Clear all

First Impressions

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I just brought my new Montage 7 home, hooked it up to the speakers and turned it on. The touch-screen user interface looks very intuitive at first glance. Without having read any of the manuals yet, I was easily able to get to a vibraphone sound.

I was blown away by the sound quality of that vibraphone. It sounded way better than any vibraphone I've ever heard on my Motif XF. For that matter, it's possible that it sounded better than any actual vibraphone I've ever heard. With only about an hour in so far, I'm a happy camper…

Posted : 12/05/2016 2:31 am
New Member Guest

Come on Micheal you can gives more than that!:)

I want to hear a sound programmed by YOU that knocks my socks off:p

Not a running commentary on every preset.;)

Any way nice one on getting one, I'm yet to find out when and if they are landing in my country.:(

Posted : 12/05/2016 6:10 am
Lawrence
Trusted Member

It's all about the vibraphone! πŸ™‚

Posted : 12/05/2016 12:32 pm

I would really LOVE to hear any other performances apart from the 20-30 that we've been hearing in all the demos/workshops...If you have the time to record a quick video, or even just audio, I'd be very grateful πŸ™‚

Posted : 12/05/2016 5:20 pm
Kiwi
 Kiwi

Lawrence wrote:

It's all about the vibraphone! πŸ™‚

No cowbell?

Posted : 12/05/2016 11:31 pm
 Sam

Michael Trigoboff wrote:...it's possible that it sounded better than any actual vibraphone I've ever heard.…

From what I've heard, the piano & guitar also set the standard that physical pianos & guitars have to aspire to.

In other words, generally, the age of physical instruments is coming to an end. They will survive, if at all, as show-off pieces of furniture (pianos), or a convenient instrument to take on travels & their tactile qualities (acoustic guitar).

Those who disagree do so out of nostalgia. The various orchestral unions put a block on using electronic keyboards for many years. The newspaper unions put a block on electronic competition to manual typesetters for many years. Where are they now? They are defunct.

Finally, humans will try to outlaw electronic competition to humans....The humans will soon also vanish & be replaced by the better replacement.

So, get & enjoy your Yamaha Montage now. I will be, soon as it arrives in the local shop (In Australia the shops refuse to return the deposit if you change your mind upon arrival).

Posted : 13/05/2016 3:13 am
Lawrence
Trusted Member

Sam wrote:

So, get & enjoy your Yamaha Montage now. I will be, soon as it arrives in the local shop (In Australia the shops refuse to return the deposit if you change your mind upon arrival).

That's a harsh policy, but the Montage is a very amazing board. I suspect you won't be changing your mind! Honestly it's WAY better than what was portrayed in the demos. The potential is huge, and although it's early days, I already think that that potential will be easily accessible, once the learning curve (at least for me) has been dealt with.

Posted : 14/05/2016 1:35 am

Since this thread is about first impressions here are mine. I got my Montage 8 this week. I have a Motif XF and a Tyros 5. The main reasons I wanted a Montage was for Live Sets, Seamless Sound Switching, ease of operation, easy to create new performances and of course the sounds themselves. I have not been disappointed. I have been a long time user of Yamaha from Motif, Motif ES, Motif XS and MotifXF and to me the Montage is a big, big change. I am especially impressed with the super knob that really makes a huge impact in the performance. I am learning my way around this new instrument, but have already had a lot of fun with it. My style is to use the Montage as the main keyboard and the Tyros 5 for the arrangements. Works for me. This is the first keyboard I have ever pre-ordered. I usually wait for it to come out for awhile. But the montage webcast by Blake and the other videos and presentations convinced me to get mine early. I loaded the Bosendorfer pianos in yesterday and could not be more pleased. Just waiting on my pedal pack to come in to complete the rig. My trustworthy Motif XF8 is being donated to my church. I have never done much with composing to a DAW, but I want to learn how, so I am looking forward to making some more interesting music with the Montage.

Posted : 14/05/2016 2:24 am
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Since that first post, I’ve listened to more of the available sounds. To me, the difference between the Montage and the Motif XF is something like the difference between regular TV and high-def TV. Somehow or other, the Montage seems to be producing sound at a higher resolution than the Motif XF does, at least to my ears…

Posted : 16/05/2016 3:29 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us