Notifications
Clear all

even a $20 ipad app has scenes and clips - Montage?? nope

13 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Drambo has scenes and editable clips. The Montage does not. How is this even possible with the price difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_L_0Yhx4w

Attached files

Posted : 01/06/2022 7:21 pm
Dragos
Eminent Member

Not only that, but there are apps on the iPad that have even spells and magic, and they still cost much less than a Montage.

Posted : 01/06/2022 8:04 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

Polish folk rock!

Posted : 01/06/2022 8:19 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

After disclaimer, the first intro line was "Drambo is a modular groovebox".

So yes, Montage isn't that.

Posted : 01/06/2022 10:49 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

But is it groovy?

Posted : 02/06/2022 2:55 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

I'm asking if the Montage is groovy. It's a pisstake on the fact that Jason thinks the Montage is NOT a groove box.

I think the MODX is definitely a groove box. It's got more arps and drum stuff than any other synth I can think of. And buttons just for that!

It's a bit of work, but the whole thing is groovy. I think.

I know Drambo, and Sunrizer and Zeeon, very well!

ADD:

Forgot about Impaktor was also this wonderful guy. If you haven't tried this, you're missing out on the world's best finger drumming = music maker:

https://apps.apple.com/app/impaktor/id557824278

Posted : 02/06/2022 3:50 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Montage should very well have been a groovebox. 16 parts, a sequencer, scenes changes, superknob, etc.

However I was pointing out Drambos capabilities of making songs and midi patterns with an Ableton or Bitwig like clip launcher and editor. This is something that could have been implemented in the Montage like Roland's Fantom, MPC Live, Akai Force, and now Drambo on an ipad.

But Yamaha thinks that people would rather use a PC DAW. Remember back in the day when they said that when the Montage first came out? They are trying to sell Cubase software and imagined everyone would naturally go out and buy Cubase. 😀

Now that I think of it they didnt even try to put some form of Cubase software into the Montage or Modx. Again how did they not think people would want editable midi notes, clip launching and patterns on the touch display?

Regarding Drambo. It is powerful enough to handle Elektron gear duties. With the right ipad, one could just be a tablet musician.

Posted : 02/06/2022 8:50 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=117126]But Yamaha thinks that people would rather use a PC DAW. [/quotePost]
Ze horror, most of them would.

[quotePost id=117126]With the right ipad, one could just be a tablet musician. [/quotePost]
And they are.
And with a DAW, one could just be a computer musician.

Incredible, it's 2022.

Posted : 02/06/2022 9:20 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Neither of which (Computer or iPad) will help you realise creations of an arpeggio on the MODX/Montage to the extent of the system's ability to juggle and respond to notes and keys, conditionals, etc.

But you know that.

Posted : 02/06/2022 10:26 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

Your continuous asking for features you have no use for must be one of the most enjoyable unintended fun sides of this forum.
Keep on giving, generous soul.

Posted : 02/06/2022 10:57 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Dont get me started on Montage arpeggios. Just "use your ears" as some have said. But no worries its super easy and convenient!!

Step 1) Find your arpeggio 2) load your arpeggio 3) make sure all your other parts have corresponding arpeggios for each scene.

Want to make your own?
Step 1) record your arpeggio into your Daw and transfer to usb drive or if using the Montage performance recorder, play it in very carefully and deliberately. Slow down the tempo if you have to. Make a mistake, just hit undo and record it again. Make sure you choose the proper arpeggio settings for the type of part you want before saving the pattern
2) save the pattern as an arpeggio and wait wait wait for 1 minute
3) Load the part you want and call up the arpeggio pattern you just saved.
4) play it back. If it doesnt sound good repeat steps 1-3 again.

Posted : 02/06/2022 11:03 am
Dragos
Eminent Member

[quotePost id=117130]
Step 1) record your arpeggio into your Daw and transfer to usb drive [/quotePost]
Or just record it back from the DAW into Montage's Performance (or Pattern) Recorder.
Yes, Montage Connect should allow transfer of patterns from the computer to the synth and it doesn't currently. It's a feature request on IdeaScale.

But the workaround described above works and makes for a very quick workflow (just make sure you have Key On Start ON in the Pattern recorder).

Check here for the correct setup to be synchronized with the DAW and for why Key on start needs to be ON: https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/recording-midi-from-daw-into-pattern-sequencer-missing-first-note

Posted : 02/06/2022 11:30 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

[quotePost id=117129]Your continuous asking for features you have no use for must be one of the most enjoyable unintended fun sides of this forum.
Keep on giving, generous soul.[/quotePost]

Glad you enjoy!

Posted : 02/06/2022 12:39 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us