Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Help - setup problems !

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I'm using a Macbook Pro with Logic Pro X and El Capitain. I recently bought a Montage 7 and a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2 and am having problems getting the connections right. I like to lay down basic song ideas in one take, with keyboard and vocal (with some harmonies) but the Voicelive needs a MIDI signal to generate the correct harmonies, whilst the Montage needs to send the audio and midi via USB to the computer. Therefore, it seems that the Montage can't send out USB (to computer) and MIDI (to Voicelive) at the same time. You can change the settings in utilities, but can only have one or the other. I'm sure there's a solution ???

Posted : 05/12/2016 11:03 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I believe when you switch to USB MIDI - MIDI out messages can no longer happen from the Montage targeting your MIDI DIN connector. I do not have a MIDI-to-USB converter to check the traffic on the MIDI-DIN connectors - but do have some programs that change Bank/ProgramNo. of an external device that I use as a test. The program does not change for the externally connected device when I have Montage in USB MIDI mode.

In order to target the TC which is connected to Montage, you can do this with Logic Pro X (instead of Montage). Montage has a facility to address the external MIDI connector (MIDI DIN connector) through USB. In a Windows/x86 architecture, there is a driver name called "MONTAGE-3" which is the device which is linked to the external MIDI connector. For Apple, I understand the driver story is different. So how one would uniquely address the external devices vs. Montage native is not something I can help with.

This is all the existing data I have:

When connecting to iOS, btw, there is no Montage Port 1 or Port 3 (a feature of the YamahaSteinberg USB driver).

iOS is "driverless" and completely Apple protocol.

Posted : 06/12/2016 12:11 am
Bad Mister

I'm using a Macbook Pro with Logic Pro X and El Capitain. I recently bought a Montage 7 and a TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2 and am having problems getting the connections right. I like to lay down basic song ideas in one take, with keyboard and vocal (with some harmonies) but the Voicelive needs a MIDI signal to generate the correct harmonies, whilst the Montage needs to send the audio and midi via USB to the computer. Therefore, it seems that the Montage can't send out USB (to computer) and MIDI (to Voicelive) at the same time. You can change the settings in utilities, but can only have one or the other. I'm sure there's a solution ???

The Montage has a built-in MIDI and audio interface for the computer. You can communicate via USB from Montage to Logic, and use the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks... to connect the TC.

The Montage USB connection is multiple ports of MIDI and multiple ports of audio, via the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver.
For MIDI, Montage Port #1 is IN/OUT for Note-one, Controllers, Tempo, etc. basic performance data
Montage Port #2 is not used currently
Montage Port #3 is the 5-pin MIDI IN/OUT jacks on the back panel.

A "Port" represents an "In" (16 channels) and an "Out" (16 channels).

This is how you would connect your TC device... MIDI Out of the Montage to MIDI In on the TC, MIDI OUT of the TC to MIDI In on Montage. Logic will see this as Port 3.

You will be using Logic to receive data from the Montage on Port 1 (Montage-1)
You could setup a track with Input as Montage-1, and Output as Montage-3 (Port 3)... Port 3 is the TC connected via the MIDI jacks.

It's basic MIDI routing. The Montage has a built-in MIDI interface for one external device. So rather than leave the 5-pin MIDI ports idle while you are setup to communicate via USB, Yamaha always allows the synthesizers to THRU data to and from an external device on those 5-pin jacks, which you address as Port 3. So anything you route OUT of Logic on Port #3 will trigger the TC. Port #1 will trigger the Montage.

You will work with LOCAL CONTROL OFF on the Montage. This way Logic will act to control the routing and re-routing of your signal.

Key presses on the Montage will be routed Out to Logic via USB on Port 1
To trigger the TC, simply reroute the signal from Logic on Port 3. To simultaneously trigger both, you can create two active tracks. Both set to receive IN from Port 1; the OUTPUT on Port 1 will trigger the Montage, the other one on Port 3 will trigger the TC.

