Notifications
Clear all

EPS are hard to play on the Montage

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

I dont know how else to say it but I will say it. The EPS on the Montage are hard to play versus piano plugins. I have to bang hard on the Montage to get sound out of it and then the velocity is changing the sound. Plugins - even free ones sound good without the effort. There I have said it

Posted : 14/11/2021 2:13 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Since response may differ between the Montage 8 and Montage 6/7 - it may help to document which of the series you have.

BTW: I'm not very heavy handed and the EPs I use have the right amount of bark when needed. I notice I can reach all velocity levels including the 127 without a great amount of effort. I've got a Montage 7. I'd have to take a second look at the global velocity curve I'm using.

If you want more bark - you can edit the Velocity Depth for every Part except probably mechanical noise and increase it from 64 (a common default) to perhaps 80.

Posted : 14/11/2021 5:36 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks I think BM also advised to use the compressor. I should mention I like to keep my master gain on the Montage to about 40%. I think the pianos and everything were created with the expectation the master gain was at 100%
The normal pianos just get crowded out of the mix unless I turn up the gain and eq them etc.

I ended up buying this preset pack https://www.musiconplanet.com/mk-i-1975-sessions

Posted : 14/11/2021 12:52 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

As a follow-up to my response - I originally read your post incorrectly.

and then the velocity is changing the sound

Incorrectly, I thought you were having issues getting the higher velocities out and actually wanted the "bark" that happens with high velocities. However, I now think you were saying you want more output to hit some sweet spot without having to work so hard and do NOT want the "bark" samples to play. To achieve this, you would raise the velocity offset and reduce the velocity depth. So basically you're always playing at a higher velocity and do not exceed the velocities that would cause the "bark" samples to fire off. Of course you could also get rid of the "bark" samples by expanding the elements below the highest velocit(y/ies) and turn off the elements where you do not like the sound changing ("bark" ).

Getting an alternative set of EPs from a library that fits what you want is certainly a way to go.

Posted : 14/11/2021 9:25 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks Jason. I will keep your tips in mind with the velocity offset and depth.

Posted : 15/11/2021 10:32 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us