Notifications
Clear all

Foot controller doesn't work with usb volume

23 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Jason
Illustrious Member

I hope you have at least met with success using Kontakt MIDI CC learn.

Posted : 29/06/2017 6:57 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason wrote:

I hope you have at least met with success using Kontakt MIDI CC learn.

I've used it for a volume, but there isn't a midi learn for expression so I can't use it because I need expression and not volume.
If I use to volume I can't have a max volume setted to a value less than max.....this is the things I need...set the volume less than a max possible and then regulate it with expression.....but expression isn't there in the autolearn so I can't use it.

Posted : 30/06/2017 7:09 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure how you define expression or volume. I define expression as CC = 11 and volume as CC = 7. When I was performing the Kontakt auto-learn CC, I had the FC7 (expression pedal) plugged into foot-controller port 1 which is setup on presets to use CC=11. So when I used the auto-learn feature, the knobs and switches on the Kontakt instruments set to CC=11 which is expression (not volume). This portion is working. If the CC value was set for foot controller 1 to be CC 7 - then Kontakt would learn CC=7 (volume) which be what you set. There are two foot controller connectors so one could be set for volume (CC 7) and one for expression (CC 11). Concerning the ability of Montage to send expression CC messages and for Kontakt to receive these using the auto-learn feature, there is no limitation other than what you are willing to set the controllers to. Obviously if you setup none of the controllers to map to CC 11 (or otherwise turn off transmit of CC for the foot controller) then the fact that expression is not being learned is not a functional issue but a setup issue.

Again, this is putting blinders on any other issue you may be having and just singularly focused on the ability of Montage to send MIDI CC information that Kontakt uses to auto-map controls to Yamaha controllers which can send CC values.

There is a MIDI learn capability for any CC - Kontakt is doing the learning and has been shown here to be capable of learning CC 11 (expression). Likewise, Montage has been demonstrated as capable of sending expression CC (CC 11) using the FC7. I'm not sure what leads you to state that expression cannot be learned by Kontakt. I'm running Kontakt in stand-alone mode. If using as a VST - then you also have to deal with any filtering that may be going on at the DAW level as a possibility. Running Kontakt in stand-alone mode is a quick test for any DAW configuration issues.

Posted : 30/06/2017 8:41 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason yes my montage send CC11 (expression) to kontakt but the problem is that on kontakt there is only one fader that set the volume, so you can not set it to defined volume (les than its max) and than switch with pedal signal from zero to the setted volume on kontakt less than max because when you use pedal to drive the kontakt fader volume it everytime go from zero to max level and go over the before setted volume that I had setted by hands on kontakt. do you undesteand what I mean?
When kontakt go to max volume I have a lot of distorsion on signal so usually I set the volume to less value, but when I associate with autolearn kontakt volume to montage pedal the volume of kontakt go from zero to max level that cause distortion so it is impossible to use it because, as I say befor, kontakt have only volume fader control and not expression that should drive volume level from zero to setted level (different to max possible that cause distortion).
So one more time....it should be a expression pedal on montage that work on main output on montage (and not that work like midi controller) I solved this problem and also a problem of volume change in the switching on montage programs that bad mister doesn't want to answere anymore.....after that he say, with arrogance, that I have to stay in front of montage and no firmware is necessary.
One more time I can say that firmware should be updated to solve this issue that old keyboard like roland fantom g and also other competitor does have it.
Bad mister? are you still with us?

Posted : 30/06/2017 12:09 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

As stated, I'm only last trying to resolve a singular issue you were having and stated as a lower priority - MIDI CC auto-learn. It appears auto learn is working fine for you.

When I right click on the instrument "Demo - C3 Blues" (part of the "Band" plug in) volume dial - the single volume dial for this instrument - I am able to auto-learn. I use the expression pedal to move and now the Kontakt instrument volume dial on Kontakt moves with the expression pedal. I right-click on the Kontakt instrument volume dial, and see automation is set to CC 11. When I move the expression pedal, the organ is louder or softer all the way off in full heel, all the way load in full toe, and all points between.

So I am not seeing the volume go from zero to max. I see it go from zero, all points between (following the pedal) and finally to max if I have the pedal in full toe position. This instrument I do not see a "slider" as you describe Kontakt having a slider. I didn't go through all the instrument types - but all the ones I went through have a Kontakt instrument volume dial (not slider) I could assign to the expression pedal.

