Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How can you get this absolutely beautiful piano sound from the Montage...?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

How can you get this absolutely beautiful piano sound out of the Montage...?

A lot of sustain, reverb, ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpbQjGdKLKM

Posted : 28/01/2017 6:31 pm
Bad Mister

...and practice! 🙂

Please see this article for ideas already programmed into these very playable, very adjustable acoustic pianos... adjust until you are happy:

Assignable Knob Study: Piano

Posted : 28/01/2017 6:46 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

Not sure if this is close enough in terms of the piano sound. I don't have the sustain pedal hooked up - so that would help.

https://clyp.it/u1smcshd

Just took CFX piano and adjusted the master effects.

As usual, this is recorded with the worst possible configuration. Not direct line-in. Laptop microphone recording a single (not stereo) reference monitor speaker - plenty of key noise to go along with it.

Posted : 28/01/2017 7:12 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hey, thanks everyone.

And, yes, practice 🙂

Posted : 28/01/2017 9:53 pm
david
Reputable Member

You could buy a stage piano like CP1 or a real piano. Sampled pianos will always have some limitations but Montage is as near to the best that you'll find on a synth. You can always add the BBE or a fine mixer and/or experiment with the tips and tricks as suggested herein. Another GIGANTIC factor will be your studio monitors and/or speakers. If you've ever played a real piano in the same room as an electronic reproduction there's no contest unless the sound system is phenomenal. If you're located out of the sweet spot it won't sound that good either. A stage piano has the task of reproducing the most realistic piano possible and not necessarily a synth.The Montage I love, it's just not a piano but does a good impersonation. The CP1 piano velocity range is unlimited, not really, but close and when you play it hard it gets really loud. The Montage stops well short of the type of response. It's much improved on the soft, delicate side and it does what it does well.

Posted : 28/01/2017 11:10 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello G - I would think 'Pianoteq' because of the clarity of both upper and lower registers. They produce a program of mathematically modelled pianos of outstanding quality, and it's standalone - doesn't need a DAW - and Montage can drive it. Expensive, but so is a Bechstein - and they go back in time, as well, with 18th: century pianos. I'm saving up ...

Then again, as BM cogently pointed out, the pianist was a Master ...

Posted : 29/01/2017 7:42 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

If you favor something more "plug and play": Moody CFX or CFX Shrine also come close to that kind of sound. I rolled up the EQ in the mid-high and high by using the [EQ/FX] button and using the knobs to accomplish that. Also, most of these pianos with effects have mod-wheel control for the delay/reverb effect amount which can be "rolled back" by putting the modwheel in something other than the bottom position. I roll it back about a 1/4 turn - suit to taste.

Posted : 29/01/2017 7:48 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks again everyone!

Posted : 29/01/2017 8:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us