Notifications
Clear all

Excluding superknob from one or more asigned knob controol

19 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes Bedminster the last two points are good alternative. I just looking for gsi burn external effect. I can send organ by montage seconds line out to gsi burn and come back in input line...in this montage is a very good hardware, but before do that I wanna try to use montage at the limit of its possibility in this direction.
Consider also that I come from red keyboard (ns2) in which this kind of regulation for organ are very good in live and I try to reproduce on montage.
Thanks and I cross my fingers about next firmware.
Ciao :--)

Posted : 15/08/2016 5:10 am
Bad Mister

So why not apply the Distortion to the organ (Part)? Seriously, you are applying the Distortion via the Master Effect (why?) let's compare what you're doing to a real world situation - where the Montage Performance is a mixer with different instruments plugged into its channels... So each Part is a musician...

If you think of each Montage Part as an individual musician, each has a channel on the 16 input mixer. Each Part has its own two Insertion Effects. These belong to that musician alone. These Insert Effects can be directly controlled by assigning controllers.

Each channel on the Montage Mixer has a Send to the Reverb, has a Send to the Variation Effect. The Send amount to each of these two Auxiliary-type Send/Return effects, is assignable to controllers.

What you are doing with the Master Effect, is taking the entire mixer (tout le monde) and running it through a stomp box!

Now, of course, you can do that. But it simply is not the "best" method, IMHO. If you were tackling this issue in the real world, would you really run the entire mixer through the Distortion? That's my point. Why not do what any sound person would do... Either put the distortion (as an Insert Effect) on the single Part that is using it, as a Part Insert Effect. This would give real time control over it. _Or if you want to make it available for all Parts, set it up as the Variation Effect, this way each Part you want to Send to Distortion can be sent and you will not have to run into the wall you (unnecessarily) have run into. You could assign a knob to control the Send into the effect for all Parts you want to control!

Sends from Parts can be assigned to the Ribbon, and MW (by the way)... I saw this in another question you posted... So you were thinking correctly, it's just your final decision was just 'way out there'. The "organ player" (a single Part) does not have direct control of the global master effects. They do have control over their own Insertion Effects, they do have control over their own Send amounts. The individual player, or Part, does not have direct control over the Master Effects, make sense?

I think what you want is totally possible, but you have to think WITH the instrument, not randomly or against how it is designed to work. Please try some of these suggestions, particular since you need the kind of control you mention (which is reasonable enough) just your method going about it leaves something to be desired... Because of *where* you chose to patch in your Distortion Effect!

You've taken the entire mixer and are running all musicians through a stomp box, I'm sure it's been done, but... (There just might be, as in this case, "a better way" to accomplish your goal. Hope that helps. Let us know. We are not sure exactly what result you are looking for (and that is for you to setup for yourself) but from what info you have given us, it seems no firmware change is necessary, just an adjustment in approach).

Posted : 15/08/2016 11:23 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes Badmister, changing approach and apply part by part single knob control workaround the problem but it means a lot of time programming. Thinking about musician's not professional like me, with a baby in home... I found a organ program with 8 parts programmed by yamaha that have just super knob setting. I like it but it isn't without distortion. No anytime I need distortion but it depends by the live situation......what is my approach? I take the yahama setting that I like and I only try to apply overdrive by master fx. This approach is very fast and also efficient to obtain my aim. Sorry me....but it is similar to red keyboard approach. So I see that with a little modification to firmware (little to me....I don't know to yamaha) I have exactly this rapid and efficient function. To me could be a dream. The way you suggest me means changing 8 parts effects and controllers and master controller link. It take a lot of time. Immagine instead if I can found out also complex program programmed by professionist and with little modification I can use it as it is or as little amount of overdrive added....I see that each part have effects setted and when I find out a preset program that I like no any time I wanna change it immediately, but in function of realtime performance.
Starting from 8 parts program and doing what you say, a part the time modification that it take, it is the result that I can obtain that is not sure better than yamaha programmer so I don't want brake the setted program....but only adjust in case of necessities....may you understand way I suggest this approach?
I know that with long time programming it is possible to obtain this aim, but with a few times that I have, I prefere play and discover a professionist sound designed :--)
Thanks anyway. I think that montage is super, but with little modification could be perfect :--)

Posted : 15/08/2016 12:34 pm
Bad Mister

"...a lot of time programming" This is a good thing, it's a synthesizer.

I still think your approach is upside down. Taking another programmer's work, and attempting to add to it without studying what they've done, will inevitably lead to conflicts just as you have run into. You will want to get to the point where the first thing YOU add to the programming actually works to compliment the original programming, not conflict with it. But to each their own.

But have fun.

Posted : 15/08/2016 12:49 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us