Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

how do you put motion sequence on note hold?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

i can't seem to figure this out but the montage arpeggio can do this easily which is to play a note and let go and arpeggio keeps playing through note "hold".. is there an equivalent to a motion sequence? thanks..

Posted : 17/01/2018 7:33 pm
Bad Mister

Putting a MotionSequence on "Note Hold" is a bit of an oxymoron, as MSeqs are not Notes, but in the "spirit" of the question: Yes, it’s called “Loop” and by setting the Motion Sequence Loop = On the Motion Sequence will continue.

But understand that Motion Sequences are not Notes.
Arpeggios are principally Note Data.
Motion Sequences are principally parameter (controller) Data.

You cannot hear controller data in the absense of the sound it is being applied to, so even though a Motion Sequence maybe in action, unless a sound is being acted upon Motion Sequences are silent. In other words, opening and closing the filter in the absense of a sound doesn’t sound like much.

There are 8 Motion Sequence Lanes that can be active on the Parts of a Performance, plus a *separate* MS that can be created to automate the Super Knob movement.

Posted : 17/01/2018 9:57 pm
Topic starter

Chris wrote:

Hi this question made me think. Is there a way to modulate the speed or timing of a motion sequence lane for example assigning it to the modwheel?

exactly what i want to know also.. this would be a really cool feature..

Posted : 23/01/2018 12:09 am
Topic starter

Chris wrote:

Hi this question made me think. Is there a way to modulate the speed or timing of a motion sequence lane for example assigning it to the modwheel?

you can come close instead of using a motion sequence you could use by a Part LFO instead and design your own waveform and then you can modulate the speed of the LFO through the modwheel..

Posted : 23/01/2018 12:12 am
Bad Mister

The speed of a Motion Sequence is tied to the MONTAGE Clock for tempo, adjusting the tempo will adjust the speed of the Motion Sequence. Clock sources can be internal tempo, external MIDI, audio via A/D Input.

The Motion Sequencer has six dedicated Knobs that adjust Swing, Unit Multiply, Amplitude, Shape, Smooth, and Random.

[Unit Multiply] will change how the Motion Sequence refereces the Clock.
100% = a tempo
50% = double time
200% = cut time
Etc., etc.

Motion Sequences can be made to loop, play once, or play when triggered.

Btw- MW would be a good choice for controlling speed if you only need to *increase* the speed from the stored value. MW Sends 0-127
Using a dedicated Knob would allow you to increase or decrease the speed from the stored value.

Posted : 23/01/2018 3:59 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Tempo control using knobs is a weakness since tempo is not a destination which can be offset (yes, there are other destinations which can affect the slice/dice of tempo - but not tempo itself - probably due to the perception of "circular reference") and Montage took away the tempo knob previously on Motif and MO-series.

Depending on the granularity of tempo change you need - the existing system may not work for your application.

A work-around is slaving to an external clock source which itself has a knob control. Perhaps with MIDI control as well and assign an assignable knob with CC output to the external clock's MIDI tempo control.

This is similar to having to have an external rotating speaker pedal/effect because Montage's previous firmware rotating speaker emulation didn't measure up. Having to add external gear to get around internal limitations is sometimes worked on (ex: improved rotating speaker effect). This tempo control shortcoming (relative to previous gen) hasn't been taken up by the firmware team as far as I can tell.

... or you can use the Yamaha suggestion to tap tempo, (doesn't work well for me in intended performance usage)
... or the other suggestion to navigate to a menu with the touch-screen then fool around with the jog wheel - which itself has limitations in how fast/slow it (the jog wheel) affects tempo. (doesn't work well for me in intended performance usage)

performance with a lowercase "p" meaning having an audience in front of me - not the "Performance" which is the Montage collection of PARTs version of the word.

Posted : 24/01/2018 6:51 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us