General back-up question ...

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello - is it possible to create two identical Libraries on the USB by doing the conversion twice? Just that I seem to have managed this, unwittingly, when I would have thought Montage would either refuse to do it, or point it out to me. If it is possible, can I just delete one of them, or will both disappear?

Posted : 17/04/2018 12:49 pm
Bad Mister

Are you asking can you create two identical Library Files? Which is asking can two files exist on a USB stick that have the same name... usually a system will identify each with a number 1, 2, etc. Certainly if you place that usb stick in your computer they will be given a number indicating you used the same name. But you’re doing this, so tell us what you see. I’ve never done that... so don’t know.

Posted : 17/04/2018 12:57 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM - yes indeed. I have just been down to my musicube and checked. All 12 slots in the USB Libraries file on page 1 are occupied correctly with stuff I know I put there. On page 2 I should only find one Library that I know I put there - but there are 9 slots occupied. The first 8 are exact repeats of the last 8 on page 1. I may have accidentally copied 1 twice - but not 8. I cannot check on the contents of them unless I load into Montage, but the titles are identical - no extra numbers or letters, exact repeats. I have no idea how that could have happened? The 9th slot is occupied by my last Library (Easy Sounds 'Stage and Studio'), which I saved and it is not repeated. Can I delete just the repeat Libraries, or might both they and the originals disappear?

Posted : 17/04/2018 1:34 pm
Bad Mister

I cannot give you a “Get out of jail free” card, because I don’t know (if you don’t know, how could I possibly know) what is in those files. I spend time on the phone with many MONTAGE users and have run into situations where the user has misnamed files, created files by accident by overwriting existing data, which can cause wrong information in the file versus the name on the file. I’ve had users attempt to write a Library File from a Library (sic)... you cannot write from a READ ONLY MEMORY location.

So short of you verifying what’s in those 8 Files you don’t remember making, there currently is no easy way to know what you actually have saved in those files.

Recommended: Use Category Search, touch “Bank/Favorite”, you will see a listing of what’s currently installed in your MONTAGE. Preset, Favorite, User, followed by your installed Libraries...
Make a BACKUP File (.X7A) this will allow you to create a complete clone of your current MONTAGE (all User Bank, Library Banks, and Songs)
You now have your MONTAGE completely backed up. Please give this file a unique name... and use it as a safety recovery file.

Initialize your MONTAGE... [UTILITY] > “Settings” > “System” > “Initialize All Data”
Load one of those Library files in question. Check it make sure it is what it says it is supposed to be.
If it is exactly correct as to what you expect. Take that file and copy it to a new folder on your computer... as a long term safety storage. If ever you need to recover from a catastrophe, you have a certified (by you) copy of that data.

Next, initialize your MONTAGE.
Load the duplicate file from your USB stick verify that it is what it says it is... if it is the same ... you already have a copy, you can delete the file.

Rinse and repeat... for each file.
When complete, you will have the good ones in a folder on your computer, and you will have cleaned the duplicates from your usb stick.

Finally initialize the MONTAGE one more time, and then restore your BACKUP (.X7A).

Make sense?

Posted : 18/04/2018 10:46 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not sure I know what you're meaning when you say a "page". If I had 9 files with the same name I would look at the file size and see if they are different. Any that have the same file size I would use a utility to tell me if the files (binaries) are identical or different. Under the windows command line there is "fc" for file compare. You can also get a visual (gui) "diff" utility. Any files that are the same you can weed out the duplicates or collect your duplicates, as redundant backups, into their own directory (folder) on the usb stick so you only have unique files on root.

Contents of library and user files can be looked at offline (without Montage) by using JM tools, possibly Jan's tools, or the alwaysdata website x7l / x7u analyzer.

Posted : 18/04/2018 1:53 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello BM and Jason - thank you for taking the time to look into my 'duplicated Libraries' problem, and for the possible solutions! BM, it's not that I don't remember creating those duplicates - I did not. That's why I originally asked if it was even possible. I have an X7A Back-up - but am I right in thinking it only backs up what is already loaded on the Montage - it does not back-up what's on the USB? And Jason, the page number of the USB file you're in is indicated at the bottom right of each page. After much cogitation, I decided to take the bull by the horns and load the least-useful duplicate (my FM-X experiments, which I can at least do all over again, as opposed to 3rd party downloads I don't remember the source of). This I did, and it contained all my experimental sounds correctly. I then deleted it from Montage, went back to the USB and deleted it (the duplicate) from the USB. I found it not only deleted the duplicate, but the original as well. Not only that, but all 8 duplicates disappeared too - but not the originals of the other seven! I have given up trying to figure that out. My worry now is that I install the X7A Back-up - will it also restore the problem? I am on the brink of taking another Back-up now, and losing the FM-X experiments on the grounds that I can do those again. Hopefully better! I am still ast sea as to how the duplication arose in the first place, though.

I hope Yamaha get rid of this stupid two-line reply window very quickly. It is an unnecessary pita ...

Posted : 18/04/2018 7:11 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us