Notifications
Clear all

How connect a super knob to assign knob

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm very in trouble because I can't undesteand how to connect a superknob to the single knob. For example I've just added a part inside a program that come from other program and the new part lost the connection with superknob. This part have a modulation wheal that controol rotary speed and I wish that superknob make the same effect but I can't obtain it. So I assign to asgnknob 8 of this part the same function (rotary speed controol) but again superknob don't act any changing in the rotary speed, instead asgnknob 8 work well. So my question is how can I connect the superknob to the function of asgnknob 8 or connect to the function to the modulation wheal to change the rotary speed with superknob?

Posted : 30/07/2016 2:47 pm
Bad Mister

We have written an entire series of articles on "Programming Basics" - if you are ready to start programming we think it is worth your time.

Here's what to do.
The Super Knob automatically controls the upper Common/Audio level AssignKnobs.
You can link your Part's AssignKnob with one of the eight upper Common/Audio level AssignKnobs.

Say you want the Super Knob to control a function in Part 1... You would determine what Part Knob you want to link to the Super Knob... You said AssignKnob8... meaning that in Part 1, you have made a setting that has AssignKnob 8 controlling a paramter directly. If Part 1's Assign Knob 8 needs to move with the Super Knob... Here's the setting:

Press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON] - you're on that upper Common/Audio level of editing
Touch "Control" > "Control Assign)
Here you can see the Source/Destination Control Assignment boxes...
There can be 16 such assignments per edit level, they are shown four per PAGE.
If you wish to ADD a control set, find the large "+" sign to create a new DESTINATION setting

A pop-in screen comes in from the left, select PART 1
Select ASSIGN 8
So that the "Destination" setting is "Part 1 Assign 8" > Enter
The "Source" box is the knob on the upper Common/Audio level that will link to Part 1's, AssignKnob 8 and control its movement. By default that upper level knob matches movement of the Super knob. So by linking Part 1 Assign 8 with an upper level Knob (source) we have created a situation where the Super Knob is in charge of that parameter. As you'll learn in the articles, you can control exactly "how far" the parameter changes, at what value the parameter begins (stored), and in what direction(s) you can change it when the control is engaged!

Summary
If you picture that upper Common/Audio level as having 8 knobs that move automatically with the Super Knob, then when you drop down to Part edit, each Part has eight knobs of their own. But you can take a belt and link the Part's knob to one of the knobs up on the upper level. It's a system of customizable belts and gears, you link the movement of the individual Part's knob to the movement of an upper level knob, which is linked automatically to the Super Knob. That's it.

Please the Getting Started with Montage & Programming Basics series.

Posted : 30/07/2016 4:14 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Ok thanks a lot. I found it and it works. So it is not possible to link modulation wheal with superknob but it is only and automatically linked to 8 knob.
Thanks.
Andrea

Posted : 30/07/2016 9:31 pm
Bad Mister

The MW is standard MIDI physical controller, with its own Control Change message number. It is the first assignable controller - if you think about it from the original MIDI specification viewpoint. It does not do anything specific, you must assign a function to it on a per program basis. Most often it does Pitch Modulation Depth (vibrato) but even that must be assigned on a per program basis. Its movement is not linkable to the Super Knob. Its movement is controlled by the physical Mod Wheel itself.

Posted : 30/07/2016 10:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us