When I click on the wrench icon (upper left of instrument) - a screen is shown with the Kontakt instrument volume dial.

It's a little tough to follow, with respect to MIDI learn, what your issue is.

Maybe you're describing you do not like how the software responds to MIDI CC messages and how that interacts with your setting values using the mouse or keyboard on Kontakt. Regardless, what you're describing does not sound like an issue with MIDI CC learn.

If you get distortion I guess this can happen in two places - distortion on the incoming audio exceeding limits (gain too high) or on output for your speakers (main level too high). Your master volume slider is the control for making sure your output volume is appropriately set to both not overdrive your speakers/monitors (too high) or to provide enough volume to be heard (not too low).

If the gain is too high on the instrument coming out of Kontakt - there is, directly under the instrument volume meter, an instrument master volume control. This volume control is not able to be MIDI controlled because it is a limiter for each device and meant to match your connected hardware - not dynamically set volume (much like Montage's master volume slider - although you are free to use both any way you wish). If Kontakt is "running too hot" - then adjust the instrument volume in Kontakt using Kontakt's master volume control so the distortion does not take place. This is after confirming the issue is not with your Montage master volume slider.

I cannot tell if you are properly setting up your VST in this regard and experiencing problems due to mis-configuration (audio engineering / "running the board"). Properly setup, you will experience no distortion in the audio chain unless this was something you setup intentionally to provide a distortion effect. There are times when distortion is desired - so I covered the bases in the description. Sounds like you do not want the distortion, so I believe that proper level/gain setting is required here.

I still don't know what exactly the issue is, so this next little story may not apply - just food for thought for a general case.

I once bought a car that came with a bicycle in the trunk. Instead of a basket on the handlebars (like some bicycles have) this bicycle had a gas can attached to the handle bars.

I would frequently run out of gas and was happy the bicycle was in the trunk so I could ride it to a gas station, fill the handle-bar gas can up with fuel, and return to the car to put some gas in - always enough to make it to the nearest gas station.

Later I bought I new car. I ran out of gas. No problem, I popped the trunk but was furious to find no bicycle with a gas can. No gas can. No bicycle. Now this was the age before cell phones - but you better believe after settling that issue I called the car company complaining about lack of a bicycle in the trunk. I mean, my past car had it. It solves the issue of running out of gas each time. Come to find out, I'm supposed to keep the gas tank full on a car.

Posted : 30/06/2017 1:36 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Jason, without pedal controol on kontakt I never set the kontakt volume because it cause distortion on montage output, so usually I set it at -3db or less (it depend from instrument).
When I assign pedal with autolearn I see that when I put pedal to max volume it go to +12db that cause a very big distortion so I don't want it.
My desire shoud be that when the pedal is on max pedal position on kontakt the max volume is -3db (instead 12db) because with 12db I have distortion. This is what it is called expression (because you modulate volume from zero to setted value (in my case -3db) with pedal volume) and this is what pedal do with montage internal parts (it doesn't change volume setting for each part but only modulate the amount of this volume setted).
Do you have undesteand now? I hope so....if not please don't go away. the important things is not this one....the important things is that montage doesn't expression control that act on master output but only expression control that via midi act on parts and this is why there is this kind of problem and a problem when I go from one montage program to other montage program. But bad mister seems that don't care about it.

Posted : 30/06/2017 1:54 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

By the way the kontakt problem is not important to me because I don't user it live.....but for the user that think to use it I think that it could be a issue.

Posted : 30/06/2017 1:55 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Correction: The Kontakt instrument master volume can be assigned to a MIDI CC - I previously wasn't clicking in the right area. However, at least for the "band" instrument - I would not use this. I would use the "Volume" (amplifier volume) within the instrument's edit mode. I would use the Kontakt instrument master volume to match Montage so it does not distort and save the setting so it is recalled with the same Kontakt master volume setting to prevent distortion. Then I can use the expression pedal full toe and full heel with no distortion.

The string demo I set the instrument to -20dB Kontakt master volume and am able to use full range heel-to-toe with the expression pedal (FC7) MIDI CC auto-learn to the Kontakt edit menu amplifier volume.

Posted : 30/06/2017 2:31 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us