Notifications
Clear all

Hissing noise from Montage

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 neil
Topic starter

I am noticing a hiss on presets (key on) , it sounds like some noise gate . I have found a you tube vid and this is exactly what I am hearing . Please forward to ; 9:30 - 9:50 - I'M guessing it must be something to do with the sampling process ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3u_Z3Q8FM0

Posted : 10/04/2018 11:09 pm
 neil
Topic starter

btw someone left a comment right at the bottom of the thread it reads ''can hear a white gaussian noise on soft piano notes! Is it the recording? (1080p, high volume in my headphones).ο»Ώ'' . . So I am not the only one hearing this ?? I'm pretty disappointed as I was loving this instrument πŸ™

Posted : 10/04/2018 11:36 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Thread with "hissing" complaint on strings: https://yamahasynth.com/forum/17933-hissing-noise-on-last-two-highest-octaves-on-montage-8

Posted : 11/04/2018 8:37 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

I just played and also recorded CFX+FM EP, the one that is hissing awfully in the video and I get no hissing whatsoever. I wonder what went wrong in the video. Because that performance does not hiss.

Posted : 12/04/2018 5:54 pm
Bad Mister

Those who judge sound quality of mp3 audio should remember, sound is affected by the weakest link. When you find yourself listening intently at super loud volumes to a YouTube video with mp3 quality audio, please just chuckle a little at the tools you are using. Aim higher if you are doing critical analysis!

Listen closely enough to anything, it is imperfect. The question is is it useable. And that something each user determines for them selves. Anyone ever play a perfect acoustic piano? Anyone?

Posted : 12/04/2018 7:34 pm
Gabi
 Gabi
Estimable Member

why is it only hissing when he touches they keys? if the sound quality is overall bad, shouldnΒ΄t it hiss all the time? this video doesnΒ΄t do the motage justice because it seems like the hiss comes from playing they keys of the montage.

Posted : 12/04/2018 8:28 pm
 neil
Topic starter

Just to inform you the Montage 6 was returned to Yamaha for a Montage 8 and all is fine ... I now have a ''perfect'' grand piano Phil πŸ˜‰

Posted : 17/04/2018 1:00 pm
Bad Mister

Eye of the beholder... enjoy!

Posted : 18/04/2018 10:04 am
john
 john

I am noticing a hiss on presets (key on) , it sounds like some noise gate . I have found a you tube vid and this is exactly what I am hearing . Please forward to ; 9:30 - 9:50 - I'M guessing it must be something to do with the sampling process ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3u_Z3Q8FM0

Hi Neil..
Guess between here & Facebook the answer to this question has been solved. Sorry you had to get a new Montage, but it actually turned out better as you now have a Montage 8....Like those keys? Wish I had one, but didn't have the extra bucks at the time.....Oh well....Now I'm jealous. At least you know it was in the Montage itself and not with your equipment. Sometimes it happens, you just got a Montage with a problem. Glad it's all fixed now....and it greww some more keys....lol...

Posted : 19/04/2018 4:44 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

I had this happen!
And it was caused at the time by Adjusting the.
Multi or Tone/eqfx/arp/ms (Can not remember which one.
Anyway. Something went out of whack. I powered off and Back on.
It has never happened again. But It certainly Raised some concern at the time.
Being a computer. It may have been a Bit in some memory spot. Not wiped?
So I would Theroize. That if Stuck with the noise. That area is never getting fully written over. Which would be a small Hardware part glitch.
Best guess.

Posted : 19/04/2018 11:20 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Is there a resolution for this outside of swapping keyboards? I do not think swapping keyboards would have anything to do with the root cause - and do not see the information in the "facebook" group that may be listing the resolution.

As far as knobs causing this -- certainly if you adjust the tone to emphasize high frequencies then you can get a hiss out of just about anything. So this type of behavior is not a glitch or problem.

Posted : 19/04/2018 11:51 pm
 Tom
Trusted Member

Well like I said. It never happened again. And That's all I had done. Was slightly adjust some knob settings.(Very minor adjustments)
Could have been caused by something Completely different?
I did relate the noise to something akin to a Distortion setting of some kind. But I was adjusting a Grand Piano.
This is something. That YA would have to have in front of them making the noise. To run it down.
You really can not even take a SWAG at this kind of problem. Virtually Anything could be causing it.

Posted : 20/04/2018 2:06 am
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us