Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Finally: use MONTAGE faders as external controllers!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

Hi Montage users,

Just wanted to let you know I've come up with a way for Logic users to make use of MONTAGE faders for controlling pretty much anything! The Montage itself doesn't let you use its faders for anything but internal part levels - kind of a crazy limitation for anyone who wants to use MONTAGE as a real controller. Here's the solution, at least for Logic users:

https://youtu.be/a6hQq7GXF84

More info at www.jimdaneker.com/montage

Cheers!
Jim

Posted : 29/07/2017 4:40 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Jim's offering is great for the point task at hand - but if you do not fall under the category of the solution space - consider some of the available alternatives.

Although not (without editing the source) offering the reverse polarity mode (for drawbars) - a generic/free solution that will work in certain instances is midi16CCRouter. The binaries available show Mac+PC 32 or 64 bit versions - so no bridge is required.

Bome MIDI translator is another option.

ctrlr may be an option (steeper learning curve).

midipipe (mac) can work for other situations outside of Logic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hHByfJWAf0

There are also hardware translators out there - they tend to be expensive - but probably more stable if you have extensive live use and are targeting a hardware device rather than software. If targeting a software instrument - you've already dove into the shallow end of the reliability pool so probably not worth going hardware translator to feed software.

Do support Jim if there is value to using this under Logic - as there is likely more great things to come if you reward his efforts.

Posted : 29/07/2017 5:32 am
Jim
 Jim
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words Jason. As for reliability, I've used this setup for almost 20 years (Logic for stems & VI's) on high-end tours with major artists, and it's been rock solid. If you know what you're doing in Logic's Environment, it's amazing what you can do 😉

Anyway, yeah, what I'm offering can be accomplished to some degree with other 3rd party solutions, but a big part of my solution is the custom B3 channel strip. I cringe when I hear most software attempts at that, but having played the real deal so long (and quite a historical combo), I hope it adds real value 😉

Cheers!

Posted : 29/07/2017 3:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I tried myself the midi16CCrouter path with Cubase/Windows and haven't gotten it to work yet. I'm not a DAW guy - but I certainly think your solution for Logic will be much more user friendly possibly than a different solution with a setup hassle like the free stuff seems to have. Forum posts for this (midi16CCrouter) software seem to indicate issues because the VST loads as an instrument instead of effect. The last post has no solution - but I see editing some text file (a file I have problems finding) as possible a method to force the VST to load one way or the other. I'm not inclined to try to sort this one out. Besides this - Cubase has crashed a few times (not destructively) - it just locked out all inputs no matter how I configured it until restarting Cubase then all was good again. It's this kind of ease of messing up the software that I kind of expect out of a PC which is tasked for doing a million other things outside of being a music device. I'm sure having a Mac would alleviate some of this - but still you see the pros with 10 backups in case the house of cards falls down. In today's world - I may be overstating the reliability story -- see bias below.

I certainly have a bias which is what keeps me purchasing things like Montage (so it, the bias, seeps out) - I also see the more moving parts you have (a keyboard and a computer and ...) the lower your MTBF is - but I certainly see the value in software since it's relatively cheaper to get a new sound and expand the effects and/or tone palette by spending a couple hundred vs. a couple thousand for some shiny new sounds.

It's a real privilege to have in demand working pros here on the forum.

Posted : 29/07/2017 5:01 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us