Notifications
Clear all

How I Record

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Scott
Topic starter

Just wanted to share my preferred way to record my Montage - The Tascam DP-32. This unit sends MIDI sync so all I need to do is lay down tracks as I'm inspired. No computer, no messing with the sequencer. I got it on close-out for $450. Note that newer models (Tascam DP-24SD and DP-32SD DO NOT HAVE MIDI!) - so if you want one you will need to find a used one or get lucky with a retailer that still has old stock.

I don't know of any other recorders currently on the market that have MIDI -- If anyone knows, please share!

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Really loving the Montage -- the key to enjoying gear is to use it as intended and not try to make it something it's not. 😉

Attached files

Posted : 31/07/2016 1:43 am
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 31/07/2016 2:49 pm
Peter

My Fostex MR16 has a midi-out socket, is that suitable?

Posted : 31/07/2016 10:47 pm
Scott
Topic starter

Peter wrote:

My Fostex MR16 has a midi-out socket, is that suitable?

Yes! It has a MIDI Sync setting -- see your manual for the exact procedure.

What I do is send the MIDI sync to the Montage and record a basic drum track as a "reference" and let it record for the length of the song I want to make.
Then on separate tracks I record all the arps for the song - bass, chords, etc.
Next, I go back and find a drum kit with patterns and sounds that will work with the various parts of the song and dub those on a new track.

After that I go back and record new tracks for the rest of the song (vocals, stabs, etc) -- You can record over the original drum reference track as it is no longer needed.

That's pretty much it.

One thing I am trying to figure out is a way to make the Montage only start when the recorder starts like it does with my drum machine but so far it hasn't messed up the sync. Been having fun and getting some pretty good results right out of the gate, so I'm happy. From here I can only get better!

Posted : 31/07/2016 11:18 pm
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 31/07/2016 11:45 pm
Bernd

Erased by Bernd #2

Posted : 01/08/2016 2:46 am
david
Reputable Member

I had the DP-32 and sold it. I'm buying another one now, just rather not turn on a computer. Another benefit is that you take advantage of the PAC quality recording into the DP. I know it gets converted to a digital signal but doesn't it sound better than without PAC in the final mix?

Posted : 03/08/2016 6:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us