Yeah, it an useless Parts 9-16

Posted : 13/09/2016 11:44 am
 Tho
Trusted Member

Yeah, it an useless Parts 9-16

Posted : 13/09/2016 11:47 am
 Tho
Trusted Member

Yeah Rod, it's an useless for Parts 9-16, The Keyboard Control zone is grey-out by itself...Parts 9-16 is still have sound, but the ARP did not follow the Chord you played, it just stay in the same Chord at all the time...But when you Press the Part Control button, and Press Part 1-8 and it works again as you expect...
So basically Parts 9-16 are useless if you want to add more sounds for your Live Set Performance, not like Yamaha advertised that Montage has 16 parts lay-out

[/URL][/img]

Posted : 13/09/2016 11:47 am
 Tho
Trusted Member

Here is the Youtube Video that my Son asked me to try the Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUy41NupGic

Posted : 13/09/2016 12:58 pm
 Hale

Yep. Having only 8 functional parts for live performance (not using DAW) doesn't mean much when so many of the Performances take up 4 Parts by themselves. Those 8 Parts get eaten up really fast. This was a big disappointment for me when I discovered that.

Posted : 13/09/2016 4:25 pm
 Tho
Trusted Member

Hale, I am on the same boat

Posted : 13/09/2016 4:44 pm
 Phil
Eminent Member

There seems to be some confusion here. A performance can have up to 16 parts with a maximum of 8 being under keyboard control - ie parts that can be played simultaneously. The remaining can then be single parts that are accessed with the part control buttons.

Posted : 13/09/2016 6:14 pm
Michael Trigoboff
Honorable Member

Having only 8 functional parts for live performance (not using DAW) doesn't mean much when so many of the Performances take up 4 Parts by themselves. Those 8 Parts get eaten up really fast.

I can't remember where I saw this (it was some video I watched yesterday), but you can actually use all 16 Parts. The limitation is that you can have only one multi-Part "voice."

Add your multi-Part voice somewhere in slots 1-8. Turn on Keyboard Control for only those Parts. Then set your touchscreen to the 16-Part Mixing display.

If you select the title of the Performance, your multi-Part voice will play. For any other Part, you can select that Part either with the orange buttons or on the touchscreen, and that Part will play regardless of whether it's in slots 1-8 or slots 9-16.

Posted : 14/09/2016 4:27 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hello Hale and Tho - been playing around a little - as you say, quite a few Performances use up 4 or 5 Parts, which really puts a crimp in User mixes with only 8 Parts available (whingemoan), but if you look hard at these multi-part Performances you find that 2 or 3 of the Parts have little impact on the actual sound in practical terms. They are icing on the cake, perfectionistic in nature. So I delete them, and that gives me enough room to do what I want to do. It may be sonic vandalism, and my apologies to the original mixers, but needs must ...

Posted : 14/09/2016 7:04 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Making custom parts with my own mix of elements works for me in order to "compress" the part usage. It's rare that I need parts to be split apart on a per-sound basis and I would generally combine two sounds (multiple elements) within a single part when layered to play at the same time.

Coming from a 4 "zone" paradigm - 8 is enough.

I believe there was another post about how to get all 16 parts under keyboard control. I have not reread the post to see if a step-by-step procedure was outlined that could be duplicated.

... back to clarify something I categorized as an annoyance:

"The slight annoyance is that I have to keep track of how many times I press [CATEGORY SEARCH] on the stage instead of something like defaulting to "User" when I press [CATEGORY SEARCH] from any other screen -- or maybe a long press to jump straight to user - or some more deterministic way to get to the area I'm interested in."

As it turns out, [CATEGORY SEARCH] does support a long press. A long press on [CATEGORY SEARCH] will bring you to the "All" bank.

For me, by default the "Main" category is always piano. This is another annoyance. In order to button-press to "All" as the main category, press the Part/[COMMON] button (which is just to the left of the Number A [1]-[8] row of buttons.

Knowing that [CATEGORY SEARCH] can work as long press, my new annoyance on this is that a long press is very long indeed. Perhaps if I could tune the amount of mS to count as a long press (464mS-2000mS in 12mS steps - which is 464+(0*12) mS through 464+(128*12) mS) this would help "tune" the long-press duration according to individual preference.

It seems currently the long press is 2000mS which is why I made that the top-end. 464 is almost a short press - but certainly gives a good range of choices as 12mS steps are fairly granular.

Back to the tutorial type information:

Also sticking with the [CATEGORY SEARCH] menu, you'll notice that pressing Number A [1]-[16] choose the main category except for "All" which was previously documented as being the PART/[COMMON] button. And also except for "No assign" which is the [MUTE] button to the right of the "PART SELECT 1-16" area (Number A [1]-[16] area, or also this button shows "BANK" with up/down arrows), and except for "Init" which is the [SOLO] button just to the right of the previously mentioned mute button. The Number A [1]-[16] buttons have in the you-cant-read-the-dark-blue-against-black font labeled with the category name. Under Bank and under the Part/COMMON silkscreen - they could have put the blue font for the meanings of these buttons to self-document but perhaps this was a firmware update after the chassis design was completed.

The Number B [1]-[8] buttons (which are under the "MOTION SEQ SELECT" silkscreen -- note: silkscreen = the process to make the text) select the sub-category.

Finally, the Number C [1]-[8] buttons (under the "ARP SELECT" silkscreen) select one of the first 8 performances. Number C [1]-[4] representing the first row on the screen (since there are 4 performances per row) and Number C [5]-[8] selecting among the performances on the 2nd row on the screen. The [MUTE]/[SOLO] (with "PAGE" under the buttons) will jump to the next set of 8 performances. They jump by 8 instead of a full screen to allow for the buttons to select any of the performances without having to use the touchscreen.

Back to the sounds, and "limits" of number of parts, etc:

If anything, I'm a bit annoyed by the workflow in the "flat" model (where performance is the only mode). Because of this, many of our building blocks in terms of preset PARTS do not stand on their own. Lots of piano parts just cover a certain dynamic. Or other parts require combining multiple parts to create what was previously a single voice. I would almost prefer all of the pianos, as an example, to use single-part construction so I wouldn't hit a "minefield" of preset parts that do not work on their own. There are examples of a usable preset part for this purpose such as "Concert GrandPiano". However "CFX Concert" does not fit this model as it requires pairing with other parts as "CFX Concert" does not, by default, respond to hard attacks (only covers 2-92 velocity and not 93-127). All of this is manageable, as I can build my own custom performance more-atomic building-blocks. The existing preset PARTS would be much more functional if made more in the convention of a voice.

To reiterate, none of this is necessarily a problem that we cannot get around - but the choice of assembly of presets could also do a better job of highlighting how easy it can be to create your own performance without introducing as many barriers for the "snorkelers".

Posted : 14/09/2016 9:58 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us