Notifications
Clear all

how can I change cutoof on one part while playing another

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

HI I must have forgotten how to do this, but can you please help me. I want to play part 3 under keyboard control but then while Im doing that I want to control the filter cutoff offset for part 2 (which is a bass arp playing). So far I can switch parts tweak the knob and then switch back to keep playing part 3. But isnt there way to do so with user knobs without switching parts? I cant use the superknob because that is controlling another common effect that I cant change.

Posted : 30/09/2020 2:46 am
Bad Mister

HI I must have forgotten how to do this, but can you please help me. I want to play part 3 under keyboard control but then while Im doing that I want to control the filter cutoff offset for part 2 (which is a bass arp playing). So far I can switch parts tweak the knob and then switch back to keep playing part 3. But isnt there way to do so with user knobs without switching parts?

That is exactly what the Super Knob does! Allow you to change settings on any of the 16 Parts whether you are in direct KBD CTRL of them or not. But how are you not in KBD CTRL of an Arp Part (?)... typically, if you are using an Arp, you are controlling that Arp.

I cant use the superknob because that is controlling another common effect that I cant change.

The Super Knob is a macro Controller, it can change multiple things — but if you cannot figure how to do both simultaneously - you’ll need to provide info about why you “can’t change“ it... if you can’t change it why is it assigned to the Super Knob??? That makes no sense without a reason why?

If Part 2 is under control of an Arp, then it would follow that you already have it under KBD CTRL — It makes no sense when you say it is under Arp control (— ‘bass arp playing’ —) who’s feeding it note information??? Is it not under KBD CTRL? If it is under KBD CTRL then *YOU* can control it. (If it is under control of an external device, please let us know, but we can hardly make that assumption with information)

...if you want to change the filter of cutoff of Part 2, while playing Part 3 — you could place both Parts 2 and 3 under KBD CTRL and use a dedicated Common Assign Knob for the task. Since it is a bass Part you can use Note Limits to region the control over its Arp to a portion of the keyboard... it does not make sense that you need to be ’switching parts‘ to control it (?) if it’s under control of an Arp, who’s controlling it?

Can you post what you have or better explain what you’re trying to do.

Possible Solution - (assuming you are controlling the active Bass Arp)
Assuming what you currently described is NOT actually what is happening: if you are controlling the Bass with an Arp, then it is under KBD CTRL.
Select Part 2 and drop into EDIT
Tap “Mod/Control” > “Control Assign”
Add Cutoff as a target Destination
Find an empty Destination, tap “+”
Set a Part Assign Knob to Cutoff in Part 2.
Set the Curve Type, Polarity, Ratio, etc (if you want to both Open and Close the filter from its stored condition use Bi Polarity
Once you have this assignment
Tap the box that “Edit Common Control Setting” — this is how you will link it to the upper Common level and an available COMMON Assign Knob.
Here you will add “+” a Destination that is to control the Bass Part’s Assign Knob that is Cutoff
So you will be adding “Part 2 Assign X” where x is the Part2 Assign Knob # that is Cutoff

Remember, you can unLink any of the upper Common Assign Knobs from Super Knob movement... this will make this particular knob dedicated to the Cutoff offset of Part 2. UnLinking it will allow you to directly turn that Knob to specifically control the Bass’ filter Cutoff, independent of the Super Knob

Unlink this Common Knob from Super Knob Control:
From HOME, touch “Motion Control” > “Super Knob” > unLink the Common Assign Knob

If, as you have written, the Bass is not under KBD CTRL — tell us how you are feeding it Notes to Control what it plays???
Perhaps we can suggest a different strategy to accomplish the ultimate goal. If your not directly controlling the bass (perhaps using a Pattern would be better).

We can post an example, if you wish... let us know.

Posted : 30/09/2020 10:32 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks. I had gotten into the habit of taking everything off keyboard control. What I do is play a single bass note with Arp hold on then I switch to part 3 and play over it. I tend to do this with drums as well. Anyhow after I posted this I tried placing everything under keyboard control and then selecting part 2 and playing . It works now. The thing that keeps messing me up is the arp note limit setup. I wish there was a more forward way of managing that rather than going into the part edit. I keep getting it confused with the the regular note limit parameters. BUt anyway I figured it out.

Im going to experiment with unlinking some of the common knobs as you suggested. I want to see what can be done using this method.

Posted : 30/09/2020 11:29 am
Bad Mister

__ The Note Limit you see on the Home screen, set what notes will SOUND from the Part in question. (Part Note Limits)
__ The Note Limit you see on the Part Edit Arpeggio screen determine what notes will *CONTROL* the Arp. (Arp Note Limits)

You can better understand these by setting the HOME screen Part Note Limits so that only the Kick and Snare are *sounding* from an Arp assigned to a Drum Kit Part
It is possible to use just certain drum sounds — say you only want to use the Hihats from a certain Arp Phrase you would set the Part Note Limits so the range was F#1 - A#1. Totally separately (since the Arp “plays” the drums) you can trigger the start of the hihats with any note or range of notes you desire.

You can then set the Arp Note Limits to any single Note (so only when you touch that note does the Drum Arp begin. This is useful when you have a piano introduction and you want the drum Arp to start on the last note you play (you can also define it by Velocity.

Once you start using this difference it becomes clearer.

Notice how you need to set the Arp Note Limits to keep your right hand from influencing what the bass plays.

Posted : 30/09/2020 1:50 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Concerning ARP note limits vs. Part note limits:

I keep getting it confused with the the regular note limit parameters.

I mentioned this as a problem I had with Motif ES era Yamaha gear. That it's easy with all of the note limits to get them jumbled up. I think today the situation is slightly improved. However, the basic architecture and basic approach remains very close to what's been done in the past. I still think something can be learned, from a GUI perspective, to better indicate how these note limits are different and what they do.

It's the sort of thing that bites you a couple of times then you learn. Maybe we can arrive at something more intuitive and reduce the "getting bitten" stage.

Posted : 30/09/2020 4:10 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

I agree with you Jason. It wasnt the main problem of my original post but now that I think about it. What if the note limit on the home screen switched between the standard note limit range and arp note range having some toggle on the left side where the keyboard button is displayed (in the side bar). then we could switch these parameters seemlessly from the home screen instead of menu diving.

Or perhaps if we press and hold the arp button on the touch display the note limit switch to arp note limit with a different color or something

Posted : 30/09/2020 6:07 pm
Bad Mister

It kind of makes sense to have the Part Note Limits on the main Home screen... and the Arp Note Limits where you can set the Arps.

While on the HOME screen touch “Motion Control” > “Arpeggio” > here you can see the an overview of the currently active Arp Select. You can review which of the 8 KBD CTRL Parts have Arp’s active; You can see/search and set the Arp Type (Category/Name), the Arp Number, and enter the Arp Range (both Velocity and Note Limits) — these determine how the Arp is controlled/triggered.

Link ____ Part Limits and Arp Limits Explained
... although the description is for the MODX, it works similarly on the MONTAGE

Posted : 10/10/2020 3:09 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us