need a very easy solution to capturing all audio. Would it just be better to get a focusrite or something?

Since Steinberg is the actual company that invented ASIO (along with the entire VST protocol) those are Steinberg inventions, Steinberg innovations, Steinberg’s contribution to world of music production. So not being like other ASIO drivers is a bit of hoot. Although it is open code (anyone can write an ASIO Driver) I think we can conclude that the Steinberg driver is fine.

Sorry, I don’t know “voicemeter”… contact Blake (he navigates all those Tech Talks)

Posted : 06/11/2023 5:26 pm
 c
Topic starter

is there an explanation somewhere about why getting hardware audio through the computer and to a video recording is more complicated than using asio drivers and plugins?

Posted : 06/11/2023 6:39 pm
Darryl
Prominent Member

If you are looking for a good mic for Vocoding, I use a Shure WH20 Cardioid Dynamic 'headset' mic and it works great...

And yeah I've been burned each time I forget to change the “Audio I/O” input setting from "Line" to "Mic" 😉

Posted : 06/11/2023 6:59 pm
Bad Mister

All amplifiers output some noise. They work on a Signal-to-Noise ratio. Basically, Signal = good, Noise = bad. They are designed to work so that the operator can maximize the good and minimize the bad.

Inputs on any mixer will always default to Line (because Line level devices do not need help from the preamplifier). As explained above microphones have extremely low output level (that’s the “micro” in their name) they require a preamplifier to boost the signal.

Idling amplifiers make some noise, mixer inputs will typically default to “Line” so that when the channel is not in use the preamplifier can be set to minimum.

You see it on many mixer inputs…the Line setting is the Gain knob all the way down, the Mic setting is the Gain on the preamp all the way up.

This is a universal truth throughout audio.

When routing multiple sources and using OBS, there needs to be a loopback setup to accommodate all the sources. I set it up once but it’s was not in my everyday workflow.

I know during the pandemic the little series of mixers Yamaha was making became a hotter than hot item - as everyone whowas podcasting discovered you need a mixer with the loopback capability to accomplish what they were attempting… the demand for them went through the roof. Amazing. Email Blake.

Posted : 06/11/2023 8:47 pm
 c
Topic starter

Thanks. I got it working. the secret is using the Reastream (free plugin) and also the free Voicemeter VB cable. But why this has to be so complicated I dont know. Other Asio drivers dont require this at all. To me I would think that the Steinberg driver should work just the same and view the Montage as just another plugin.

Posted : 06/11/2023 9:26 pm
 c
Topic starter

@Daryl. thanks for the suggestion. would that mic be good for all-around recording as well?

Posted : 06/11/2023 9:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us