Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Hold can I program ASSIGN SWITCH 1 to always be "on" in a particular performance?

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hold can I program ASSIGN SWITCH 1 to always be "on" when I select a particular performance versus having to manually remember to push it?

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted : 10/12/2016 8:13 pm
Bad Mister

Knowing that controllers all have a default condition to which they reset, should not prevent you from accomplishing your goal.

The normal default condition for the AsSw1/2 is to reset your OFF.

You can program the sound so that the opposite condition exists, and engaging the AsSw reverses it.

Or you can set Reset Controllers to "Hold" - this makes all of your physical controllers "live". They will not reset to the conventional defaults, but instead the last set condition will persist between programs.
Press [UTILITY]
Touch "Settings" > "MIDI I/O > set "Controller Reset" = Hold

Posted : 10/12/2016 8:30 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your response. I realize the default is OFF of course. My intention is not to globally set it to ON, but only do it performance by performance. I have tried to STORE this configuration with no success.

That is what I wish to have assistance with, if there's a way.

Thanks BM

Posted : 12/12/2016 1:03 am
Bad Mister

Then you must reprogram the sound so that the condition you desire is active ... The normal default condition for the AsSw1/2 is always going to reset to Off, this means if you are activating AS to recall a certain condition, you must program the Part so that this condition exist at the time the program is recalled.

The MW is an example of a controller that will reset to 0 (off) - if you wish the parameter it is assigned to control to be there when the program is recalled, you must edit the program accordingly. For example, say it is set to change Slow (Rotary Speaker) to Fast, since the reset will always recall Slow, you can change the program so Fast is the stored setting, and is recalled by the reset condition.

Can you give a Performance or Part you wish to reprogram?

Posted : 12/12/2016 11:29 am
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

FM Drawbar Organ 1 for example. I wish AsSw1 to be ON (I believe it is the "chorus" function). I realize I must reprogram this somehow, I just don't seem to be able to find the right page to do this on.

Posted : 12/12/2016 12:37 pm
Bad Mister

AsSw1 is increasing the VAR SEND (the Send amount to the Variation Effect: Tremolo) which when recalled is 0.
You can see this in two places:
_ From the HOME screen > touch "Mixing". On the mixer you'll see the VAR Send amount.
_ Alternatively, you can view the overall Routing of the Part's Effects: Press [EDIT] > press [PART SELECT 1] > touch "COMMON" (lower left corner of the screen) > "Effects" > "Routing"

Set the amount of Variation Send you desire, by ear.

Now, to reverse the Controller Assignment
Navigate to Part 1 > touch "Mod/Control" > "Control Assign"
Activate "Auto Select" (green)
Press the [AsSw1] to view its assignment

Change the RATIO to a negative value - this will decrease the Variation Send amount.

[STORE] your Performance.
Now it will default to the VAR SEND amount you desire and the Switch will deactivate the Send.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/12/2016 1:07 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

I don't think you can save assignable switch 1&2 default settings. What you can do is edit a user curve so the triangle is reversed (flip outer left and outer right values on output line - starting with 127 for left-most output and 0 for right-most output, then work your way in to the middle flipping each). This will end up with a down-slope triangle as a user curve you can use to replace the up-slope triangle. Keeping the ratio the same as the default, you will reverse the polarity of the switch so how the switch worked when ON is now how the switch responds when OFF.

To get there:

1) Press [PERFORMANCE] (HOME)
2) Touchscreen (TS): Press the "1 FM Drawbar Organ 1" in SMALL FONT (next to "Name") - this is the individual PART - notice there is a number "1" there for PART 1.
3) TS: Touch the "Edit" selection which pops up on the left-hand side
4) TS: Make sure lower-left-hand corner "Common" is highlighted in cyan (blue-green color), touch this square if not
5) TS: Select left-hand menu item "Mod/Control" -> "Control Assign"
6) TS: Make sure "Auto Select" (near top, near left) is highlighted. If not, touch this square
7) Press the [ASSIGN 1] button - you will see the system respond by filling in "Destination 4" with "Var Send", also notice you have an "up ramp" next to the "Curve Type"
8) TS: Touch the "Curve Type" area - and change this to an unused user curve, then press [ENTER] physical button
9) TS: Touch "Edit User Curve"
10) TS: Only change outputs (bottom row of numbers). Should end up with: 127 108 90 72 54 36 18 0 - which is opposite what the defaults are.
11) Press the [EXIT] button or TS: touch very top of touchscreen area where there is an up arrow next to "Edit - User Curve" to return to previous screen
12) You can press the [STORE] button to save this as your own performance with modified [ASSIGN 1] control (opposite).

Edit: Didn't see BM's response until I finished mine - probably both responding at same time. BM's method involves less work. Increase the VarSend value to the final value - then have the assign switch subtract from that larger value to arrive back at the default for the preset FM Drawbar Organ 1 sound. Since ramps are used so frequently, having a reverse ramp may not be a bad user curve to have saved.

Both ways end up at the same place.

Posted : 12/12/2016 1:19 pm
Bad Mister

No need to setup a "Curve" for an ON/OFF Switch, as only 0 and 127 are relevant.

Posted : 12/12/2016 3:09 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, that worked like a charm!!

Posted : 12/12/2016 5:47 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

... the curve is a general approach which retains the original shape the programmer uses which leverages the "ratio" as a means for adjustment. Also saving this backwards curve as a user curve allows for reuse (as mentioned previously) for other controls that use ramps and want a reverse control method which replicates the same basic programming characteristics using ratio in the same manner as the original forward curve.

Work invested was meant to apply to many situations and not necessarily custom tailored to this single instance.

Although it is true that buttons are fully on or fully off so only input=0 and input=127 positions on the curve have any relevance. Input is the left-to-right position along the curve while output is the value fed, at that input position, to the destination parameter(s).

Glad you found something that works for you. Solving "how do I?" hurdles like this help build your arsenal using the flexible architecture of Montage and eventually you can create your own useful responses to control sources to help add dimensions to your own user performances.

Posted : 12/12/2016 10:56 pm
Gary
 Gary
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply Jason. I certainly see your point and am glad to have learned from both your and BM's solution to this particular "how to."

Posted : 13/12/2016 1:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us