I'm assuming you want to record. That is why I mentioned using Logic Tracks to route the signal to Ports 1 and Port 3... you may be able to accomplish the same thing with other functions in Logic's setup. (sorry I'm not a Logic person)

Don't let the fact that the Montage also has a synthesizer attached. πŸ™‚ Think of the 5-pin jacks as the ports on a standalone MIDI interface that has USB to the computer... and has regular MIDI ports as well. The Montage is a MIDI interface with a synth thrown in, for good measure.

On the audio side the same Yamaha Steinberg USB driver, works as 32-in/6-out "audio interface". Any devices connected to the 1/4" A/D inputs can be routed through the Montage on its own discreet stereo audio bus to Logic. You can even apply two Insert effects exclusively to the audio signal. So you may want to plug the audio outputs of the TC to the Montage's A/D Inputs. Audio coming into the Montage, additionally can be used as a modulation source within the massive Controller matrix.

Not only can you use the USB connection and the 5-pin MICI jacks at the same time, you can route the audio to the computer as well. The Yamaha Steinberg USB driver handles multiple port systems of MIDI and multiple ports of audio.

I think you will have some unique possibilities with this setup! Take your time, we have some resident Logic Pro folks at Yamaha (who would be better than me to give you details on your options with Logic Pro). Behind the scenes we have a continuing flow of articles, programming tips, and hope to have some specific to Logic.

The theory of the routing is sound. You'll be able to play the Montage, trigger the TC via MIDI, return its audio through Montage process it and record it all in the DAW.

The Montage features 32 audio buses to the computer and takes 6 audio returns from DAW.

Let us know what you come up with, should be awesome.

Posted : 06/12/2016 1:11 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

The Yamaha Steinberg USB driver handles multiple port systems of MIDI and multiple ports of audio.

I thought this applied to the Windows PCs, but not to Apple because Apple doesn't use the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver - but instead their own "Apple protocol" driver. Is this "old news" and now there's an Apple-based Yamaha Steinberg USB driver?

Posted : 06/12/2016 3:07 am
Bad Mister

? Not at all, there has been a Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for Macintosh computers for many years now. iOS devices (which are portable devices and are very different from Macintosh computers) these include the iPhone/iPad/iPod - these devices require no driver (basically that means you must use the iOS system driver).

But there is and has been a Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for Windows and Macintosh computers dating back to MOX in synths, and farther back for digital mixers. If you connect a Yamaha synth that does both MIDI and audio via USB to a Macintosh computer - you must use the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver. This includes the following: MOX (2011), MX (2012) MOXF (2013), MONTAGE (2016)

Posted : 06/12/2016 4:06 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the distinction. Having eschewed Apple - ignorance is bliss and occasionally misinformed.

Posted : 06/12/2016 8:41 am
Topic starter

Many thanks for some really constructive comments. Working through Bad Mister's suggestions I should be able to solve the problem, which is really good to know. I'm not particularly familiar with Midi Routing so it might be a steep learning curve - but here goes. Thanks again.

Posted : 07/12/2016 4:08 pm
Topic starter

I've finally managed to get it together, thanks to all the constructive comments. By setting up an Aggregate Studio in Macbook Core Audio that includes both the Montage and Voicelive, I've got the Montage on Inputs 1 and 2 and the Voicelive on 3 and 4. I've designated one specific midi-out 'Harmonies' track in Logic back to the Voicelive to trigger harmonies in realtime as I sing them. In that way I can take any Logic midi track and drag it to the 'harmonies' track (or record something direct) and as I then sing the vocal lead line I've got exactly the harmonies I've programmed. I can then control the type of harmony or number of voices in Voicelive - single voice, higher / lower / choir / gender etc. together with pitch control. Now that everything's working as it should, I must say it is the most awesome setup for songwriting. I've used a number of keyboards from all leading makers including most recently the Motif, but the Montage is really the business - and to my mind, it's probably the most user-friendly as well. Thanks again for all the valuable comments.

Posted : 17/12/2016 9:21 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us