Notifications
Clear all

Foot Controller Assignment

10 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

So I have a performance split (Bass, Organ Hammond Type in right hand). I’m using a volume pedal to control organ volume during live play. The trouble: The volume of BOTH parts go up and down of course. That is— both my bass “and” organ parts. Is there a way for me to “assign” the volume pedal to the organ part (only)?

Thanks

Posted : 25/04/2019 2:24 pm
Bad Mister

If the pedal you have is a Yamaha FC7 you can program it to control either Part or both in a number of ways.

The default for the MONTAGE is FC7 plugged into the Foot Controller 1 jack will do cc11 Expression, an FC7 plugged into Foot Controller 2 will move the Super Knob... but you can reprogram this on a per Performance basis, if you require.

With an FC7 pedal plugged in you can opt to have one or both (or neither) of the Parts follow it.
From the HOME screen:
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Control” > “Control Numbers
Here you can define what each assignable controller is sending.

Press [PART SELECT 1]
Press [EDIT]
Touch “Mod/Control” > “Receive Switch”
Here you can (on a per Part basis) turn “Vol/Exp” On or Off

For the Bass Part set “Vol/Exp” = Off
Leave the Switch On for the Organ.
Press [STORE]
Give the Performance a Name and it will be placed in your User Bank

Posted : 25/04/2019 4:12 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Be aware that when you turn Vol/Exp OFF for a PART - this not only affects the expression pedal but also the slider controls for that PART. Others have wanted to selectively use the expression pedal for volume (turn on/off for certain PARTs) while maintaining slider control for any PART that has the expression pedal volume defeated. This can be accomplished. It would involve assigning the expression pedal to a CC value that is no longer one that affects volume - then use the Mod/Control->Control Assign source as your expression pedal and destination as PART volume (probably bipolar standard curve) for any PART you want to control volume with the expression pedal - and no such setup for PARTs you want to stay at their pre-programmed level even if the expression pedal is moving.

Posted : 25/04/2019 6:11 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks both of you. A little too much for me to grasp right now. Unfamiliar and a bit confusing. I’ll have to comb slowly through this one.

Posted : 25/04/2019 9:09 pm
Bad Mister

No worries, take it a step at a time.... Is the pedal you have a Yamaha FC7?

Posted : 25/04/2019 10:22 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I don’t think so. Buddy of Mine had it about 5 years never used. So I bought it from him. I’ll have to look at it but I don’t recall any Yamaha branding on it.

Posted : 26/04/2019 3:51 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Given it may not be an FC7 - you'll want to do a quick test to make sure the pedal you have is going to sweep fully between the minimum and maximum values. To do this, it would be easiest to plug in your expression pedal to the port that controls superknob.

1) Plug in your expression pedal into the Foot Controller 2 port

2) Move expression pedal in full heel position - you should see superknob showing the first two LEDs brightly lit in the counter-clockwise position

3) Move expression pedal in full toe position - you should see superknob showing the last two LEDs brightly lit in the clockwise position

That's the quick-and-dirty way. I would personally want to verify the minimum value is actually a "0" and maximum is actually a "127". You can get Montage to show you these. The following is optional if you want to know, for sure, your pedal is registering the absolute lowest and highest values.

4) Press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME) - it's a button near your DATA DIAL to the right of the touchscreen area. Doing this will just "reset" the touchscreen to a known "home" position

5) On the touchscreen, press the "Motion Control" (it's a tab on the far left side of the screen) then press the "Super Knob" tab that is on the next column over.

6) Last, place the expression pedal in full heel position - you should see a "0" as shown in the above picture for the Super Knob value. Place the expression pedal in the full toe position. You should see "127" in this same area.

If your pedal allows a full range between 0 and 127 - then your pedal passes and is going to work fine. Typically, you should reach "0" before the pedal is fully bottoming out so you have a "landing zone" - or some small range of movement where the pedal will stay 0. Just so it is for sure at 0 when full heel without having to mash it down to keep it at zero or having too much of a "hair trigger" between 0 and non-zero values. The same for the other end (full toe and 127). Assuming all of this checks out - your pedal should be "fine".

You can surely stop now unless you are a glutton for punishment. I warned you.

If you really want more gory details - and your pedal passes the above tests - there's one more "minor" consideration that may still be a difference between your pedal and the FC7 (assuming your pedal is not an FC7). The FC7 has a logarithmic potentiometer inside of this. And by this, we mean that as the pedal travels from heel to toe - each lets say degree of motion going to represent an exponential change in the signal that travels between the keyboard and the pedal. There is one other type of potentiometer different expressions have - and is arguably more common - the linear potentiometer. If yours has a linear pot (short for potentiometer) - then the travel between heel and toe will have a different value curve. Meaning that at different angles of the pedal - a linear pot will have different values than a log pot. This really dictates how fast you approach different values from any starting point. Practically, you may notice that one end of the pedal (heel area or toe area) feel "faster" in moving through values than the other. You would eventually train your foot to compensate (most likely).

The most important aspect is full range (the tests above this "warned you" section. The last is a finer detail that may not impact your usage at all. More of a performance tuning thing than a will-it-work thing.

Posted : 26/04/2019 6:34 am
Bad Mister

I don’t think so. Buddy of Mine had it about 5 years never used. So I bought it from him. I’ll have to look at it but I don’t recall any Yamaha branding on it.

Get yourself a Yamaha FC7. Do yourself a favor... you’ve bought a tailored tuxedo, don’t wear sneakers, get the right footwear!

Posted : 26/04/2019 10:19 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Lol — sounds good to me

Get yourself a Yamaha FC7. Do yourself a favor... you’ve bought a tailored tuxedo, don’t wear sneakers, get the right footwear!

Posted : 26/04/2019 10:45 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

LMAO—
“You can surely stop now unless you are a glutton for punishment. I warned you.”

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into replying to my questions. I’ll give these a try.

Posted : 26/04/2019 10:47 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us