Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How do you connect an external monitor to the Montage like in the Yamaha videos?

27 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

How do you connect an external monitor to the Montage like in the Yamaha videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wOnAaTNDeo

Posted : 23/01/2017 7:09 pm
david
Reputable Member

We're not allowed to talk about this feature 😉 . Actually, I use one continuously with my Montage, so much easier on the eyes. There's a thread around here with a list of functional devices that have been proven to work. Search for it when you have the time. If I find it I'll post back here.

Posted : 23/01/2017 10:19 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

LOL, huh? 🙂

The official Yamaha videos show it.

I tried to find the information - but can't...

Posted : 23/01/2017 10:31 pm
Bad Mister

It's not that we can't talk about it, it is more a non-supported 'feature'. It can be done but it is more of a 'hack' than an intended feature... if you get my meaning. The information available at the Montage's USB "TO DEVICE" (correction) port can be converted to an external screen... using a USB to VGA or HDMI converter.

It is a non-supported feature because it does not work with all converters and your mileage may vary greatly. You may have to power-on the Montage while connected to re-establish communication (there is no parameter control in the internal operation system - so you cannot adjust the aspect). There's a possibility it may not work with all screens, via all the converted options (VGA, HDMI, etc). You are basically finding something that works and using it (it's a "hack"). You can call Customer Support and get a more official description if you need one... but in plain speak it is an Easter Egg (a hidden feature) which can be exploited with the proper converter and screen. Because it is not officially supported by parameters within the system, you have little adjustments/tweaks you can make... so getting just any converter may not work.

Hope that helps

Posted : 23/01/2017 10:39 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

LOL, well, they shouldn't "tease" us like that by putting it in their official videos! 🙂

So is there a "thread" somewhere that explains how to do it?

And which converters and screens work?

Posted : 23/01/2017 10:45 pm
david
Reputable Member

Hold on. I'll find it. See my rig under the thread "Let's see your setup". Mine might be the last post with a photo.

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/let-s-see-your-setup (See my rig)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RM235I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I use this monitor but most might do)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIJE9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (This one is great but the monitor should be turned on first before the Montage as detection occurs at power-up)

This drive works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CCTOC2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also use the Plugable powered multi-usb port. Never use a USB non-powered "splitter".

Posted : 23/01/2017 11:23 pm
Jason
Illustrious Member

BM, the previous thread you said:

Reference: https://yamahasynth.com/forum/remote-display-of-montage-screen#reply-8637

The USB to VGA, or USB to HDMI would be connected to the TO DEVICE port, of course.

This thread you say

The information available at the Montage's USB "TO HOST" port can be converted to an external screen

Which version of your suggestion is correct?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Posted : 24/01/2017 6:11 am
david
Reputable Member

As I recall, "To Host" is for a computer only and "to device" is for a thumb drive for example and the external screen. This is the reason I also purchased the Plugable powered USB hub (7 port with charging) so I can have 7 USB ports available continuously and my screen uses one port and my thumb drive use another and I have 5 left for charging LED lights or other devices. It has never failed to function. NEVER use a non-powered USB splitter as it will mess something up or not work.

Posted : 24/01/2017 1:10 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello G - Montage is brilliant but not perfect, a few mistakes, the biggest of which was not adopting the tilt-screen principle already invented by Yamaha and utilised in the Tyros series - and then compounding the error by not providing support for an external monitor.

All is not lost, you can work around by using a StarTech USB 2.0 to VGA adapter with suitable resolution to match your monitor (assuming your intended monitor is VGA). Switch off your Montage and plug the USB end into the 'To Device' port (NOTE. It must be USB 2.0 - Montage can't handle USB 3.0), then plug your monitor into the VGA end. Switch on the monitor first. Then switch on the Montage. You may get a broad green band at the bottom of the screen (reason unknown) but the screen is reproduced so you can see it. You still have to touch the screen on the Montage, of course, even if your monitor is touch-screen, which partly defeats the object, but many actions can be button operated.

