Clear all

FC7 foot controller - range control?

15 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Hi everyone! This might be a dumb question that I missed the answer to in the manual, but - - I just got my FC7 foot pedal, and I've assigned it to the FC2 port on the Montage. It seems that the control range only goes from 0 to about 56% or so. At the assign screen, there is a value that can be set from 0-99, but that does not seem to make any difference as far as the range that I'm allowed to trigger from the FC7. Have any of you experienced this, and has anyone found the way to modify the configuration properly? Thanks!! 🙂

Posted : 12/07/2016 5:04 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, it seems to me that 0-99 is relative to the control change number, not about the pedal range from 0 to 127.
What screen do you talk ? Be precise please.
What do you want to control with your FC7 ?

Ps by default the FC7 plug in FC2 port of the Montage control the Super Knob.

Posted : 12/07/2016 5:50 pm
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Hi Joel! I am indeed trying to control the Super Knob from the FC7. That "assign screen" I mentioned, I think is actually the selection control change number that you've clarified (THANKS!).

What seems odd is that with the pedal in the "toe UP" position, The Super Knob assumes the "1" position (rotated all the way to the left). With the "toe DOWN" position (all the way), I'd expect that I'd get the maximum Super Knob turn to the left. But for some reason, it only moves to 50% (not all the way extreme right).

I'm guessing that there must be a setting somewhere which allows me to specify the range that the FC7 pedal covers (default SHOULD be like 1-100%, right?).

Posted : 12/07/2016 7:28 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Hi, i didn't seen any "assign screen" on the Montage.

Each performance can have is own setting for each controler to select the control change it used.

It's on Performance > Edit Common > Control > Control Number

Here you can seen that the FC2 can used "control change" from 1 to 95 and the Super Knob after CC95.

If you want to ask a question about a setting of a screen, it's better to tell us the exact name of the screen and where it is :
Home, Edit Common, Edit part Common or edit part OSC/OPERATOR

To select the range of each assignable knob control by the Super knob you go to :

Home > Motion Control > super Knob
For each Assignable knob you can set a range from 0 to 127.
Even with a range limited for example 0 to 80, It's the run of the assignable knob that is limited from 0 to 80, the Super Knob "run" will be always complet from the right (07h00) to the left (17h00).

The midi range of a foot control is from 0 to 127 and yes pedal down, it must be 100% so 127 in midi range.

Even if in a scene you select super knob setting "on" with a limited number, it recall this value when you press the scene number, but if you are using the FC7, the super knob run will be always complete.

At this step i cannot see where the range of the Super Knob can be limited to only go max to the 50% of is run and same thing for the FC7 witch control the Super Knob.

Are you sure your FC7 work fine ?
Have you test on others performance like preset performances, is it the same ?

Ps do not dupplicate the same question beetween Facebook Montage Community and here 😉

Posted : 12/07/2016 8:27 pm
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Hi again Joel! I'm not referring to MIDI with this. For example: If I select the DJ Montage part & begin playing, I can use the FC7 pedal, and I seehear that it is triggering the changes on the Montage. Problem is that instead of the updown pedal positions moving the value all the way from 0-100%, the value only goes up to maximum of 50% (12h00).

What I was improperly referring to as the "assign screen" is indeed the Control Number setting (sorry about that).

Performance > Edit Common > Control > Control Number

Posted : 12/07/2016 8:48 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

ok, thanks for your video on the facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/leon.sexton/videos/10154330641127292/

I didn't seen a way to reduce the range of the pedal or super knob "run", perhaps something that i have not yet seen, i suspect a pedal problem without seen another explanation, do you have a friend who have an FC7 to test another FC7 pedal in FC2 ?

Posted : 12/07/2016 9:53 pm
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Unfortunately, no musical friends close by. I think I'll take the FC7 to the local Guitar Center within the next few days, if I don't find a parameter change that I can correct. If that fails, I'll look to send the pedal back for a (hopefully) working replacement. Thanks for your help though!! If you, or anyone else comes across a solution in the meantime, I will greatly appreciate it!

Posted : 12/07/2016 10:12 pm
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

So, I just ordered a 2nd FC7 pedal. The volume control seems to work fine with this when I plug the FC7 into the Foot Control 1 jack. If the 2nd one doesn't work as expected, then I'll know I have a bigger problem. Otherwise, another $40... Oh well...

Posted : 13/07/2016 12:45 am
Bad Mister

From what I'm reading here the FC7 works... Perhaps expectations of what it's supposed to do is what's going on. Let's try a simple test, okay?

Please recall the Live Set: "Best of Montage 1"
Recall the first factory Preset Performance: "CFX + FM EP"

Play this sound. You should hear an acoustic piano when you first recall the Performance. The Super Knob will be at minimum (7 o'clock).
Move the pedal so it is Heel-down, completely. This will allow to now move the lights surrounding the Super Knob.
Move the pedal so that it is now completely Toe-down. This will now allow you to hear the Electric Piano sound.

Heel down = minimum 7 o'clock on the dial
Toe down = maximum 5 o'clock on the dial

Let us know. (Do not spend another dollar, please).

Posted : 13/07/2016 10:15 am
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Good morning Bad Mister!

Heel down = minimum 7 o'clock on the dial
Toe down = maximum 12 o'clock (noon) on the dial.

If I manually turn the super knob further, it will go all the way, as expected. Using the FC7, however, it has never gone much past the 12 o'clock position.

Not sure if you'll be able to view this video, but I posted it on the FB Montage Community page. It shows what's occuring.
https://www.facebook.com/leon.sexton/videos/10154330641127292/ .

Posted : 13/07/2016 12:06 pm
Bad Mister

No, sorry, I can't view your video.
To be clear, we are talking "CFX + FM EP" Factory Preset?

The reason I ask:
I'm guessing that there must be a setting somewhere which allows me to specify the range that the FC7 pedal covers (default SHOULD be like 1-100%, right?).

Yes, there is, well, there's a way to limit the range of the Super Knob, so I'm trying to be sure that's not what is happening.

Posted : 14/07/2016 12:07 pm
 Tom
Eminent Member

I've learned that you need to "reset" the pedal by bringing it back to 0 (soft).
Then the Superknob works.

Posted : 14/07/2016 5:31 pm

This may be far fetched, but are you using the pedal with original wiring configuration?

Some other boards, like Clavia's Nord Electro, needs to have the tip and ring of the plug switched to use FC7 as a swell pedal. Needless to say, such rewiring causes odd behaviour with Yamaha gear. Which I actually tried with Montage before rewiring my old FC7 back to original and it behaved somewhat oddly. Same issue with a Roland sustain pedal that I like for on stage use and it needs all three contacts to be rewired for proper use with Yamaha gear.

Posted : 15/07/2016 4:10 pm
Leon
 Leon
Topic starter

Dear Knights of the Montage: The issue has been very simply resolved. The first FC7 pedal is defective. My new one just came in, and I've confirmed that it works perfectly!! Thank you all so much for your assistance with this! This thread can now be closed out. Happy Friday everyone!

Posted : 15/07/2016 4:32 pm
Joel
 Joel
Honorable Member

Great news, that's generaly a pedal problem when you cannot use it completly, the resistance is not fully dead but is range is limited.

Posted : 15/07/2016 9:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us