Clear all

Feature Requests

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Andy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi here are some requests i'd like to make having had the monty for 4 days: ( have ignored several others after seeing the V1.5 videos)

1. Headphone Volume soft Knob: the headphone out is extremely loud. It will be good to have a volume knob just for the headphone independent from the main out gain fader.

2. Shift + scene does not register the scene settings (mixer, arp, e.t.c) until the scene is activated on the touch screen. So basically shift + scene is not effective unless all the parameters are switched on the screen

Posted : 06/03/2017 10:46 am
 Andy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

3. There should be a soft takeover setting for the faders. If i change the volume levels on the screen and then adjust the fader, the faders not being high resolution doesn't recognize the screen level so there has to be a catch up which distorts mix levels. TBH i would expect high res faders and pots at this price for a 2017 instrument

4. Copy part, efx, arp, MS and SK settings to other parts.

5. Start up memory. It should boot to the last setting prior to switch off

6. Auto power- it is preferable to have a sleep mode than a complete shut down.

7. ability to over write factory performances. Many of them show case some level of capability but are totally redundant and over done. The Easy Sounds library seem more usable. This will also provide more space for user libraries

8. Ability to set ' Favourites' for Arps. 10k arps is nice but kills spontaneity and creativity. The entire Arp feature on this instrument needs some overhaul- i don't have any recommendations yet '

9. Ability to edit the Arps ( w/o exporting and importing from DAW). Just take a look at the 2003 Roland V synth arp feature- one of the best out there, musical , intuitive and Simple. I am really hoping future updates can address this.

Posted : 06/03/2017 11:19 am
roberto
Eminent Member

Andy wrote:

2. Shift + scene does not register the scene settings (mixer, arp, e.t.c) until the scene is activated on the touch screen. So basically shift + scene is not effective unless all the parameters are switched on the screen

Ok my montage when I press shift+ scene automatically activate all the parameters for the memorization

Posted : 06/03/2017 5:00 pm
Stefan

Andy wrote:
3. There should be a soft takeover setting for the faders. If i change the volume levels on the screen and then adjust the fader, the faders not being high resolution doesn't recognize the screen level so there has to be a catch up which distorts mix levels. TBH i would expect high res faders and pots at this price for a 2017 instrument
7. ability to over write factory performances. Many of them show case some level of capability but are totally redundant and over done. The Easy Sounds library seem more usable. This will also provide more space for user libraries

A few quick comments:
3.: The faders are high resolution. At least if you move the faders while having the main performance display in view then you can see that they can address all the values from 0 to 127 smoothly. The faders of course can not move with the changes you make through the display. That would be awesome, but certainly much more expensive. Maybe you experience that something else: The faders are absolute, not relative! If you move the fader, the volume will not change until it is a the same value as the current volume. Only then will the volume start to change.
7.: Considering that you have close to 6000 performances you can freely program, why not just ignore the preset the performances if you don't like them?

Posted : 06/03/2017 7:56 pm
 Andy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

8. DAW remote set up so that typical DAW- Cubase, Ableteon Live e.g. can be remotely controlled from Montage

Posted : 07/03/2017 2:45 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Partially addressing "8." - for Cubase:

Under the remote setup (Devices -> Device Setup ... , "+" Add Device, Generic Remote - then edit under Remote Devices->Generic Remote) there are options to assign controls or note events. If you really wanted to setup transport controls using Montage - you could assign perhaps some note-on events for start/stop/rewind/etc. The general idea is something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ed3HFtZ1tg

Youtube isn't working for me this morning - so I cannot see exactly what the video is doing - but likely not using note-on for the input events. Modify according to the events you want to use to trigger the various transport controls.

Yes, it would be "nice" to have transports on a different device (port) so these are more easily filtered from other MIDI data and "nice" to have associated with more dedicated buttons - but I think what is available is workable to achieve most goals without much overhead for cleanup and setup.

Posted : 07/03/2017 4:18 pm
david
Reputable Member

I think there might be an option for the faders to behave in different ways. I might be thinking of my other synth. though. Doesn't the LED level indicator tell you where the level is relative to the slider position? Doesn't the LED level change with the touch screen adjustment? The slider will have to pass that LED level position in order to "catch-up" with the actual numerical value.

I'd like it if all of the LEDs below the level position would all be lit like how a real level meter works.

Posted : 07/03/2017 7:22 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Sliders "catching" the current value:

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/volume-sliders-unresponsive-at-times#reply-12304
or
https://www.yamahasynth.com/forum/can-t-use-both-knobs-faders-simultaneously-over-midi#reply-12827
or
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/fc7-controller-assigned-to-superknob-intermittant-issue-when-switching-between-sounds#reply-12763

I've seen the meter LED request before. It would make the LEDs more consistent with the knobs. For me its a fairly low priority item and am fine with the current implementation.

Posted : 07/03/2017 8:08 pm
david
Reputable Member

There must also be a way to lock the fader position because I've seen performances where you could not move the LED no matter how you moved the physical slider.

Posted : 07/03/2017 8:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

BTW: from what I understand about how the headphones work - there's no way to decouple the headphones from the main volume. I believe this is a hardware design decision which cannot be modified/enhanced/changed using firmware updates. I look at input in this category as informing the next design.

I've mentioned it would be nice to have a trim/boost for the headphone - but that wasn't received very well. I'd like to be able to have the main slider all the way off and headphone set to sound in some instances so I can practice some material before the gig and not have to have my channel muted on the mixer. There are other ways to get there - but more independence in the volume would be a good thing for this use case and also other cases where you want some relative difference between the main output level and the headphone level.

You could perhaps get headphones with volume control - or add a mixer just to get more independence in the relative levels of Main vs. Phones. This has also received feedback as being (paraphrase) a silly measure to go through. However, if you want this as a feature - you have to do something approaching silly.

Posted : 07/03/2017 10:04 pm
 Andy
Eminent Member
Topic starter

10. Add part and element Pan as a control destination . i wanted to pan certain elements of a drum kit using ms moving left to right in sync however pan is not destination for awm drum kit.

Posted : 10/03/2017 11:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us