Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

external midi in , velocity global control ( in coming midi too loud )

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Mr. Spock
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have an external midi controller that I like to use with my Montage it has special features that I love but it doesn't have velocity control .
The controller is velocity sensitive and it's too sensitive for me .
If I play a note a little to hard the volume quickly screams loud and distorts .
A simple solution ( at least I thought ) is to adjust the velocity on the Montage .
This works great if playing on the Montage itself but to my surprise has no effect on incoming midi data from my controller ( unless I'm doing something wrong ) .

I know what your thinking just adjust the velocity from with in the patch (sound) , and your right that does work but it's on a per patch ( element/operator ) basis which means
every-time I change a sound I have to change the velocity of the sound which is quite tedeous with thousands of sounds with elements and operators .

My question ?
Is there anyway to have the Montage adjust the velocity of incoming midi notes from my external controller on a GLOBAL LEVEL ?
If not is there a work around or an external device that can help ?

Posted : 26/03/2019 5:27 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I am not aware of a setting that will globally scale/limit incoming MIDI velocities.

Posted : 26/03/2019 5:43 pm
Bad Mister

I have an external midi controller that I like to use with my Montage it has special features that I love but it doesn't have velocity control .
The controller is velocity sensitive and it's too sensitive for me .
If I play a note a little to hard the volume quickly screams loud and distorts .
A simple solution ( at least I thought ) is to adjust the velocity on the Montage .
This works great if playing on the Montage itself but to my surprise has no effect on incoming midi data from my controller ( unless I'm doing something wrong ) .

Not sure why the adjustment of the MONTAGE Velocity works when you play the MONTAGE keys is a surprise... what should it do? Or a better question: what did you expect it to do? If you are hitting the keys of MONTAGE you should anticipate the Velocity Curve controls how the MONTAGE KEYBOARD responds. Not your external Keyboard.

If you want to adjust how the MONTAGE Tone Generator responds to your external keyboard, you should expect to adjust the Tone Generator parameters within the instrument sound... these would be Part Edit parameters. You seem to understand this but you don’t accept it as a reality. Please accept it it is reality. Within each Part you have a Velocity Offset and Depth setting for just this purpose... adjusting how the Tone Generator responds to Keyboard Velocity (be it the attached keyboard or In via MIDI). And yes, it is on a per program basis, of course.

My question ?
Is there anyway to have the Montage adjust the velocity of incoming midi notes from my external controller on a GLOBAL LEVEL ?

No, afraid not!

Get a controller that offers Velocity Curve Control. You state your answer in the very first statement in your post. You need one that adjusts — not a major thing for a keyboard controller (‘one-size fits all’ is not the case when it comes to keyboard velocity). There is probably a MIDI solution but you’d have to see if simply buying a better external controller might be less expensive, overall. You might run the MIDI signal through a computer with an application that readjusts velocity on-the-fly... you know what you need (I don’t happen to know of one, sorry) but I’m sure it exists, somewhere.

Posted : 26/03/2019 5:55 pm
Mr. Spock
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I am not aware of a setting that will globally scale/limit incoming MIDI velocities.

Wow Jason you usually have great solutions, if you can't think of anything I must be up the creak with out a paddle .

Posted : 26/03/2019 6:02 pm
Mr. Spock
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My question ?

Get a controller that offers Velocity Curve Control. You state your answer in the very first statement in your post. You need one that adjust — not a major thing. There is probably a solution but you’d have to see if simply buying a better external controller might be less expensive, overall. You might run the MIDI signal through a computer with an application that readjusts velocity... you know what you need (I don’t happen to know of one, sorry) but I’m sure it exists.

Thanks Bad Mister , the thing is this is a very special controller with special features but velocity control is not one of them but I still really want to use it .
I was just experimenting and found that the Arp velocity setting of 64% or so , works perfectly for adjusting my external controller velocity but I must have the Arp on at all times .

I found something interesting called MIDI Solutions Velocity Converter http://www.midisolutions.com/prodvel.htm , I wonder if it will work .

Posted : 26/03/2019 6:15 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Using Montage alone you cannot globally scale - but external software or hardware can work. If you are willing to put a computer or hardware between - you have options. I gathered you were looking for options on Montage alone - which is where I was coming from with my initial reply.

Posted : 26/03/2019 6:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us