0 Likes
Member Admin

Also

+1 for everything Fernando wrote.

He's clearly lived it.

Posted : 12/03/2021 2:53 am
 Fred
Trusted Member

I think there is no need to spend any money but on the loudspeaker themselves, if active, or amplifier/passive if so wished.

The fact of being able to try them at home along a period of time before deciding if they match your needs or otherwise go returning them is really a great deal.

Near field listening, mostly used by keyboardist, will prevent much and most of the nuisances arising otherwise.

Abolutely not !
If it were really the case, be sure that professionnal studios won't spend so much money to get a right acoustic space. Be in a big studio or in a smaller one, sound-engineers spend an incredible amount of time for studying the space and its acoustic properties.

In a home studio, even with near field monitors, sonic waves are reflecting on the walls and come to ears. One particular point is to pay attention for breaking room corners.
There are many videos on that subject. Here an example : Studio Acoustic Treatment

So, either you don't mind the quality of your final mix - and so don't spend any time and money on this issue - or, you want to get a good final product. In the last case, you will have to treat your room.

Posted : 12/03/2021 8:01 am
Reputable Member

I was talking, I thought, to someone playing for fun, so to speak.

Reaching the Moon needs quite another approach to the one used when flying a kite in the comfort of the backyard.

Anyway, toe in those near field speakers and the reflections and bouncing waves will be nothing compared to those incoming directly from the tweeters and woofers.

Or maybe you are seen enjoying the little delay/latency that lately might be searched among the many effects we are provided with to apply in our performances at the touch of a couple of buttons.
I enjoyed it very much when I was a child while hearing those waves coming from the opposite side of the room, to my amusement.
Yes: Neil DIAMOND was leaping and hoping on a Moon shadow, but his signal was coming suspiciously from the right hand wall while my single speaker (mono at those times, myself not having a single penny) was barely six feet away, and there, just on the left !!!!

Years later, we are offered appliances that are supposed to bounce waves along your plain untreated room, using walls, floor and ceiling with the purpose of extending the scene. And not by accident as it happened to me.
Even serious loudspeakers are provided with another woofer atop facing the ceiling so as to receive the appropriate commercial ticker.
In order to get those effects we are told to sit here or there to allow the engineering work, or we risk that helicopter will crash in front of us instead of far, behind those mountains there.

So, in the end, I still think you better try and hear, and move, and reset and hear again... before spending any money from the very beginning for nothing but a because.

Posted : 12/03/2021 10:08 am
 Fred
Trusted Member

Right Fernando, I see what you mean.
That said, I know people who are not professionnal musician, and are playing for fun only but are nonetheless interested in this kind of acoustic stuff πŸ˜‰

Posted : 12/03/2021 10:23 am
Reputable Member

Ohhhh.... speaking about cowbells....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPpAkmvKpo

Posted : 14/03/2021 12:35 pm
Reputable Member

πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

"The other pet peeve is the sound of smart phones..."

Time for everyone to upgrade theirs...

https://audioxpress.com/news/dirac-makes-the-new-dual-speaker-asus-rog-phone-5-the-best-sounding-smartphone-available

Posted : 18/03/2021 2:40 pm
Bad Mister

I love it ... β€œMusic reproduction is simple torture...” .... β€œMusic listening ... is now a possibility.” lol ?
Yet they still have a disclaimer... it’s still better in headphones.

How’s this for today’s pet peeve: Television sound/picture when remote, where after a year of this situation, they still have correspondents using bad computer cameras, poor or no lighting, fuzzy picture that freezes at key moments only, and marginal sound... c’mon, why do I have this hi-resolution TV if everything looks and sounds like it’s underwater.

Posted : 18/03/2021 5:34 pm
Reputable Member

I understand you very well indeed.

The hardest part for me is that terrific amount of professionals that do not realize they are popping.

Looks like nobody went into a course to be told no blowing on the microphone is the very basic basics.

Such is life...

Posted : 18/03/2021 8:12 pm
Bad Mister

It’s true! C’est la vie...

Posted : 18/03/2021 8:37 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us