Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How do you connect an external monitor to the Montage like in the Yamaha videos?

27 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
david
Reputable Member

That might be a function of the monitor itself (2 signal inputs for split screen) or computer (video card) whether it can receive 2 independent signals and display them separately.

Also see here for photos of a powered multi-USB hub and remote screen in action when connected to the Montage.

https://yamahasynth.com/forum/the-montage-seems-to-be-fingerprint-resistant

Posted : 25/01/2017 5:47 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello G - I think I've figured it out. I've gone back to my old CTX 4 x 3 monitor as it's better for what I use it for, and have sent away for a 2 x VGA inputs + 1 x VGA output switch, plus a USB2 to VGA converter for the Montage (not all work - I'll come back on that). The idea is to switch between the Montage screen and the computer as required. I'll set all that up with a 4 port powered USB hub for the Montage so I can keep the back-up USB key as well as drive the monitor, and have re-hashed my music room to get rid of some of the clutter. When I have all the gear and set it all up, I'll come back with how it all works - or not!

Posted : 26/01/2017 10:25 am
david
Reputable Member

Of course the LED I bought was only $140 on Amazon and smaller ones even cheaper. They are so cheap now days that you can simply put (2) monitors side by side and have separate feeds to each. Really no reason to split the screen and to accomplish that split might even cost you more money and wasted time to get it to function properly.

Posted : 26/01/2017 2:41 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello david - I see where you're coming from, but two monitors side by side prevents easy access behind them (which I would need), and one of them would have to be out of the line of sight. I have two 22" monitors, but they're too big and not needed, so I've gone back to my 15 year old CTX 4 x 3 which is the right shape and size to fit neatly right where I want it - directly above the Montage screen. I agree there may be times when having to switch to the computer (say for a reference to the Manual) may be a nuisance, but not much of one for me - I don't have a DAW nor do I intend to have one - I make sounds, not music - so my solution would not suit everyone.

Posted : 26/01/2017 4:28 pm
david
Reputable Member

Isn't a CRT about 16" deep and weighs about 35lbs with a fishbowl display? How is that not a major obstruction in the back? You could hang ultra light, thin LED panels from the ceiling or mount to the wall and occupy no space. Most have attachments that are accessible from the sides/bottom etc. I'm not sure of your setup in the space you are using obviously.

Posted : 26/01/2017 5:11 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello david - not CRT - CTX. The maker's name (probably don't exist any more!). It's a flat-panel with about a 12" x 9" display. It is quite heavy though. State-of-the-art when I bought it in 2001, but still works perfectly and most importantly, I can place it in line-of-sight directly above the Montage screen. Haven't got the gear yet (Amazon have now confirmed all 3 items have been dispatched) so don't know how it'll work in practice, but I very much like how easy it is to switch from the monitor to the Montage screens - distance is important, as I have to wear reading glasses, and their depth of field isn't great!

Posted : 27/01/2017 6:50 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Just a general note here. Although it's great to be getting support from other users regarding how to multiplex video feeds - this is completely outside the domain of Montage. The video output itself is an unofficial feature with limited support. Once you've managed to get a video signal out of Montage - I would say your best support would come from a different source that deals with these topics. Even your local electronics store which sells monitors and switching equipment is a good source. Here, this would be Microcenter or Fry's for the widest selection of solutions. A "KVM switch" (keyboard video mouse) may be the ticket as it allows your keyboard to use a special key sequence to switch between video feeds.

There are a number of computer savvy folks here - it's the nature of a device which integrates with computers. But you may find better support with more options to choose from that fit your needs by going closer to a computer/monitor support group or store.

Posted : 27/01/2017 2:20 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello Jason, and thank you - you may well be right and worth a look. I must say I'm astonished that a synth that goes so far down the path of computer integration should be missing such basic facilities as external monitor support! Hope Yamaha are listening for future efforts ...

Phase 1 is complete. The AmazonBasics 10 port USB2.0 powered hub arrived yesterday, and has been installed without problems on my Sony Vaio computer in place of the APM 4 port USB2.0 powered hub that was there. The APM has been connected to the Montage (which has its own dedicated computer), and is working perfectly with my USB back-up key plugged in. The Montage also recognises and lists other USB keys plugged into the hub. A bonus is that the APM is now mounted on top of the Montage at the right hand end, so no more upside-down fumbling round the back! Happy so far ...

Posted : 29/01/2017 9:12 am
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello again - finally assembled all the bits for an external monitor for the Montage. I had replaced the big screen with a smaller one better shaped for the job, and mounted it immediately above the Montage screen. Then I plugged an APM 4-port powered USB2 hub into the Montage, and it accepted it without problems, listing the USBs plugged into it. Then the external video card arrived - which is a StarTech USB2VGAPRO2 adapter which is plugged into a spare port on the 4-port hub. It does not require any installation, unlike on a computer. Finally the 2VGA in to 1 VGA out switch arrived - a Konig 2VGA switch. The computer VGA cable goes into IN 1, and the StarTech VGA cable is plugged into IN 2, while the OUT cable is plugged into the monitor (cables not supplied!). When powering up. switch the computer on first with the switch to IN 1 (computer), and once the start-up screen is established, switch the switch to IN 2 (Montage) and then switch on the Montage. The screen will light up, then go green and then the Montage screen will appear. There will be a broad green band across the bottom 20% of the screen, no idea why, but it does not interfere with the repeat screen. What a relief not to have to keep craning over to see what's there! It doesn't take long to learn to use the pointer on the Montage screen when you have to. A whole lot more comfortable.

I'll attach a picture of the old set-up, and then the new set-up ...

Attached files

Posted : 03/02/2017 8:06 pm
david
Reputable Member

Great Rod. Remember that if your monitors are not in their strategic (recommended) locations then your sound will not be good. Basically between your 10 and 2 o-clock and your 11 and 1 o'clock and at ear level and about 4 feet away from your head. You're looking for the sweet spot of the sound field. If you turn your body 90 degrees or 180 to further away then you've just lost your stereo field and the sweet spot. You might ponder then why it isn't sounding right. Think of studio monitors as head phones. If you move your head or body then they must move with you.

Posted : 03/02/2017 9:31 pm
Rod
 Rod
Estimable Member

Hello david - agreed! The (sound) monitor you can see (and its twin you can't) are switched off as they're not up to the demands of the Montage, although they're fine with the Korg and the Tyros. Surprisingly, my little Sony mini-hifi is better with the Montage (it offers a respectable 100 watts output), and the speakers are tucked under the famous kitchen table the Montage stands on - along with a ton of other stuff. Ir's OK for me, as my hearing is no longer that good anyway, though it obviously wouldn't suit lots of others! I've removed the Tyros MS02 system that I used for a while. as the amplifier proved to be faulty, dropping out at low velocity or low volume. I'm still trying to convince myself to buy a pair of KRK Rokit 6s, but I worry they'll be no better than the Alesis M1s ...

Posted : 04/02/2017 3:27 pm
 G
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Any of the updates (1.6 now) enhance this external monitor "feature"?

Maybe enabling an external touchscreen monitor...?

Or is Yamaha ignoring it all together?

Posted : 12/11/2017 4:42 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us