That does occupy the only 'USB to Device' port though (another mistake) but you can use a powered USB 4 port hub - it MUST be powered and not a splitter - which is plugged into the Montage port, and then the monitor and your USB back-up key plugged into that. This is not approved by Yamaha but seems to work OK. Others may have other solutions - I think mine is like David's in principle.

HOWEVER - it's all a lot of clutter, and I'm beginning to think along the lines of a 10" tablet instead of a 22" computer monitor - I have a Samsung Galaxy (with a USB adapter) that's been replaced by a Nexus 9, and wondered if that could be employed? I only want the screen at an angle so that I can see it rather than having to crouch over it all the time. ... has anyone tried this out?

Posted : 24/01/2017 1:52 pm
david
Reputable Member

Instead of a tilt touch screen Yamaha should have implemented wireless connectivity so that all of the screen functions could have been "remoted" to a handheld device or tablet where you could position at any convenient location, not go blind or get a neck injury. It's the year 2017 and not the stone ages. But then again Yamaha promised that we would certainly never, ever see a touch screen on a Yamaha synth. I'm glad that they broke that promise so I can't complain too much.

Posted : 24/01/2017 4:07 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thank you everyone!

Your help is GREATLY appreciated! 🙂

Posted : 24/01/2017 7:31 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello david - you have a point! I hope Yamaha have that one flagged up for a future model - I find they do listen, but are a bit slow on the uptake! I was going to try my Samsung Galaxy on the Montage, but found the battery quite dead! My own fault - I think it has been successfully revived, so will attempt to plug it in this afternoon ... in the meantime I have ordered up a new AmazonBasics 10 port USB 2.0 powered hub to use on my (overloaded) computer so I can transfer the 4 port APM USB 2.0 powered unit now on the computer to the Montage. All Go, ennit?

Posted : 25/01/2017 10:07 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

I agree, David, about a tablet pairing with Montage. From late Nov 2016:

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/remote-display-of-montage-screen

In the past, I've also mentioned that there is a lot of synergy and chance for innovation around pairing a tablet with the Montage (tethered). Having a touch display on a tablet along with some sequencing and sampling features on the tablet. Seems like a nice portable PC with added benefit of also providing a touchscreen interface. Offer an SDK ("ADK" for Android) for 3rd party enablement of the application design so perhaps Yamaha doesn't have to do this on their own. That doesn't help you in the here-and-now, but as users voice some critique for the display it opens the door to also feed back possible reasonable (longer term) solutions.

I said "tethered" as a means to simplify - but certainly wireless would be great - I just think that's more work because they would also have to support adding a USB 2.0 Wifi NIC which places a lot of burden on support if you leave it open - lots of burden on the supply chain if Yamaha is going to release their own version of a Wifi stick you purchase, and other hurdles. Already Yamaha supports tethered iOS devices - so for supporting those - it wouldn't be as huge of a stretch/departure beyond the current code-base and general strategy. I'm not an iOS user - so I'd prefer some support for Android - but this is another "how do you support it" issues because iOS does have the benefit of only one hardware platform whereas Android has many hardware platforms and not all handle the USB interconnect/features in a uniform manner.

Posted : 25/01/2017 11:00 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello all, well, I 've tried my Samsung Galaxy on the Montage, with zero result. Checking the Montage was in USB mode, I switched it off and plugged in the Galaxy, then switched the Galaxy on, then the Montage, The Galaxy chirped, so something recognised something - but that was it, Tried the other way round - Montage first, then the Galaxy (chirped again) but no other result. Unplugged the Galaxy then plugged it back in - another chirp but nothing else. I guess it ain't gonna work! So back to Plan B ...

Posted : 25/01/2017 1:11 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Is there a way to use one monitor but split the video feeds?

So you can use the monitor to show the Montage's screen - but then also use the same monitor to show your computer screen (for sheet music, etc...)?

Posted : 25/01/2017 5:33 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us